company for the heartbroken (1/2)

Lies and Love- Myungjong One-Shot Collection

*So here's the second update for today...

*I'll listen to pricked by winner now, so you enjoy as well guys...

 

 

“Just be honest man! If you like Krystal, just tell me then! Don’t act as if I’m the one insensitive to your feelings that you kept on avoiding me yet you approach her as if everything’s normal. You should have just said so in the beginning than wait for me to realize it after I’ve already confessed to her and told you every single thing I liked about her!”

“Damn it! I’m the insensitive one? Fine, put the blame in me! That’s what you’re great about right? If you’ll keep on calling me insensitive, well you’re an idiot! You’re an egoistic and selfish idiot!”

“I’m the first one who said that I like her, it’s not my fault that you’re too coward to admit it!”

“Yes, I’ve been too coward, ‘cause once I try to be honest, I’d be an outcast, and knowing you, you would never defend me at all, you’ll probably  resent me as well!”

“What do you-”

“What I’m saying is damn, I like you! I seriously like you! And you’ve been getting the wrong idea all this time! ‘Cause the truth is you have never really asked me about what’s wrong right? You have never actually cared and I’m stupid for still liking you after seeing how much you don’t deserve it at all!’

“You… you like me?”

No more words came from the petite boy, and before his tears could fall, he decided to run away. Before he could listen to what his best friend could say, before he could feel more pain.

Their feelings were never mutual, he knows that. Despite of those moments that he felt there was a chance for them, for something greater to bloom between them, it faded as fast as it started to invade his mind.

Some things were never meant to happen.

The next day, he avoided him every time the other tried to speak to him. He moves the opposite direction every time he sees him coming his way. He still smiled and helped him with getting the girl he always dreamed off, without telling him anything. And he cried when his effort paid off.

And the next days after, they never talked casually like the older days. And they graduated from high school without congratulating each other, nor wishing good luck.

And after escaping the gates towards another journey, they never met again.

---

“Aren’t you quite conceited young man?”

“Well, that’s one thing you like about me, right?”

“That’s one, but mostly because you were never boring. No dull moments when I’m with you.”

“Shut up, I’m cringing when you say that kind of words.’

A kiss on the head was the only response he got before the other snuggled closer to him, seeking for the comforting warmth he always gets when Sungjong is within his reach. And after a few hum, Hoya fell asleep with the smiling boy responding to his tight hug.

But the doll-eyed boy lost his bright smile once he was sure that his partner was deep in sleep. Even his hold loosened up. Every single day of experiencing Hoya’s love and care make him feel like a big liar, and guilt is slowly eating his conscience, knowing that there was never a moment that he expressed real affection to the older one.

Slowly, he reached out to his phone lying beside the lampshade which serves as the only source of illumination within the room. After looking at the peaceful sleeping face of his only companion, he dialed an unknown number and after hearing the voice from the other line, his face straightened and he removed the arm hugging him.

“My works done here. I’ll be leaving town tomorrow morning, so wait for me at the airport.”

Without hearing what the other would like to say in return, he quickly cut the connection and stood up, picking his clothes thrown carelessly on the floor earlier, and put it on as if it was normal for him to leave the sleeping figure in this hour, when he’s sure that he really is loved.

He has always done this and he shouldn’t be showing mercy to any subjects of his job, yet it doesn’t mean that he doesn’t’ feel sorry for every heart he has broken. Knowing that he himself has been broken too.

But he knows better than complain about the kind of living that gives him shelter, enough food, and money to pay debts and necessary expenses. Every task done means another month to live in ease and enough resources to survive on his own, being an orphan that lost everything. And remembering how much he had already saved, sooner or later, he might even go to college and get a degree in tourism.

Then he’ll be able to reach places he had always dreamed of visiting without the need to hurt another person in exchange.

Without leaving any note of him leaving all of a sudden, he took off, trying to erase from his mind the reaction that would show up in Hoya’s face tomorrow morning.

