One Year

I Got Yours, Mine, and Ours

The one year anniversary of Jaebum and Jinyoung's marriage marked a lot of things. They were the gay couple that Korea loved. I mean after all, who doesn't love the classic love story of two high school friends that almost became lovers and were separated but brought back together by destiny? It was something straight from a drama. It also helped that Jinyoung was the nephew of JYP, Jaebum was one of the country's best director, their youngest son was the future prince of a country, and that their second oldest had gotten a famous comedienne pregnant. But of course, the main focus was always on the couple themselves. But as with any star couples, their friends and even other gay couples had to comment when the media asked.

 

Take for example, power couple G-Dragon and Taeyang. Of course, if you asked the two if they were married or dating or engaged, you would be told that they were simply best friends that got into the industry together. Which worked when they were thirteen, not when they somehow “just as friends” ended up raising three children to adulthood together. They were promoting their new song together around the same time as the one year anniversary when a news reporter asked them the question.

 

“As a fellow gay couple what do you think about Director Im Jaebum and Professor Park Jinyoung's marriage?” The reporter asked professionally with no ill intent behind his words.

 

G-Dragon laughed. “We're not a gay couple but I have to say Director Im and Professor Park look very happy together.”

 

Taeyang chimed in. “I agree but once again the focus of this press report is about our new single and not any false rumours about our non-existent gay relationship. Also don't forget our son T.O.P's new furniture line is coming out soon.”

 

The same reporter asked another question. “If you two aren't a gay couple then why did once for throwback Thursday G-Dragon upload a picture of you two in tuxedos and caption it 'we look like husband and husband'. In both Korean and English?”

 

Taeyang stared at G-Dragon, while G-Dragon took a sip of his water before responding. “Do you know that our other son Daesung is coming back to Korean variety shows? And that was just an old picture between two best friends.”

 

Other gay power couples had more input on the matter. Like Coach Wu and his husband, Kim Minseok, who no one knew what he did but he made money just by breathing and looking pretty. They were in the Vancouver airport, getting ready to enjoy a visit to Coach Wu's hometown when the paparazzi, both Canadian and international, all herded around them.

 

A Korean paparazzi asked Minseok directly. “What do you think about Jaebum and Jinyoung's marriage?”

 

Minseok smiled and waved. “I think it's a very sweet love story between two people who are clearly soul mates. They both are incredibly sweet people and we love hanging out with them.”

 

In the meanwhile, Kris was talking to a Canadian sports journalist that had come to the airport about how “ball is life”.

“Kris, honey, what do you think about Jinyoung and Jaebum?” Minseok asked tugging on Kris's shirt.


“I think they're great. Jinyoung is a lot stronger than he looks and Jaebum is a lot weaker so it makes for a nice surprising balance.” Kris said.

 

“Just like at how all the parties in college I would beat you at beer pong.” Minseok said. If it wasn't so painfully true, Kris could have tried saying something. But how could he fight Minseok of all people? Not in a romantic sense or any way because it was how much he loved him, it was more in the way that he knew Minseok could knock him (and the majority of all the other players in the NBA) down flat before they could register what was happening.

 

Even their relatives, most famously Uncle JYP, who took the week of the wedding anniversary to dedicate all the official JYP social media platforms to the ex-JJ Project. Bounce even managed to make it's way back up into the digital charts. JYP even released a whole video of him talking about the couple onto YouTube.

 

The video was JYP sitting in a chair in a recording studio, plain and simple with no flashy clothing or background accessories. “I can still remember the day I went to surprise Junior, that is what I call Jinyoung, at his performance club. There he was practicing with who I would soon discover was JB, that's what I call Jaebum, from a neighbouring school. You can tell right away that they have amazing chemistry with each other. I wanted to take them in as an idol duo, they would have been a major hit. But they didn't want to and know everyone can see that it was for the best, but I wanted to give them a music video and so we made one for Bounce but no one had any idea how popular it would have gotten. They didn't want to be an idol duo but they still ended up getting famous. I thought those two were going to start dating at one point in high school but they never did. And then there was that horrible time period where they never saw each other again. But I always knew they would end up back together and that's why you should trust me.” JYP's tone suddenly became very formal as if he was running for a government position. “Because I'm JYP.”

 

The noona that Mark met at the park with the cute dog played 'Bounce' all day long at her restaurant on the day of the wedding anniversary. If the song wasn't potentially the catchiest song in the history of the world and if the noona wasn't the boss, her employees might have even complained. Shinyoung talked about the anniversary on Happy Together, even stating that she wished she and Jackson could have a marriage as beautiful as that.

 

Of course, the sons all took to various social media proudly declaring how proud they were of their parents. BamBam's selfies with long heartfelt messages were a hit on Instagram. Jackson's more joke-y ones made everyone laugh. Yugyeom made a cake in his home economics class. Youngjae spent the day playing the wedding march on the piano.

 

Later that evening, Jaebum and Jinyoung were alone in their room with a bottle of champagne. The children had graciously come up with various excuses to spend that night away from home (which resulted in Youngjae's mortified expression when he finally realized the implications behind it all) but even then Jinyoung and Jaebum wanted to be in their room.


Jaebum popped open the bottle of champagne and poured into the flutes that Jinyoung had. “Let's do this the real anniversary, love shot.” Jaebum intertwined his arm with Jinyoung's and they both downed their champagne.

 

“I'm so glad I met you.” Jinyoung said.

 

“When you say that, are you talking about the time in high school or now?” Jaebum asked.

 

“Both. Both times I'm glad I met you. Because meeting you in high school was the catalyst for my whole life and meeting you again made me realize what I was missing in my life when I thought I already had everything I needed. Without Jaebum there would be no Jinyoung.”

 

“You know, I always thought about this in high school but never said it because well, I was in high-school but I always knew we were going to be together.”

 

Jinyoung rolled his eyes.


“I”m being serious!” Jaebum said. “From the first time we talked, I knew that this was going to be the one person at the end of it all that I was going to be with. At one point sooner or later we were going to meet again.”

 

Jinyoung kissed Jaebum. “Happy one year.”

 

Jaebum kissed him again. “And to many more.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In case you've already read this chapter and are wondering why you are being updated about it, a  reader pointed out to me that this chapter had gone missing and I don't know how or why that happened. I can assure I didn't do anything to it, it just deleted itself.

Anyway, the next chapter will be out much sooner than the wait of this one.

<3 Smooches <3