Losing You Brings Only Pain

Losing You Brings Only Pain

Chapter 1

 

Mr & Mrs. Kim sat in the adoption room. They were nervous & happy at the same time. Today, they will be adding a new member to their family. After so many attempt of failing to conceive a child of their own, they decided to adopt one.

 

Tears swelled in Mrs. Kim’s eyes as the nurse place the baby in her arms. She was such a beautiful child. She was tanned & chubby with lovely big brown, almond-shaped eyes. Her lips were plump & her nose sharp with a pointed tip, ‘She would turn out to be a gorgeous lady when she grows up.’ Mrs. Kim thought to herself, “Welcome to our family Yuri.” Mrs. Kim said, as she placed a soft kiss on the child’s forehead.

 

Five months after Mr. & Mrs. Kim had adopted Yuri into their family, Mrs. Kim fell pregnant. It was a surprises as they had thought that they could never have a child of their own, even the doctor was surprises but this news only brought more happiness. Nine months later, she gave birth to another beautiful daughter whom she named Taeyeon.

 

Eight year old Taeyeon screamed as she rolled off the bed, using her hand to fight off the attacker. She was still half asleep & had to adjust her sight as the room was still dark & she couldn’t see who had attacked her, “What the hell?! Stop that!” Taeyeon shouted, as something soft hit her across the head. It was when she heard the soft giggle that she realize who was hitting her. By this time her big brown eyes had adjust & she could make out the faint figure of her sister, Yuri, standing on the opposite side of her bed, holding a pillow. Taeyeon quickly grab her pillow & jump on her bed & started to whack Yuri with her pillow, “Take that you sneaky brat! How dare you wake me up from my pleasant dream?!” Taeyeon cried to Yuri, as they both started to attack each other with the pillow. Taeyeon was having so much fun that she didn’t see the look of agony that appear on Yuri’s oval-shaped face.

 

Yuri felt a sharp pain in her chest & collapsed onto the floor, clutching her chest. She felt dizzy & couldn’t breath properly, then everything around her went black. Taeyeon watched as Yuri collapsed onto the floor. She saw Yuri’s face turning from red to chalk white & knew that something was wrong. Taeyeon ran to Yuri & called out to her but she didn’t reply as tears started to form in Taeyeon’s eyes, “Yuri! Oh, my god! Yuri, what’s wrong?! Are you alright?! Yuri?!” Taeyeon cried, & ran out of the room to call their parents.

 

“What’s wrong with Yuri, mom?” Taeyeon asked her mother. She still had tears in her eye & hadn’t stopped crying since they left home to follow the ambulance to the hospital. Mrs. Kim cuddled her & her shoulder-length, brown hair, “I'm not sure yet, dear, but the doctor is with her now so she’s going to be alright, pumpkin.” Mrs. Kim said, fighting to keep her tears from falling as she didn’t want to scared Taeyeon but she was scared herself. The doctor had taken Yuri into the emergency room & hadn’t come out since. She turned to look at her husband who was walking up & down in front of the emergency room.

 

She could see the worried look on his face. She called to him & he came over to sit next to her. The three of them sat close & silently prayed for their little Yuri, ‘Please protect my little girl?’ Mr. Kim pleaded in his prayer. The emergency light was still on, bright red. How long had they sat there since they arrived at the hospital? Time seem like a cruel torture as it tormented them. Mr. Kim wanted to scream as he wanted to know how his little girl was but no one had told him anything. He was worried & never had he been this worried. As soon as the light went off, Mr. Kim shot up up from his chair & rushed over to the emergency door. As they wheeled Yuri out, Mr. Kim’s blood drain from his face. She was so pale against the white sheet of the hospital bed. The white linen made her look as though she was lifeless. Her rosy cheeks that had always been one of her lovely feature was nowhere in sight. Mr. Kim reached out & softly touched his daughter’s cheek as tears rolled down his cheeks, “What’s wrong with our daughter?” He asked the doctor, without taking his eyes off of her. The doctor looked at both parents & signal for them to follow him. They followed the doctor & nurse in silent. Yuri was brought into a private room & was gently lifted onto the bed. The doctor then asked the parents to follow him to his office. He also indicated for them to put Taeyeon behind. Mrs. Kim kissed Taeyeon & told her to sit & watch over Yuri while they went to talked to the doctor.

 

Mr. Kim couldn’t take the silent any longer as he wanted to know what was wrong with his daughter. As soon as the doctor had closed his office door, Mr. Kim cried out, “She’s alright, isn’t she?! Please tell me she’s going to be alright?!” The doctor took in a deep breath & looked at both parents. They had been good friends & he didn’t know how to tell them the bad news. Mrs. Kim reach out & held her husband’s hands, “Please Kyunggu, just tell us what’s wrong? We need to know.”

 

Doctor Shim got up from behind his desk & walked over to the parents. He sat on the edge of his desk & reached over to place a hand on Mr. Kim’s shoulder, “Hakkun, your daughter has a heart problem. Its weak & she will need a heart transplant but without a heart transplant, she will only be able to live for...we estimated from three to five more years, maybe longer, we aren’t sure yet, since its hard to tell.” He saw the shocked look on both parents’ faces. Mrs. Kim bursted into tears, “Oh god, Yuri. No, this isn’t happening. Why our Yuri? Everything was good. She never got sick so why this?” Mrs. Kim cried into her husband’s chest.