---

“Good job Sungjong! Here’s your fair share of the earnings. Luna is quite satisfied seeing his player ex-boyfriend with puffy eyes and distracted look. Anyways, where were you yesterday? You met with Taemin at the airport but you didn’t return together with him.”

Sungjong feels his head throb from the hangover, and he didn’t expect to drink that much yesterday, and he wasn’t even able to thank whoever that person who brought him home. And he still wonders how he might have told the directions to a stranger, and how he had opened the door with his keys when he was sure he couldn’t stand straight last night. Maybe it was all his body acting out what he got used to.

“I celebrated another work finished gracefully. You shouldn’t worry about me, I assured you I’d always come home no matter what.”

Before Hyori could ask him again seeing him massage his own temples, Minki and Jeonghan came in carrying large backpacks, signaling that they too came after finishing their assignments. Sungjong smiled at them in return after seeing them wave at his direction.

“You’re right in time darlings! I’ll just get your payments from our dear customers. By the way, listen up everyone!”

Others who are present in the spacious and modernly decorated office turned their heads toward her and listened intently. Hyori is the owner of the building they work for after all. And though they need to disguise their real business into just a simple apartments for rent, when in reality the members are the owner of every room in the building, except for a few spaces to make their front believable, their boss is seriously a kind soul. Her ways may seem unacceptable yet to those who knows her well, they clearly understand that it’s not that she’s just a sadist who loves hurting other people’s feeling. Yes, she does it for the money, but thinking about it, this kind of work helps more rather than break something further.

“I’ll cook for lunch!”

Cheers were not heard, but sounds of disagreements and giggles, and Hyori felt her head boil in annoyance.

“I’ll give you free lunch and you react as if the worst chef on earth, you ungrateful brats!”

“Alright, just don’t poison us noona.”

Taehyun’s comment caused another fit of laughter from his fellow members. And before he receive a smack from the now fuming Hyori, he ran away smirking and saying the same kind of comments one after another.

Sungjong feels at home.

---

The last attendant of the funeral was long gone, yet Sungjong remained, despite of the cold rain slowly soaking him, his thin white polo shirt now hugging his petite figure. His black hair now covers almost half of his face, but he doesn’t mind moving them aside to have a clearer look of the fresh soil from the burial of his parents.

He was not even sure if it was just the rain dripping from his wet hair or tears that are now covering his cheeks in wet streaks.

And it happened just a week after his graduation, and he felt his chest tighten once again remembering the incident that took them away. A burglar came and didn’t left a single cent for him to start again, but he doesn’t care about the valuable things and their savings stolen, he could earn it again, but killing his parents who have saw the culprit doing the crime was unacceptable.

Why does he have to steal their lives as well? He asks his self.

He’s broke. He’s lost. And he’s feeling all alone.

“Hey, you’ll get sick, what are you still doing out here?”

He could hear and see the rain still pouring hard, yet he doesn’t feel it hitting him anymore all of a sudden. And he felt warm hands holding his forehead, checking his temperature then moving his damp hair away from his sight.

That’s when he meet Hyori.

She brought him home, introduced him to the small family, with only Ren, Taemin, Jinwoo, and Himchan that time, and labeled him as their new brother. After knowing each story, as well as that of Hyori, he couldn’t bear to leave anymore. He even accepted the only job her newly-found sister could offer.

It was a secret company, simply named as H, who accepts payment from heartbroken people who want to get back at their lovers, through hurting them emotionally as well. That’s where Sungjong and the others enter the scene, as actors who’ll wound the subjects through earning their trust and love, then leaving them all of a sudden.

To others it might be twisted, but to them, it was a fine job, and knowing the real Hyori and their newfound family, they don’t have the heart to leave the group after all.

Though, the first time Sungjong finished a task, he cried the night after, and Hyori and his brothers comforted him, saying kind words, telling him his not the one at fault. The next assignments felt lighter afterwards.

