This is why you never lose sight of Yugyeom

I Got Yours, Mine, and Ours

The house that Jaebum and Jinyoung bought was large, six rooms with a backyard and two floors. Youngjae, BamBam, and Yugyeom would all still attend their same high schools and Jinyoung would still be able to teach at the same university. Nothing about their life would change other than their house and the people whom they'd share the house with.

 

Jinyoung and Jaebum had finally finished handing the kids the last of their things from home and were getting ready to sit on their new couch and relax when Mark sped by on his skateboard.

 

“Mark! Don't skateboard in the new house!” Jinyoung called after him “You almost ran over Jackson.”

 

Jackson who had in his cellphone in hand, walked into the living room. “See, this is why the entrance to the kitchen shouldn't be directly in front of the front door. The kitchen has so far has the best reception in the house. I need to be in the kitchen to be connected with my ladies.”

 

“More like your grandmas.” BamBam said as he came down the stairs. “Do we have food?”

 

“No.” Jaebum replied. He reached into his jean pocket and pulled out his wallet. BamBam walked over and Jaebum handed him his credit card. “Why don't you and your siblings, your new ones and your old ones, go to the supermarket and do grocery shopping.”

 

“That's a great idea.” Jinyoung said. “Mark, come back here.” he yelled out to the side, hoping Mark was inside the house. He yelled to the stairs. “Youngjae, come downstairs.” Youngjae and Mark both appeared instantaneously in front of their father.


“Mark, take my keys and use the mini-van to take everyone grocery shopping.” Jinyoung said handing Mark his keys.


“The mini-van outside was yours?” BamBam said. “I thought it was an extra vehicle that the moving company had brought.”

 

“Dad, are you really going to let your husband drive around Seoul with a mini-van?” Jackson asked.

 

“He wouldn't let me buy him a new car.” Jaebum said.

 

“A mini-van is a very practical car for a family as large as ours, Jackson.” Jinyoung said.

 

“Whatever.” Jackson said. “Everyone knows you two want us out of the house so you can have .”

 

“Jackson! You can't say things like that even if they are right.” Jaebum said.

 

“Jaebum!” Jinyoung looked at him. “You haven't changed since high school.”


“Yugyeom!” BamBam called out. “We're going to the supermarket.”

 

After the kids were out of the house, Jaebum got ready to apologize to Jinyoung when he felt himself being thrown to the ground and kissed.

 

“Maybe we should move things to the bedroom?” Jaebum suggested.

 

Jinyoung stared at him. “Isn't that suppose to be my line?” Jinyoung's hands had found their way to the hem of Jaebum's shirt.


“Staying here is good too.” Jaebum said.

 

In the mini-van, Mark found himself in the driver's seat with Jackson riding shotgun. BamBam, Youngjae, and Yugyeom sat in the first row. Mark started the engine.


“Why did your Dad even buy a mini-van when there's only three of you in your family? This car can fit six people in the two backseats and then you have the driver's seat and shotgun. Why have a car for eight people?”

 

“Always be prepared.” Mark shrugged. He started to drive out of the driveway. “Jackson, how good are you at reading Korean?”

 

“What?” Jackson asked. There was no way Mark was asking because he couldn't read Korean right?

 

“Mark-hyung isn't that good at reading Korean. At least when it comes to road signs and all. Either me or Dad usually helps him out when he's driving.” Youngjae explained.


“How did you pass the exam then?” Jackson asked.

 

“Our dad is really good at doing aegyo. Like really, really good.” Mark said.

 

Yugyeom laughed at this. The image of Jinyoung, who was nothing less than a serious academic psychologist from what Yugyeom had saw, doing aegyo was too god to be true.

 

“Be prepared. When Yugyeom starts laughing it lasts for a while. Until we reach the supermarket he's probably going to be laughing.” Jackson said.

 

Mark and Youngjae couldn't help but laugh a bit as well. Yugyeom had a nice laugh, it was infectious and he was so happy to be happy.

 

“How do we know what to buy?” BamBam asked.

 

“Dad- well Mom.” Youngjae corrected himself, saying the word in English, “always has the same grocery list. Me and Mark-hyung both have it on our phones and when he says to go grocery shopping it's because we need everything on that list.”


Yugyeom momentarily stopped laughing and he, Jackson, and BamBam sat in silence, their eyes darting between Youngjae and Mark.


“Wow,” Jackson finally said breaking the silence. “At the most our Dad usually yells out what he needs as we're leaving and we just go and buy our own things. When we were younger he was the one that did all the shopping.”

 

“Mom believes in learning how to be self-efficient while maintaing a family balance.” Youngjae sounded as if he were reciting off a list.

 

“Mom doesn't get out much.” Mark said.

 

The supermarket was another change that came from switching houses. Thankfully, all supermarkets were the same and Mark and Jackson each grabbed a cart. “How are we going to divide the shopping?”

