Marriage Plans

I Got Yours, Mine, and Ours

Jaebum was in his director's chair putting away his cameras when one of the actresses called out to him as she was leaving. “Congratulations on your son getting married!”

 

Jaebum wondered if it was really him she was talking to. She said it looking right at him and he was the only other person around. But none of his sons had gotten married. Jackson and Shinyoung hadn't told the media of their engagement. At least, Jaebum didn't think so. And she had said “getting married” and not “getting engaged”. Did Yugyeom's mom arrange a marriage for him? But didn't those type of things not happen anymore? And even if they did wouldn't she wait until he was a legal adult and maybe have contacted Jaebum. He had spent the whole day filming and didn't even have time to check his phone. His phone had zero calls and zero texts about anything that could even remotely relate to “Hey dad, getting married, flying out for the honeymoon tomorrow”

 

He decided to search up Jackson's name, he was after all the only one engaged and the paparazzi had way of being even scarier each passing day. The very first article to come up had the headline “Kim Shinyoung reveals that she and Director Im Jaebum's son had gotten married months ago”

 

Excuse me? Jaebum thought. When could they have gotten married? How long has this relationship even been going for?

 

He drove home and found Jinyoung in the kitchen, head in his hands with a mug of tea in front of him. “Mine, what's wrong?” He placed his hand on Jinyoung's shoulder.

 

“I'm assuming you read the article. The articles.” Jinyoung said with a heavy voice.

 

Jaebum took the seat next to him. “I did. I wish I had some sort of time line for their relationship. Have they been dating for years and all the other women Jackson dated were just lies he told us? Or was he cheating on Shinyoung? Maybe they were just friends like us and one day realized they wanted to date.”

 

“Jackson's home. He went upstairs to change out of his workout clothing. As soon as he comes downstairs, we're going to have to talk to him.”

 

Jackson came down the stairs, cheery and whistling a happy tune. “Hey Dad! I didn't know you were home! How did filming go?”

 

“Jackson, why did you and Shinyoung get married months ago?” Jaebum blurted out.

 

Jackson stopped being so cheery. “You guys saw the article didn't you? Shinyoung-noona and I decided to lie and say that we've been keeping our marriage a secret so when the baby's born, no one can say anything about us not being married.”

 

Jinyoung couldn't think of anything to say. That was a surprising adult decision to make. He had to admit, it was an excellent choice to make. The best in the situation. Jinyoung wasn't a celebrity but it seemed like Jackson had done the right thing.


“But why can't you say that you had gotten engaged? You're the child of a gay couple! Shinyoung is a comedienne, she's not going to be judged on the same level as actresses and idols!” Jaebum said.

 

“We know but we still want to make sure everything's OK. Me and Noona are going to get married. She wants to do it after the baby is born. I could be happy getting married with her tomorrow.” Jackson said.

 

Jaebum continued on. “You're going to have get married with her tomorrow. Don't you think people are going to want to see photos at one point? What am I supposed to say when they ask me about this?”

 

“You can say that it was a very small wedding. Not even friends were invited. Just family and even then only the family that was close-by. Not even family that lived too far from Seoul could make it.” Jackson's answer sounded rehearsed. Shinyoung must have practiced it with him.

 

“And what about the photos? What's going to happen after the baby is born and you do get married for real? When you go to register your marriage?” Jaebum could feel his anger start to flare up.

 

Jinyoung placed a hand on top of Jaebum's. He had seen Jaebum at his angriest and knew all of the starting signs. “Relax, I'm sure that everything will be fine. Jackson and Shinyoung seem like they have this all planned out.”

 

“How am I supposed to relax! I don't want this to blow up in Jackson's face! The plan is going to go wrong at one point or another!” Jaebum's voice was getting louder. “Why did you have to get Shinyoung pregnant or propose to her anyway!”

