forgetting the target

Lies and Love- Myungjong One-Shot Collection

*Tadaah! Last update for today, but more would be added this week. Let's be good friends, okay? I hope you're enjoying this Christmas, wherever you are.

 

Has it always been this easy for him? To kill someone because he was simply told to do so. Was it hard for him when he needed to kill his own mentor because that person was considered a traitor? Was it hard for him to kill his close friends because they were too weak and fearful to shed blood of others as well?

Why don’t you say it? Stop looking at me with that eyes and kill me already, or I’ll be the one to catch you and stop these killing acts.

Lying beside each other, without saying a word, while holding each other’s hand, they have never felt so tired in their lives. It’s this kind of moment when they could think about what they started, of secrets they could never tell, of promises they could never sincerely say.

 It was all of a sudden. Myungsoo has his part-time job as a flair artist on the bar that Sungjong frequently goes too, and ever since they caught each other’s sight, making out on one of the bathroom’s stalls has been a normal day-to-day occurrence. Tonight was a different one though. They didn’t expect to go all the way without thinking twice and without feeling any regret at all.

And it’s harder when right from the start, they were mere secret enemies, each other’s target, yet being comfortable beside the person who might hit him in the back or strangle him anytime he’s got a chance.

Sungjong in the underground is well-known as a merciless hired killer, the angel of death, that can fulfill any form of torture request as long as the right amount enters his bank account. Myungsoo is a secret agent working for a private group whose mission is to hunt and capture people from the underground society like Sungjong. And it has been a week already ever since he has gotten closer to his target, yet he still can’t bear to catch the young killer. He knows he’s been defying his boss’ orders, but after researching about Sungjong, and knowing him better, he thought about the difference that could have happened if Sungjong wasn’t battered as a kid, if he wasn’t kidnapped and , and if he didn’t saw his bestfriend killed in front of him by his own parents just because they’re insisting about the relationship hindering his goal of following their footsteps as skilled and detached killers.

When all those layers of a killing machine is removed, the one left behind is a lonely kid who was wronged and afraid to fight back the devils in his memories.

How could he bear to hand this boy down?

His thoughts were broke when he felt the warm touch disappear, and he sees Sungjong already dressing up and is now fumbling with the strings of his converse.

“You’re leaving already?”

“I just… I just remembered that I’ve got to meet someone-”

“At almost 5 in the morning?”

“Why are you asking too much? I gotta go, bye.”

His kiss got rejected, and Myungsoo never felt this kind of fear, not even when he needed to catch those men who was more deserving to be punished for being ruthless, he knows he’s being bias since he’s already attached to the young man in front of him, but he believes there is still chance for Sungjong.

Without minding about his ness, he approached the parting figure and held to his wrist tightly before he could reach the knob.

He’s got a bad feeling about Sungjong leaving him, since he knows it’s been a week as well since he has been the killer’s target but he wasn’t even scratched a bit. It was the first time the angel of death failed with his job, he believes there would be a great reaction from the underground community towards this.

“Before you leave, kill me first.”

Seeing the other’s eyes grow wide and his hands tremble, he knows there is something else he’s not telling him, other than what Myungsoo already knows.

“They will kill you if you don’t fulfill your duty right? They have doubted your skills because of this, right?”

“Why the hell are you saying that? What else do you know, huh? Who do you think you are?! Weren’t you supposed to catch me as well? So don’t go on telling me what to do.”

“Then I guess what I’m thinking is right. Don’t go then.”

“I’m a free spirit, and you expect me to follow you?”

“Stop fooling yourself! You have never been free, and you’ve got the chance now. I won’t let you go alone if you insist.”

“Do you really expect me to let you tag along? I’m the least worse of all those killers in our own circle, you would never get out of there alive.”

“And so are you, since you failed to do your duty, and you really expect me to let go of you?”

“Could you just shut up and let me go?! Whatever detour there is in my plans, that’s my own choice, so whatever happens to me out of that stubborness of mine, that’s my own risk. You’re never a part of it.”

He has his back now facing Myungsoo, though when he tried to pull his hand away, it was tugged harder by the other, making him turn around to pour his anger that never came out from his still swollen lips. Myungsoo beat him to it by closing his parted lips through a rough kiss, causing his back to be slightly slammed at the door.

But he never pushed Myungsoo away. Not even when his hair was tugged harder than usual, or when his back felt the warm bed covers. He could never push him away.

If not for the sudden call on the telephone within their hotel room, Sungjong was sure he would be sore all over once the tension dissipate between them. Despite of his still ragged breathing he answered the sudden call, which he found out was a mistake.

“Hey Sungjong-ssi… since you have time to fool around with your prey, should we play a little longer then? I’ll be the it this time, and you’ll be my first target. Don’t forget to watch around carefully. You might never know I’m just around the corner. Let’s have fun, shall we?”

Before he could give his response, the man on the other line already hung up. He was sure whose voice it was, and knowing the guy with the deep voice and playful tone in the community, he’s sure that if he doesn’t start moving to avoid the coming danger, he would be dead within a minute anytime he lost his focus.

“What’s wrong?”

“I need to go. You should-”

“No, we need to go.”

Despite of wanting to say no, to avoid trusting someone with his life, he couldn’t argue anymore nor does he want to leave Myungsoo all alone at the moment with the present situation they’ve stumbled upon. After chnaging into his clothes earlier, Myungsoo accompanied Sungjong to his car, not letting the younger one out of his sight.

The drive towards a villa only Myungsoo knows about was silent, with their free hands linked together and their eyes meeting once in a while.

Is this the right thing to do?

Whatever pushes them right now, is it that strong enough to not let go of each other when they’re struck the hardest?

Could they ever hold hands like this in front of the public after all these?

There is a big chance that whatever they’re holding on right now, it could end up in a tragedy more sad and painful than what they’ve been through, but since the ending has not been written yet, they’ll try to go against the flow of their lives.

Even for just once they’re choosing something for their selves.

“Myungsoo, I-’

“No matter what happens, I’m not giving you to the boss. So don’t try to run away from me. And I wouldn’t leave your side as well.”

They felt their hold tighten together, as if wanting to make sure that the other is present, and that is not just a part of a scary dream he’ll have to face alone.

“I won’t. I’ll stay beside you. No matter what.”

“No matter what.”

 

*I feel so awake, what should I do later after reading HunterXHunter? Hmmm. Anyways, any manga readers out there too? It's nice to be an otaku, but it's hard when I start explaining what happened to my friends who don't read it, you know, like when I rant about how cute this ship is.

*Bye bye for today! Annyeong.

#myungjong.'til.infinity