When Jaebum Met Jackson

I Got Yours, Mine, and Ours

It was the one week anniversary of Jinyoung, Mark, and Youngjae moving in and Jinyoung on his way back from work had picked up a cake. Everyone stood around the kitchen island eating the cake straight out of the box without bothering with plates. The idea was obviously from the Im side of the family and Jinyoung, Mark, and Youngjae had no choice but to go along with the idea.

 

“I can't believe it's been a week already. It's feel like we've been living together longer.” Yugyeom said.

 

“It does. It's been a week and we know so much about each other. We became a family very fast.” Jaebum said pleased.

 

“I like living in this house. I don't think I'm ever going to move out.” BamBam said.

 

Jaebum and Jinyoung's faces entered a state of horror. “You don't want to be like your Jackson-hyung do you BamBam?” Jaebum asked. He couldn't have another Jackson. He couldn't.

 

“I moved out once!” Jackson said. “I might be moving out again. Things are getting serious between me and Candy.”

 

“Who's Candy?” Jinyoung asked. It sounded like a pet name but not even Jackson would think 'satang' would be a nice nickname.

 

“My girlfriend. She's a noona obviously and she's just The One. She's my other half.” Jackson was getting unbearably cheesy.

 

“Have you met her?” Jaebum asked Yugyeom and BamBam.

 

Yugyeom shook his head. “We just found about her recently too. We don't even know her real name or what she looks like. She's a celebrity.”

 

“And she's only 10 years older than me. Only 10! I never dated someone that was less than 15 years older than me before!” Jackson said.


“Is she an actress? Was she in one of Caramel Macchiato's dramas? Or movies?” Jinyoung asked. He had seen all of them and there were quite a few attractive older actresses although he couldn't remember if any o f them were single.

 

“She's done acting before but never in one of Dad's productions. You'll meet her soon, I promise. I'm glad that Dad's famous because it has prepared me for the life of dating a celebrity.”

 

“I can't believe you might be moving out for good. It feels like yesterday was the day I adopted you.” Jaebum sounded emotional as he spoke.

 

“Dad, don't bring up my adoption story. Please don't.” Jackson pleaded, the please don't in English.

 

“What's your adoption story?” Youngjae asked.

 

Jaebum let out a sigh. “Ah, the story of how I adopted Jackson is a wonderful story. If I made a movie or drama based on the story then it would win best melodrama or tear-jerker. It's an amazing story especially since when I adopted Jackson, I wasn't thinking about adopting any kids.”

 

“It's a really cheesy story and Dad always makes stuff up to add to it. Ask BamBam or Yugyeom. It's boring right?” Jackson turned to them and begged for an agreement.

 

“It made me sad that my adoption story couldn't be the plot line to an award-winning film.” BamBam said solemnly.

 

“I cried for three hours straight.” Yugyeom said equally solemn.

 

“Caramel Macchiato, you wouldn't mind telling the story would you? So me, Mark and Youngjae can hear?” Jinyoung's voice was dripping with aegyo.

 

Jaebum grinned and entwined his hand with Jinyoung's. “Of course, the story of how I adopted Jackson begins when I was filming a movie in Hong Kong...”

 

The movie was Definition of Love and the main character's love interest was from Hong Kong. A lot of scenes had to be filmed in Hong Kong and so we went off. The love interest's sister volunteered at an orphanage and so there a few scenes shot at the orphanage.

 

All of the children at the orphanage stirred something in me. At that time I had no idea that I wanted to have a child. I knew I wanted one at some point but never at that moment. Then I got to the orphanage and realized I lived in a two bedroom apartment for no reason other than that I could afford it, had way too much time on my hands and money to spend while these kids had nothing. I felt guilty about that. I decided that after the filming was over I was going to make a donation to the orphanage

 

Whenever we were filming scenes, we let the children do whatever, obviously to make it more realistic it was nice the children in the background doing their own things and some of the children sat behind me in my director's chair watching the filming happen.

 

Jackson was one of them that wanted to do both. He would be sitting behind me standing on his tip-toes or jumping to get a better view and then all of a sudden he would dash out into the scene and start playing with the toys all the while making sure the camera got a good view of him.

 

Actually on the very first day of filming at the orphanage, Jackson came running down the steps to watch us bring everything in. Every time someone would set something down, Jackson would go over and start messing around with it. 2 and a half years old and already so smart. He used to be so smart back then.

 

Jackson, whose head seemed to be lowering itself to the table with every second that passed, immediately shot his head right back up. “What do you mean I used to be so smart back then? I'm still smart.”

 

“Of course you are, hyung.” Yugyeom said with a bratty smile on his face.

 

I couldn't help but feel a connection with Jackson. He was so loud and sometimes the workers would yell at him but at the same time he was so caring. He wasn't the oldest child in the orphanage obviously but he acted like he was. He would always try and help take care of the infants and the younger toddlers and he was so heart-warming.


I'll never forget it. I was standing on the balcony of my hotel, looking at one of the greatest views of Hong Kong when I realized that I wanted to adopt Jackson. I still wanted to make a donation to the orphanage but I couldn't imagine leaving Jackson behind. Not knowing if he was still the loudest one in the orphanage, not knowing if he got adopted or if he had the chance to go out and really live life. I arrived at the orphanage early the next day and tried to see what I would need to do in order to adopt Jackson. They told me that single men couldn't adopt and that even if they could I would need to be at least 25.

 

I felt so discouraged but I talked to our Hong Kong guide and asked if there was anything I could do in order to adopt Jackson. She said that since I was a celebrity I had a bit more leeway and could get away with it if I kept pressing the issue. So I did. I was finally able to adopt Jackson. I'll never that day.

We were shooting our last scene in Hong Kong that also happened to be one of the ending scenes of the movie. The main character is walking past the orphanage and her love interest comes running out of the orphanage to get to her. We filmed the scene in one shot, it was perfect.

 

I said it was wrap and all the children came out to use the yard and whatever. Jackson was being carried by one of the workers in the yard and the first thing I did was walk over and have the worker place Jackson in my arms and he looked so confused until I said that he was going to live with me and that I was his dad now.

 

Jaebum finished the story and everyone in the kitchen with exception of Jackson and Jaebum himself was crying.

 

“You know I'm still thankful that you adopted me.” Jackson said, quiet so only Jaebum could hear. Not that anyone else was paying attention, they were all passing around a tissue box Jinyoung had procured. Even BamBam and Yugyeom who already heard the story were crying as if it was the first time.

“Why are you thankful? You're my son. You always were and always will be, even before we knew each other existed, I was your dad and you were my son.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GUESS WHO MADE HERSELF TEAR UP WHILE WRITING THIS? 

Also thank you so much for getting past 50 subscribers! Thank you for all your love, subscriptions, comments, and upvotes!

<3 Smooches <3