Their family became bigger afterwards, with each adopting someone like him, those who are left alone and no place to return to. Some have even formed attachment deeper than a simple brotherly treatment. Though they were afraid at admitting at first, Hyori had made them tell every single thing to her, and unlike what everyone expected, Hyori just squealed in happiness and ranted about how cute the couples were. She even gave her blessings and told them to take care of each other no matter what, like a caring mother to his sons.

And Sungjong is more than happy that  he found this family when he was about to give up.

---

“Sunjong-ah, you’re the one assigned to do the grocery today right? Could you please buy ingredients for chicken soup as well? And fever medicines too.”

The said boy just nodded and smiled brightly, seeing Seungcheol worry about Jeonghan who’s currently burning with fever.

“I’m really sorry, I’ll do your tasks here at home next time, it’s just that-”

“it’s fine okay? Don’t be sorry, I know you want to watch over him yourself, and that’s alright. I know that he’ll get well faster if you’re the one taking care of him.”

Hearing this made the other’s face burn, and before he could explain things to how they were the best of friends that’s why he care this way to him, Sungjong was already out of his sight.

--

Walking outside the apartment’s entrance, he caught sight of Hyori talking to a man wearing tattered jeans and black shirt. And just by seeing the stranger’s side profile, he felt his heart stop. No matter how hard he look, he could never be wrong about concluding it is Myungsoo himself.

And he was just a few steps away from his first love, and he couldn’t believe that after all those years of not seeing and hearing anything from him, his heart still beats crazily fast just by simply his presence.

When their eyes met, Sungjong quickly took his bike and rode off. For now, he still couldn’t look at him the same way before. Too much things have already happened, and no matter what, he wanted his life to stay the same, without Myungsoo to complicate his mind and his feelings.

--

Though he wanted to reach home faster to hand the medicine to Seungcheol already, he felt like dragging his feet just to make sure Myungsoo would not be there already once he arrives. Seeing the coast clear, he sighed quite loudly and calmly entered the complex, that, until he met his once best friend on the way, who suddenly attacked him with a bear hug.

“It’s really you Sungjong! I thought my eyes were deceiving me earlier. I seriously missed you Jong-ah.”

How Sungjong wish it was his entire mind’s fault tricking him to see and feel something unreal.

His thought was broken when he heard one of his brothers calling him.

“Sungjong-ah, you know the new boarder?”

It was Jinwoo with his deer-eyes looking at him in curiosity, with Taehyun beside him smirking and knowing the kind of guy he is, he quickly mouthed yes and pulled Myungsoo away towards his own apartment.

Jinwoo’s brows knot in confusion while Taehyun just laughed at his hyung’s naivety.

But his silence doesn’t mean he won’t bother Sungjong later just to get the truth out of him. He’s not Taehyun if he’s not as sly as a cat.

---

“Want some coffee?”

“No, I’m fine, thanks. Um, Sungjong… how are you? Right after graduation and after leaving the city I didn’t hear anything from you.”

“I’m living just fine. There were hard times, yes, but I’ve already cope up.”

“So are you going to the nearby college? How are your parents?”

“No, I’m working already. And my parents… they are long gone. Just a week after graduation they both passed away.”

Myungsoo’s eyes widen hearing those words came from the younger’s mouth, and he mentally slapped his self knowing  that he might have hit something inside Sungjong, that anytime he would cry or snap at him like he usually does when they were in high school.

Yet the present Sungjong just smiled calmly and gently placed a cup of tea and a plate of butter cookies in front of him, that he felt really dumb for being careless about what comes out from his mouth.

“How about you, why are you here?”

“I’m looking for some inspiration, since i graduated from college last year, I’m working as a freelance photographer and by the end of this year I’m planning to open my own gallery. Thanks for the food.”

The atmosphere between them felt awkward, and before Sungjong could ask about him again, he beat him into it.

“I’m sorry, about what happened back in high school… I really didn’t expect to meet you here, and I didn’t plan this but…could you forgive me?”

 “I’ve forgiven you already, a long time ago. How are you and Krystal by the way?”

“We lasted just for a year, but we both realized that were going nowhere, and the attraction faded as fast as it started. How about you? Any person you’re hanging around with?”