 

“I don't know Dad! I'm sorry that I didn't know that I had to make sure that it was OK for me as an adult to propose to my girlfriend or for me to have a kid.” Jackson said before going up the stairs.

 

Jinyoung looked at Jaebum. “You're going to have to apologize to him. I'm not happy about this situation with Shinyoung either but it's Jackson's life.”

 

“I try so hard not to get angry at my kids. Jackson probably hates me right now.” Jaebum said crossing his arms over his chest.

 

“That's not true. Jackson and you are both adults. You're both reasonable adults even if it doesn't seem like it all the time. Go up and talk to him. He's probably waiting.”

 

Jaebum went up the stairs and found Jackson in his room with the door open. He was on his phone and didn't seem to be particularly upset. “Hey,” he said when he saw Jaebum. “I shouldn't have said that.”
 

Jaebum walked into Jackson's room. “No, I was wrong.” He sat down on Jackson's bed. “You do have a good plan. I was just being a dad.” Jaebum and Jackson both chuckled. Jaebum glanced at the cork board Jackson had in his room. There was a picture of him and Shinyoung and next to it, the ultrasound Shinyoung had given him as a Christmas present.

 

“You were right, there are still a lot of holes in the plan but I think for now, it should be enough.” Jackson said.

 

“You're an adult now. Wait a month before you announce Shinyoung's pregnancy. Even a month should keep the comments at bay.”

 

“Was it like this when you got Yugyeom's mom pregnant?”

 

“There weren't that many ways to spread news back then but we did have a general sense of what was going on. People weren't that happy with us when we announced that we weren't dating but we were going to have a kid. After we explained that it was almost like surrogacy and Yugyeom's mom was crowned a queen, people started treating us a lot better.”

The next day Jaebum woke up with a spring in his step. He was excited by the prospect of people asking him questions about Shinyoung and Jackson. He knew what to say and so did everyone else in the family that were “witnesses” to the marriage. No one would be rude enough to delve into too deep and if anyone made any comments about why didn't they announce their marriage right away instead of saying they were dating, Jaebum came up with the response that they weren't married at that time. Technically, it wasn't a lie.

 

He woke up in the afternoon, thankful for a late filming after the all-day and all-night one he had yesterday. He was stretching and getting ready to get out of bed when the phone rang. It was Key.

 

“Hello?” Jaebum picked up the phone.

 

“Taemin will break Korean Internet. He will break it. I don't even know what he does anymore.” Key's was in full-blown dialect mode.

 

“What did Taemin do?”

 

“Guess where he is?”

 

“Uh, Itaewon?” Jaebum already knew that this was going to be good.

 

“No, he's in Disneyland. The California Disneyland! Not Tokyo or even Hong Kong but just plain Disneyland. Do you know where he was two days ago? In Las Vegas! In Las Vegas getting married. To who? To the Swiss ski instructor that he had gotten pregnant.”

 

Why did everything Taemin do have to steal everyone else's thunder. No matter what anyone else did, Taemin had either done it first or done it better or bigger. “But I thought he didn't like her like that. Wasn't it just a one night stand?”


“It was! But I kept on suggesting that Taemin go to Switzerland as much as possible so he doesn't miss out on his daughter's life. So he can be a decent father. But he decides to go the maximum level and fly him, Heidi, and Jojo out to Las Vegas and then to Disneyland for a nice family vacation.”

 

Jaebum hated himself for not knowing to this day if Heidi was the mother or the daughter. “At least Taemin is settling down.”

 

“Speaking of settling down, I didn't know that Jackson and Kim Shinyoung had been dating for that long.” Key said.


“I didn't know either.”


There was a pause. “Jackson and Kim Shinyoung aren't really married are they?”

 

“No, they're engaged.”

 

“Honestly, Jaebum, I don't know how your family hasn't gotten a reality TV show yet.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a short one because like I said last chapter, I wanted to have one giant chapter but decided it would be better if the chapters were split because of how different the plots are.

<3 Smooches <3