 

“What about Youngjae-hyung and BamBam-hyung together and then Mark-hyung and Jackson-hyung together. I can go by myself.” Yugyeom said.

“Are you going to be alright as the youngest?” Mark asked. Dad, well, Mom had taught him to always look out for Youngjae. And Youngjae should look out for Mark in case his Korean failed him.

 

Yugyeom nodded. “Dad texted me anyways. He wants to try out a new toothpaste, see if the kimchi that this supermarket sells is as good was the kimchi from our old one, and a six-pack of beer.”

 

“How are you going to buy the beer?” Mark asked.

 

“Yugyeom is 200 centimeters tall. If you take away his bangs and the chubbiness of his cheeks, he could easily pass for someone much older.” BamBam said.

 

“That's why I'm the cutest.” Yugyeom said before speeding off with a cart to another part of the supermarket.


“You take that back!” BamBam shouted out after him, attracting the attention of everyone in the supermarket. “I'm your hyung and I'm the cutest in the family!”

 

“This is what I don't get. You say things like I'm the cutest and my face is already an aegyo but then you make noonas call you oppa. It's terrible.” Jackson said. It was the first time Mark and Youngjae had seen him look serious.

 

“Didn't Yugyeom ask a noona to call him oppa too? Why is it different for him?” BamBam said, his bottom lip starting to pout out.

 

“Because with Yugyeom if she says 'oh no, please call me noona' he will. He said that oppa thing for show. You on the other hand will force a 30 year old woman to call you oppa.” Jackson explained.

 

“Ew, why would she be 30? Who do I look like? You?” BamBam said before grabbing a cart and Youngjae following after him.

 

“Your family is very fun.” Mark said for lack of better things to say. That and Jinyoung raised Mark and Youngjae to always be very, very polite.

 

“This list seems really short. Then again, you only did have to do shopping for three people.” BamBam said as Youngjae opened up the list.

 

“It's not this short actually. Mom divides it between me and Mark if both of us are shopping, so when we meet up at the cash register we just have to combine our things and not have to deal with putting things back.” Youngjae explained.

 

BamBam stared at him. “Wow. Your Dad really didn't get out much. What was it like having that in your life? Someone responsible to take care of you?”

 

Mark and Jackson were in the milk aisle trying to sort the mixture of Park family groceries with Im family groceries. Jackson had put two gallons of strawberry, banana, and chocolate milk in the cart. Mark wasn't even aware that they sold their flavours in gallons.

 

“Shouldn't we be getting regular milk? Or soy milk? Almond milk? Almond milk is very good for you.” Mark said. They were speaking in English. Mark discovered that was the quickest and best way for him and Jackson to communicate.

 

Jackson shook his head. “Nah, We never had regular milk at our house. It was all about the flavor.”

 

“Add in another gallon of strawberry. I like it.” Mark said, picking up a half-gallon of the low-fat milk Mom had on the list and adding it to the cart while Jackson grabbed another gallon of strawberry.

 

“You know hyung; when I saw you in school I didn't think you were like this. I mean, I knew all the girls that didn't have crushes on me had crushes on you and that you played basketball but I always thought you were this kind of nerd. I mean you actually studied in the library after school instead of trying to hit on the librarian.”

 

“I wasn't the best student. I tried really hard because Mom wanted me to. He always helped me study after I got home from school even in high school and when I went to the library myself. But I wasn't a natural genius and I didn't like studying. It made me sleepy.” Mark chose not to comment on the fact that their old librarian was a 65 year old Slovakian woman that never looked happy or impressed or in the mood to be dealing with a bunch of misplaced foreign teenagers that went to the library to cut class.

 

“Did Mom yell at you?”

 

“Not really. Whenever I got something wrong on a test, he would explain to me my mistake and tell me to do better next time. What about Dad?”

 

“Oh he's fine with whatever. He gave up on expecting things academically from us a long time ago. Thank God that Yugyeom actually does half-way decent in school so he doesn't have to completely lie when they ask him on shows how his kids grades are.”

 

BamBam and Youngjae were in the cereal aisle trying to decide on how many boxes they should get. They already had gotten two boxes of variety instant oatmeal but were stuck on the cold cereal.

 

“Mom doesn't care much for what type of cereal it is. As long as it's brain food and one of the approved ones on the list.” Youngjae said, saying 'brain food' in English.

 

“Does that actually make you smarter?” BamBam asked.

 

Youngjae shrugged. “I guess. Mom wrote a paper on it. Our brains do process the things we put in our body, sometimes immediately and sometimes it takes a while. Did you know nutmeg has two of the chemicals that's found in ecstasy?”

 

“Can you get high off of nutmeg?”

 

“If you eat the jar of it then yes. That's why Mom almost never used it when we were younger. She wanted us to make sure we had the proper food for our brain to grow as we got older.”

 

“Dad would buy three boxes of whatever cereal had the best toy in it so we wouldn't complain about it. And if there was a sugary cereal that we really liked he would let whoever the baby-sitter was at that moment give it to us for dinner if we wanted.” BamBam said.