“I’m hanging out with my friends, and we’re all pretty close.”

“It’s not what I meant- never mind.”

Sensing his nervousness, Sungjong let his other persona come out, the one who flirts seamlessly, and always confident around other people. It’s not every day he could see the ever cool Myungsoo flustered this way.

 “Why? Have you realized that you’re actually interested in me after all?”

Myungsoo choked from the cookie that he was munching like a rat out of tension, and quickly, Sungjong passed him a glass of water, and by the time he opened his eyes after a fit of cough, he realized how close their faces were.

“Um-ah, Sung-”

“Why are you beet red? Do you feel sick?”

“Ah no! it’s just, it’s just that you’re too close and-”

“We’ve been much closer when we were kids right? What’s the difference now?”

Before he could answer, the door opened revealing a wide smiling Hyori, making them both stand straight, Myungsoo still blushing while Sungjong smiled back as if nothing happened earlier.

Mouthing a quick goodbye, the still tensed up man looked like he was not sure whether to run or just walk fast just to get away immediately, and the other persons in the room giggled at his awkward actions.

After making sure he was out of sight and hearing, Hyori locked the door and handed a brown envelope to the young man.

“Here’s another work for you. And unfortunately, you would not be travelling for this one, since he’s just around this area, since he’s on vacation.”

“Who’s the unlucky guy?”

“Some serious college professor named Kim Donghyuk. Though he looks too young for his kind of work, he’s pretty respected by his students. And he’s teaching a pretty boring subject, history. It really doesn’t suit his face, seriously.”

“Well, with how you describe him, it feels like he’s not the type of guy to be a player.”

“Well, he isn’t a player, but hurt so many ladies by rejecting him harshly, even humiliating some in front of the public gaze. I didn’t expect that kind of attitude from him, and the only wish of the girl who gave us this assignment is to make him the one to confess and be rejected in the softest way possible, to make him feel guilty and all. You know the ways, I’m counting on you.”

Sungjong nodded and started to read information collected about the said professor, and if he must say, this Donghyuk seriously doesn’t fit to be a professor. He looks like a model for a cool fashion brand, or even an idol.

“So what do you think, who’s cuter, him or that guy you’re playing with earlier?”

His slender fingers stopped from scanning the printed facts and he realized that it seemed like he flirted with Myungsoo so casually, no wonder his once best friend looked like a ripe tomato when he spoke near the said guy’s ear.

“Oh no, why did I act that way earlier? Now he might be afraid of me now.”

“Oooh, the pretty Sungjong suddenly became concerned about a man’s view on him. Who really is that guy huh?”

“He’s one reason why I chose to live with you and accept your job offer. Don’t mind me, after all you came here to give me these right?” he said while waving  the sheets in front of the woman’s frowning face.

“You know you could tell me anything, right Sungjong? So free to barge in my house anytime you feel like telling that tale of yours, alright?”

“Sure, but for now, it’s better if I make my mind full of just Donghyuk. Don’t worry about me and that new occupant.”

“Fine, fine. I’ll be taking my leave now. Beep me if you feel like starting, okay?”

“Okay noona.”

Once he’s all alone again, he placed the envelope containing the infos on his bed, then walked straight into the bathroom to try a new hair color. He’ll be facing a quite interesting fine man after all.

Though once he felt the cold water touch his head, all that he could see behind his close eyes is Myungsoo, laughing, crying, teasing, and saying sorry. How could he ever compare someone who manages to make him fall in love more without even trying at all, to any stranger who other may call greater than his first love?

 He now calls himself insane after realizing how deep the attachment he had for Myungsoo, that his feelings never faded at all, and all it needed was a single glance and a single word from the older to make the emotion come out from its hiding place in his heart.

But for now, he needs to finish this task as early as possible if he wants to have enough time to spend with him once again.

 

--

*A crackship, yes, 'cause I think Donghyuk of iKON compliments Sungjong, who agrees? But of course, Myungsoo is still the right one for our lovely maknae.

#myungjong.or.dongjong?