 

“Kyunggu, when can we have the operation?” Mr. Kim asked frantically, looking at the doctor. He was on the point of breaking but he had to hold on as he didn’t want to break down in tears in front of his wife. She was suffering & she needed him to be strong. Doctor Shim looked at Mr. Kim & sigh, “That’s the problem, Hakkun. She needs a heart but there aren’t many around & it has to be compatible with her body. I have checked the records & found out that there’s none that is available & there is such a long list of patient waiting for these operation, too. Look, right now, she will be alright. As long as she doesn’t overwork herself too hard because if she uses too much of her energy, it will increases her heartbeat & her heart is too weak to support that extra amount of energy so make sure she gets a lot of rest & she will need to go on medication. That’s all we can do right now until a suitable heart comes along.”

 


“Oh, god! Kyunggu, how long is the wait?! What if its too long?! Isnt there anything you could do right now to help her?! Have you tried other hospital?! Please save my daughter?!” Yelled Mr. Kim, through his tears as he lost control of keeping his emotion in check,, “Hakkun, you know I would do everything in my power to help you. I know that your in pain but the only opinion is to wait. Who knows? Something will turn up. Right now, she needs to be on medication. Her heart is weak & won’t stand the operation now, even if there was a heart. The only thing that we can do for her now is to make sure she gets a lot of rest & try to build her strength for the operation later on. Hakkun, I’m sorry but I can’t do anything else.” Doctor Shim said, as he squeezed his friend’s shoulder.


“Yuri, don’t run! You know you shouldn’t be running! Slow down, will you?!” Taeyeon yelled, after Yuri who was running down the staircase. Yuri turned around & stuck her tongue out at Taeyeon, “Aigoo, Taeyeon, its not like I’m going to drop dead right here. Its been ages since my last attack & besides, uncle Shim said I’m doing fine so stop acting like mom & dad & let me have a little fun, will you?” Said Yuri, as she continue to run down the stairs.

 

Yuri knew that she had been a burden to her family. She had eight attack since she was young but when she turned thirteen, they had stop & her health had improved. Even doctor Shim was amazed that she had survive until now. Yuri prayed that it stayed that way. She was sick & tired of taking her medication but her parents always made sure she took them, even if she was out shopping or out somewhere her parents would ring & asked her if she had taken her medication.

 

Her handbag was full of medication. Whenever she left the house, her mother would check her handbag to make sure that all her medication was there. It was annoying but if it eased her parents concern then she didn’t mind. Taeyeon was the same. Sometimes, when Yuri didn’t answer her phone call, she would drop everything & go out looking for her. It was funny but she felt bad afterwards because Taeyeon would turn up with tears in her eyes.


“Where are you girls off to?” Mr. Kiim asked both girls, as they enter the kitchen. Both girls gave their parents a kiss on the cheeks, “We are just going to go shopping dad. Want to join us?” Yuri asked her father, as she grab a peanut butter pumpkin muffin & hungrily ate it, “Don’t eat too fast Yuri, how many times must I tell you that?” Mrs. Kim said, as she poured both girls a glass of milk, “Honey, you know her, she eats like a pig. We better start on ours before she eats all of it.” Mr. Kim said, laughing. Yuri ran over & hug her dad, “I’m not a pig, Taeyeon is! She eats more than me!” Yuri protested, & squeezed her father.

 

“So, dad, you want to come with us?” Taeyeon asked, “Yeah, you can carry our shopping bags.” Yuri said, & everyone started to laugh, “Well, if you put it that way, I rather stay home & relax with my lovely wife. Don’t come home so early, girls. Me & your mom got some things to discuss.” Mr. Kim said, as he winked at his wife. Both girls looked at their parents, “Oh, please!” Both girls wailed, & pretended to vomit. The house was full of laughter that morning.

 

“I will drive!” Yuri shouted, “Oh no, you don’t!” Screamed Taeyeon. Both girls looked at each other & started running towards the key that was hanging on the key hook. Both girls reach the key at the same time & were pushing each other, trying to get the keys. Mr. & Mrs. Kim looked at them & smiled. They were always like that, although they both were twenty years of age they still act like kids.


“Okay, okay, let’s do it this way. I will drive to the shopping centre & you drive back. What do you say, Taeyeon?” Yuri looked at Taeyeon who had her arms wrapped around Yuri, “Hmmm, let me see.” Taeyeon giggled, “Hurry up & make up your mind. We don’t have all day Taeyeon.” Yuri said, making an angry face, “Hmmm. Well...let’s see.” Taeyeon said slowly, “Okay okay, you drive, geez.” Yuri said, as she wiggle her way out from Taeyeon’s arms. Taeyeon laughed & let go of Yuri but as soon as she did, Yuri reach out & pulled the key off the hook, “Change of plan, kiddo. I will drive.” She said, as she ran outside, only to hear her parents & Taeyeon screaming, “Don’t run Yuri! You shouldn’t be running!” Yuri laugh to herself & slowed down.