Uncle JYP

I Got Yours, Mine, and Ours

“Caramel Macchiato, my uncle is coming to visit.” Jinyoung said as he and Jaebum washed the dishes after lunch.

 

“Oh, OK. Is he traveling from Jinhae?” Jaebum asked.

 

“No, not one of those uncles. When I say my uncle. I mean my uncle.” Jinyoung stressed the word uncle each time.

 

“That uncle?”
 

“What other uncle could I have that requires me to talk about him like this?”

 

“Kids! Emergency family meeting!” Jaebum yelled out. The children, who were all watching TV, came running into the kitchen. “Jinyoung's uncle is coming to visit.”

 

“Uncle?” Mark asked.

 

“Uncle.” Jinyoung replied with a nod.

 

“What's so special about Mom's uncle?” BamBam asked.

 

“This uncle of mine, is my biological uncle but at the same time he's not. Either way, he's very famous.”

 

“Is he a politician? Or an actor?” Yugyeom asked.

 

“No, think about my name.” Jinyoung said.

 

“Park Jinyoung. Park Jinyoung. Jinyoung Park. Jinyoung Park.” Jackson whispered to himself before realization dawned on him. “JYP!” he yelled out.

 

“Correct. JYP is my uncle.” Jinyoung said sheepishly.

 

“How?” BamBam was in disbelief.

 

“I think y'all need to contact my grandparents for that one.” Jinyoung said. “Either way, he's coming over tomorrow.”

 

“Tomorrow? You said he was traveling?” Jaebum was the one in disbelief now.

 

“I never said that he was traveling. You did. It could be considered traveling if the traffic's bad enough.”

 

“How are we suppose to get the house ready for JYP? By today? I'm getting dizzy.” BamBam sat down on a chair at the kitchen island. “What if he brings Suzy along and it's love at first sight and we get married? I haven't graduated high school yet,”

 

“Trust me, I don't think you have to worry about that scenario.” Jaebum said.

 

“Dad, be supportive of me.” BamBam whined. “You found your true love, why can't I find mine?”

 

“It's because Suzy is the first female JYP idol whose name popped into your mind. You're not actually Suzy's fan. You just want to date a girl group member.” Jackson said.

 

“Me and most of the heteroual and biual men in Korea! You're the odd one out here!”

 

“Noona is prettier than any girl group member.” Jackson said.

 

“Don't fight.” Jaebum said getting in between them before things could get out of hand. “We never know what the future has in store. BamBam's teachers always said that if he put his mind on his schoolwork he could be a good student. Since he's putting his mind on trying to date a girl group member maybe he'll succeed.”

 

“Fight over?” Jackson asked.

 

“Fight over.” BamBam said giving Jackson a hug.

 

“The house isn't too bad. He's just coming over to meet everyone. Treat him like you would treat any great-uncle.” Jaebum said.

 

“Just don't call him great-uncle. He doesn't like being reminded that he is a great-uncle.” Jinyoung said.

 

“How do you think he'll react when he finds out he's going to be a great-great-uncle?” Jaebum whispered for only Jinyoung to hear.

 

“I don't even want to accept that reality.” Jinyoung whispered back to Jaebum.

 

The next day by one in the afternoon, everyone was ready for Uncle JYP to visit. Jaebum had been nervous about it, hence why he was wearing his glasses and had managed to dress like a father of five (although he prided himself on the fact that it wasn't that fatherly looking. He was wearing jeans after), he even thanked God that his hair was dyed black and not some strange color.

 

Jackson, BamBam, and Yugyeom also followed in Jaebum's footsteps and dressed nicer than usual. BamBam was wearing a blazer (no one in the family even knew where he got the blazer from) and he put off dying his hair for another day. Jackson was wearing a sweater and didn't have a snapback on. Yugyeom wondered if he should have worn the traditional royal outfits of his mother's kingdom before having Jaebum force him into a nice button up plaid shirt. Jinyoung, Mark, and Youngjae all dressed like they always did.

 

By one-thirteen, the doorbell rang. Jinyoung went to get it. “Uncle! I'm so glad you could make it!” Jinyoung said as he opened the door and there stood JYP with bright blonde hair carrying a large fruit basket. “You didn't have to get us this.” Jinyoung said when he spotted the fruit basket.

 

“You're my favourite nephew. Your family is large too. I'll have to admit, I was bit sad when I heard that you ran off to Europe to elope. I can understand not telling your parents but I'm your favourite uncle. Where's Mark and Youngjae?” JYP said as he handed Jinyoung the fruit basket to carry and went inside.

 

“Hello Uncle.” Mark and Youngjae greeted simultaneously.

