burnt facade

Lies and Love- Myungjong One-Shot Collection

*Haha, I've celebrated Christmas at the hospital since I'm on graveyard shift, since I'm an intern. And I don't have enough sleep for this week, but I managed to write a fic, out of the time I have. Being a night owl has both its benefit and negative side, but I still love working at night.

*And because I love the black hue, I'm making Sungjong into another hybrid in this one, you'll understand later why. I guess this is my lack of sleep talking. Merry Christmas everyone!

 

What once was lost could never be made again, replaced yes, but it will never be the same feeling, it will never have that same effect on you. What you could do is share it with those persons who are willing to bear the weight with you. Because no matter what strength you have, it’ll crush you deep on the ground when the edges are not supported by anyone.

Just like a ship shook by a single small tip of an iceberg hidden in the ocean.

--

I’m supposed to hold him back. I was there, I was there when they were killed, damn it! Why am I running like a damn coward?!

His feet hurts, and the simple act of running felt like walking on burning broken glasses, but he didn’t dare to stop nor to look back. If he could, he would have flown away to a distant country, far from the eyes of the national guardians. It wasn’t his fault to be born as a hybrid.

Their family didn’t kill any citizen, yet they are treated as criminals without any proofs shown, paying for the wrongdoings of other clans just because they are hybrids as well. No solid explanation is given, no right to speak was given.

No place could be considered as haven to his kind, and the only spot where they built their own community were ransacked by their fellows and the human who fear for their own lives so they kill them to avoid being the prey.

Feeling the pain shoot up again, he stopped and looked back to what was once their home.

And all that his sight could reach was red and orange flames engulfing their cottage and the neighboring houses.

Then he felt like running again, but this time, it was not because of fear. It was simply, trying to leave those happy memories behind or be pulled towards it and die foolishly like the other members of his own clan.

For now, he’ll be sleeping on a treetop, in hopes of waking up and knowing every single life taken and house wrecked were parts of a nightmare he’ll never want to experience again.

And in hopes that if he woke up to see his village deleted from the map, he’ll never be caught alive.

--

“Ouch!”

Feeling something that resembles a strong flick on the forehead, he woke up from his deep slumber and fell from his position because of the shock. Thanks to his feline abilities, he had made it alive as he reached the ground on all fours.

Ears perking up, hair standing up as if there’s electricity passing through it, and pupils constricted too much it makes the whites of his eyes seem to take over.

Usual signs of being on guard and ready to fight back for his life.

And the researcher was simply amused, nervous yes, but not a bit afraid.

He’s one of those people left that believe in the goodness within the hybrids.

“Don’t worry, I won’t hurt you.”

The only answer he got was a loud growl and Sungjong taking a few more steps backward, ready to retreat anytime and hide for his own good. But Myungsoo has never backed out from accomplishing his goals, and right now, what he wants to do is save whatever’s left for the hybrids to survive through the harsh times like this. The clan from where the petite puma hybrid in front of him came from are those kind of special beings that proved to him that they could even be better than humans, not only when it comes to physical strength, but in their family ties and justness as well.

They should proliferate and not be diminished from their country. They are the ones that deserve to live. More than those stronger yet vicious hybrids. More than those selfish and judging men.

“Alright, I know you’re afraid, but the guardians left already. It’s already about, 8 in the morning, so for now you’re safe. But I can’t assure that for the next hours, so trust me. I’ll get you out of here, alive.”

Looking back to the now singed homes, of what was once playground but now just piles of burnt woods and rubber, broken glasses and blood splatters staining the soil, Sungjong felt his knees turn into jelly, and the next thing he knew, he was kneeling on the ground, crying out the silent tears he has kept the night before.

Without thinking twice, Myungsoo approached him and patted his back, not minding if he ended up being scratched or punched right on the face. All he thinks right now is how to comfort the young hybrid in front of him. He has never seen one as vulnerable-looking as Sungjong. And he loves the coal black hair, ears and tail, that compliments the pale skin that is only covered with mere thin wool shirt and black shorts. And he caught a glimpse of the dirty feet covered with cuts and bruises.

Immediately, Myungsoo snatched the knapsack from his back and rummaged for his medicine kit he has always brought in case of emergency, like treating a wounded hybrid.

“Don’t move, okay? I’ll just- woah!”

He felt blood drip from the fresh wound caused by the sharp nails now retracted by its owner. Sungjong, flinched from his own action and quickly leapt to the cut as what he got himself used to inside their secluded community.

All it did was put a blush on Myungsoo’s face and his body trembling with every touch, their proximity making his heart want to leap out from his chest and escape the embarrassment. It doesn’t help when Sungjong looked at him with innocent eyes and naïve expression, just after he his right cheek, a few centimeters away from his gaping mouth.

“I’m sorry. Are you feeling better now?”

“A-ye-I mean- yes, yes I’m fine. It’s just a cut and- you see- come with me?”