 

“That's sounds nice.”Youngjae never had an experience like that. It wasn't until he was 12 that he could stop hiding junk food.

 

“It is. Don't worry you got a cool Dad now. Except he's really not that cool and will probably embarrass you to the ends of the Earth and then go on TV and say that he has a chic image.”

 

BamBam, Youngjae, Jackson, and Mark met up at the cash register and confirmed that none had bought the same thing. They paid and were walking out of the supermarket when they realized Yugyeom was gone.

 

“No, no, no, no.” Jackson began to panic as soon as they realized. He removed his snap back and ran his fingers through his hair. “I knew it. I knew it would happen. Yugyeom was going to get so sick and tired of us that he was going to leave and go join a normal family like he should have been a part of.”

 

“Calm down hyung. I'm sure Yugyeom didn't leave. He doesn't seem like the type that would leave without saying goodbye.” Youngjae said in a futile attempt to get Jackson to calm down.

 

It worked. For about a minute before Jackson was back to panicking. “What if he didn't leave? What if he was kidnapped then? If Yugyeom gets kidnapped we're going to have a international incident on our hands. There goes Dad's career as an actor and director, it's going to be the biggest scandal in Yugyeom's mom's royal career. They're going to demand an extreme amount of money and Yugyeom's mom's country is going to go into debt with Germany or something. What if he didn't get kidnapped? What if he went to go live with his mom? Yugyeom and his mom get along you know. They don't have an awkward relationship at all. He probably left and is getting crowned prince as we speak and being set up in an arranged marriage with some British heiress and Yugyeom doesn't even know how to speak another language other than Korean.” Jackson was getting near close to fainting.

 

“Calm down.” Mark said taking Jackson by the hand and leading him to the car. “We go home and we talk to Mom and Dad. If Yugyeom did leave to go live with his mom as a prince in Europe then he and his mom would have told Jaebum. We should be glad that Yugyeom has such a good relationship with his mom.”

 

“It's not Jaebum, it's Dad. We're family.” was the only thing Jackson said as Mark placed him into the passenger seat of the car.

 

“I was wondering when you guys would get here.” A voice said from the last backseat of the car.


Everyone in the car jumped, and Jackson and BamBam let out shrill shrieks as they saw Yugyeom casually sitting in the last backseat of the car, smiling his chubby innocent smile. “Where have you been?” Jackson demanded, his voice still high.

 

“I finished up early since I only bought those three things and then I went to the convenience store across the street and ate some ramen and bought a Coke. Then I came back here and sat in the very back because it has more room for me and so I laid down and went on my phone. The hyungs aren't mad at me are they? Because I'm really sorry if I caused you trouble.” Yugyeom was pouting and looked so very sorry that everyone in the car immediately forgave him.

 

As Jackson was opening the door he gave out a warning. “Youngjae, BamBam, and Yugyeom cover your eyes. Especially you, Yugyeom. We already had one scare with you today. We don't know what our parents are doing and trust me, we don't want to know.”

 

The door opened and Jackson didn't know what he was expecting but the sounds of a video game and “how are you so good at this?” was not what he was going for. They followed the noise up the stairs and to the right in the room right next to Jaebum and Jinyoung's master suite. It was intended as a study but as Jackson opened the door they realized that their fathers were using it as a video game room.

 

“You already set up all your video games?” Youngjae said in disbelief.

 

“I thought getting married was going to cut you back. Now you're just teaching Dad!” Mark said.

 

Jaebum grinned, pleased with himself at how Mark was naturally calling him Dad. Jinyoung had the world's cutest pout on his lips as he answered Mark and Youngjae. “You know that video games help me calm down. I'm busy with work and with you guys. Video game is my 'me' time and now that I'm married it's 'we' time.”

 

“I thought once you're married you have as 'we' time?” BamBam asked with genuine curiosity. Youngjae was about to puke.

 

“The décor of the room is nice.” Yugyeom said.

 

“Thank you.” Jinyoung replied. He had used all of the decorations from his video game room in his old house. Posters of video game releases, Spiderman toys, and various Avengers merchandise graced the room.

 

Jaebum addressed Mark and Youngjae. “Your dad is amazing at video games. He's gotten even better than when he was a teenager.”

 

“That's why neither of us play video games.” Youngjae said. “Mark likes to play basketball and I play the piano. Video games is Dad's way of relaxing.”


“Speaking of relaxing, we almost thought Yugyeom had finally gotten sick of us and left. And then we thought he got kidnapped and then we thought that his mom came and got him.” Jackson said.

 

“Yugyeom, you're not getting sick of being the normal one right?” Jaebum asked nervously. “And you don't want to live with your mom in her castle right?”

 

Yugyeom had turned bright red. “No! I don't want to live with my mom and I'm happy with our family. Even happier now that it's bigger.”

 

“Aww, hug-time!” Jackson said as everyone crowded around Yugyeom to hug him.