 

“What up kiddos?” JYP said in English pulling Mark and Youngjae into a hug before ruffling their hair. “Is there anything that I can do to convince the both of you to become idols? I know Mark might be too old for it but Youngjae, you have so much potential.”

 

“Thank you Uncle but I'm good. I want to become a music therapist.” Youngjae said.

 

“Such a shame. You could have put Jonghyun to shame in the Idol Children of Gay Celebrities

category. JYP said with a tsk.

 

Jaebum nervously came forward to JYP and bowed. He didn't know why he was being so nervous, he had met JYP before, more times than he can count, but JYP did posses the aura of the owner of an entertainment label and he was Jinyoung's closest relative. “Hello JYP.”

 

“Don't be like that Jaebum! I've known you since you were in high school.” JYP said. “I always knew that you and Jinyoung would be together. I've should have known that you two would make it more than friends.”

 

“It was the most obvious thing I've ever seen. And I only saw pictures of it.” BamBam whispered to Yugyeom.

 

JYP walked in front of Jackson, BamBam, and Yugyeom. All of whom were standing in a straight line and bowed immediately when they saw JYP. “So you're my new nephews? I'll admit, I don't know much about you but I'm sure will get along just fine. Let's see if I can remember your names from what Jr has told me.”

 

He pointed at Jackson. “I knew who you are perfectly. Wang Jackson. I saw your fencing at the Asian Games, you're talented. I also know you as Shinyoung's boyfriend. She's a lucky lady, you could be an idol with that face.”

 

Jackson bowed. “Thank you but I'm the one who's lucky.”

 

“So lucky that they're having a baby.” Jaebum whispered to Jinyoung. Jinyoung silently groaned and covered his face.

 

JYP moved onto BamBam. “BamBam isn't it? I like your hair. You got the good taste of the Im's when it comes to hair. Your hair reminds me of Jaebum's back in his high school days.”

 

“Ah, thank you. Dad was the one who taught me everything.”

 

“Yugyeom. The prince of the family.” JYP said to Yugyeom. “You're the tallest one here. You do have something princely about you.”

 

Yugyeom gave his shy maknae smile and bowed.

 

They moved onto the kitchen table where apples and melons had been cut.

“Uncle,” Yugyeom said, testing the word out carefully. “Earlier, you said Jr-”

“Jr is Jinyoung.” JYP began to explain. “Since we have the same name, I've taken him to calling him Jr. That was his nickname during high school. It was also his stage name for JJ Project. JB was Jaebum's.”

 

Jackson laughed. “You guys had stage names? Was the performance club that serious?”

 

“Of course it was. JJ Project was the highlight of high school clubs across the country. I wanted to have them debut as an idol duo in JYP but they never agreed to it. I'm glad they didn't now. Their relationship might have never begun what it was now.” JYP said.

 

“You guys were that good?” BamBam was in awe. “Dad, why didn't you ever tell us that you were almost an idol?”

 

“It doesn't matter now. Mine is an academic psychologist and I'm a movie director. These are the career paths we were meant for. If we became idols, we would have never dated, the fear of getting caught and how awkward it would be if we were to break up and still had to perform together would be too strong.” Jaebum said.

 

“You can look up their music video on our YouTube page.” JYP said. “It was a hit.”

 

“You even had a music video?” Yugyeom said.

 

“Uncle did it as a gift, we never expected that it would get all the views that it did.” Jinyoung said. “You guys wouldn't like it. I wear spiked necklaces and bracelets throughout the whole thing.”

 

“Here, why don't you guys watch it.” JYP pulled out his phone and pulled up the video. Jackson, BamBam, and Yugyeom crowded around to watch it. Mark and Youngjae tried to resist it but they too, ended up watching it.

 

“That was so catchy.” Youngjae said after the video was over. “It really was a good song and a good music video.”

 

“I didn't know you rapped.” Mark said to Jinyoung. “Why didn't you ever tell us that you used to be a rapper.”

 

“It's all in the past now. Bounce was a good song and it did have a good music but me and Caramel Macchiato are older now. Do you think he can really go back to his old hair colours?” Jinyoung said.

 

“I thought you liked my hair in high school.” Jaebum said, offended.

 

“I did. I just don't know how the media would react if you left this house with that hair again. They would think you and BamBam are starting a father-son hair trend.” Jinyoung said.

 

“Do you want to?” BamBam asked Jaebum. “I was thinking about dying my hair again. Something that would go really well with this blazer. We could do it together. Sit in the salon together and talk about our lives.”

 

“Do you have any more stories about them in high school?” Yugyeom asked JYP.

 

“Of course I do. They're not too different from what they were like in high school. Only now they can stare at each other like two love-struck fools openly instead of privately. But if you really want to know. One time...”