Few seconds of silence, and they’re now both on indian sitting position, Myungsoo just following Sungjong’s action, and not saying a word. Until Myungsoo broke it by sighing out loud.

“I’m sure you can’t trust me that much right now, since, since that happened to your village, to your family and friends you’ve grown up with, but, if you get caught as well, their deaths would mean nothing. You need to live, for the sake of their memories. I’ll wait here, do whatever you want, and come back here when you’ve already made a decision. But if those men come earlier than I expect their timetables to be, I’ll drag you away from here, whether you like it, or you don’t.”

No response, just a few more blinks that Myungsoo deemed as adorable. If he could just adopt the hybrid in front of him. Unluckily, the law in their country forbids of that connection between humans and hybrids.

“Oh by the way, I’m Kim Myungsoo. I’m a researcher, and I was on my project of knowing the ways of living by hybrids like you, your culture, traditions, rituals, and the like. My original targets were human tribes, those who made their communities far from the urban areas. You’re clan is the first on my list for the hybrids. But you see, I could never start my project with what happened.”

“I see. And you just happened to pass by here then you saw me. And you suddenly decided to help me. For what cost? For the development of your research?”

“No. I’m doing this because I want to. I was once saved by a hybrid from humans like me, and I believe that person was from your clan. I’ve wanted to meet him again ever since. But I think it’s impossible now. But, I could still give my sincere thanks to him through saving you. You represent each and every one who have lost their lives on this nonsense hunt. You should live.”

“They deserve to live as well, you see, but they’re nothing but burnt remains now. Many of them deserve better than me, but I’m the one you’re talking to right now, just because I’m the lucky one to not be killed earlier than I expect it to be. You shouldn’t talk to me. I don’t represent any of them. I’m simply, myself.”

He could see the tears starting to well up from the coal black eyes once again, and he admire the young hybrid for fighting it back and trying to look tough despite of the tragedy he has seen and went through. He understand that right now, Sungjong is emotionally battered, and any decision he would make out of his accord could bring him harm. He could see his self, back when he was a kid, lost and alone, used by foolish men for their own good, forcing him to work from dawn ‘til dusk until he couldn’t feel his feet anymore.

That was when the hybrid came and beat the hell out of those men, letting him and the other captives go and choose their own path in life. But him, Myungsoo, stayed. He followed the stranger wearing black jacket with hood covering his head, until the border of the city and the jungle, that’s when he saw who the man really is.

That was also the time he admired a hybrid, and he thought of how wrong the society depicts them as savage beasts or wild and untamed creatures.

He was forced then to remain beyond the border of the man’s village, with the savior sending him back to the city himself. By then, Myungsoo promised himself that no matter what, at any cost, he’ll protect the good hybrids.

“You deserve to live. All of you deserve to live. It was the humans’ mistake of not seeing that. But strong as you are, kind as they are, strong-willed as I am, we couldn’t break their opinions on you that easily. But don’t be deterred because of that. I know I won’t be enough replacement, but for now, let me be your companion.”

He sees no pretention, nor lies coming from the researcher’s lips, but Sungjong is still wary of his presence. He doubts that he could get used to any human being around him. he doubts that he could get over the memories of last night. He doubts that he could survive for long.

“That’s kind of you to say  that, but the best thing you could do right now is to go back to your own city, and leave me in peace. I’m all good to be on my own. So- they’re back.”

Hearing the familiar sound of car engine, Sungjong’s body tensed up, his senses sharpened yet his body doesn’t permit any motion at all. Seeing all of this, Myungsoo is sure that the young hybrid couldn’t do it on his own for now, and he’s determined to not let them be caught.

Pulling Sungjong out of his trance, he quickly pierced him with a sedative, making the hybrid fall into his arms like a piece of paper gently carried by the wind, but once he placed him on his back to bring him towards his van, it was completely a different story.

“Ugh! Your look deceived me, what do you eat to make you this heavy?”

Silently praying and traversing the jungle is harder with a load on his back, but he exhaled loudly after reaching his van, and he felt safer for not being shot in the way.

Passing the border, he looked back once again to the sleeping figure on the back before covering him with a black cloth and heaps of notes and maps. He would make sure that once the hybrid wakes up, they are already miles away from those who are trying to kill him.

It’ll be a long journey before he could accomplish his goal, that’s for sure. But for now, his top priority is for the hybrid to be safe and get comfortable around him, and trust him like a brother who’ll never let him down.

“Right, I’ll ask for his name once he wakes up. ”

 

*Riiiight. I need to sleep more. Later, hehe.

*Aren't Sungjong adorable as a hybrid? I'm thinking, I guess I'm not the only one who noticed that moments and skinship between the two are lesser these days, but I think, aren't they just playing it safe? I still believe they got a deeper connection than what we think they have. No matter what, they're still the best for each other, that's what I believe. What about you guys?

#myungjong.is.love