You Can't Date Someone For Their Dog

I Got Yours, Mine, and Ours

The Im-Park family were in the living room watching a drama, Jinyoung and Jaebum sat in the center of the couch while BamBam and Yugyeom sat on the left and Youngjae on the right. Jackson and Mark were both missing.

 

Jinyoung glanced at the digital clock near the TV. It was exactly midnight. “Do any of you know where Mark or Jackson could be? I'm not too worried about Jackson because he's usually not home at this time anyway on Saturday but what about Mark?” Jinyoung asked.

 

“Sometimes he goes out and plays basketball in the park.” Yugyeom said. “But it was cold today.”

 

“He wasn't home when I arrived from filming.” Jaebum said. “Were any of you home during the day?”

 

“I saw him when I was left the house for piano practice but that was nine in the morning.” Youngjae said.

 

“I didn't know you played piano.” Jaebum said.

 

“I'm not really that good.” Youngjae said shyly. “I've just been playing for a really long time.”

 

“Me and BamBam-hyung left the house during the afternoon and he was still there when we came back he wasn't.” Yugyeom said.

 

“Let's wait a little more. It's probably nothing.”

 

It was twelve-thirty-six when Jackson come home. He stuck his head into the TV room. “Hey guys, what are you doing?”

 

“Watching a drama. Want to join us?” BamBam replied.

 

“Will do, let me take a shower and go change first.” Jackson took the stairs, two at a time.

 

“Did he leave a bag on the table?” Jaebum asked spotting a white plastic bag.


“I'll go get it.” Jinyoung said getting up and walking towards the kitchen. He froze when he saw the design on the bag. The bag's design and the website address printed at the bottom was the same as one of the most upscale baby clothing stores in Seoul. Jinyoung had been there with Kibum while Kibum selected hanboks to send to Switzerland. The store was famous for its personalization and custom made baby clothes. Jinyoung gingerly picked up the bag and brought it to the living room.

 

“Oh my God.” Jaebum said when he saw that bag.

 

“I can't believe Jackson-hyung really did get Shinyoung-noona pregnant.” BamBam said dumbfounded.

 

“What's in the bag?” Youngjae asked.

“I don't know. I didn't look inside.” Jinyoung said.

 

“They sell snacks and drinks in the front near the check-out line. Maybe he stopped there to go buy something to eat and used the bag to keep his trash until he got home.” Jaebum suggested.

 

Jinyoung shook his head. “No. It feels heavier than trash. There's something in here.” Jinyoung reached into the bag and pulled out a full set of a baby fencing outfit. It even had a little fake sabre. The back of the jacket even said 'Baby Wang' on it.

 

“He got the baby a fencing outfit.” Jaebum said. He wanted to cry. He could picture Jackson talking to a store worker carefully explaining how he wanted the outfit for his future child and it was immediately followed by Jackson and him on the plane from Hong Kong to Korea and Jackson winning his first match and Jackson graduating from high school. It was too much for Jaebum. He instinctively felt himself pulling BamBam and Yugyeom closer to him.

 

“Let's put it back. It could be for something else.” Jinyoung said putting the bag back on the table and sitting back down on the couch before Jackson could arrive. Jackson came back downstairs in his pyjamas.

 

“Where's Mark-hyung?” Jackson asked.

 

Jaebum came back down to reality. “You don't know where Mark is either? None of us do. Did you see him at all today?”

 

Jackson shook his head. “I left the house a little after BamBam and Yugyeom did. He was still here.”

 

“I'm starting to get really worried. Mark isn't the one to disappear late at night. I should call his cell phone.” Jinyoung.

 

“No! Don't do that Mom. What if Mark-hyung is out with a girl? Or with his friends? He could be occupied.” Jackson said.

 

“But Mark doesn't hang out with girls at this time of night. He doesn't hang out with boys either. Mark isn't attracted to people like that!” Jinyoung said.

 

“Maybe he isn't having with someone, maybe he's just on a date. A date doesn't require anything physical.” Jaebum said.

 

“But who would Mark-hyung date? He's always home. Where would he meet people?” Youngjae asked.

 

They watched TV until one in the morning when they heard the door rattle and Mark enter the house. “Is everyone in the TV room?” Mark asked entering the TV room.

 

“Mark, where were you? We were all worried. Don't do that to me.” Jinyoung said, getting up from the couch and walking over to stand directly in front of Mark. He pulled Mark into a hug. “Next time you're going to do something out of character, call or text one of us. I almost had a heart attack.”

 

Mark patted his dad's back. “I'm sorry. I really am. I didn't think I was going to be out so late.”

 

“What were you doing until now?” Jaebum asked.

 

“I was at Han River. I was just hanging out, enjoying the night view, I ate some ramen before I came back home, I relaxed on the grass. I also meet Youngsoon, that was the highlight of the night.” Mark said.

 

“You were at Han River with Youngsoon?”Jackson broke out into a sly grin. “Did you go to that motel near Han River? The one that's white and blue with the really big parking lot?”

 

“No one needs to know that. Or how you know that.” Youngjae said to Jackson.

 

“I was asking! I was just wondering if Mark-hyung's experiences were like my own.” Jackson defended himself.

 

“Youngsoon isn't a girl. She's a dog. I met her and her owner when they were walking along the River. She was a really cute dog and her owner was nice.” Mark said.

 

Jinyoung sat back down on the couch with a hand on his forehead. “Oh my God, Mark, you can't date someone just for their dog.”

 

“I'm not dating her for her dog. I like dogs, I always wanted one remember? Youngsoon was a cute dog and the noona that owns her was nice enough to let me pet her.”


“You can't date some random noona you met at the park because you think her dog is cute. What about the examples that you're setting for me and the rest of your younger siblings?” BamBam said.

 

“I didn't go on a date with her although I do miss going on dates. Not dating someone but going on a date.” Mark said.

 

“Are you really going to go on a date with this noona just because you like her dog?” Yugyeom asked. “I don't think you should date someone just because you want their dog.”

 

“Or did you already go on a date? Your outfit is...sort of y.” Jaebum noted.

 

Mark looked down at what he was wearing. He had to admit the white tank-top he was wearing did seem a lot ier now that the green plaid shirt he was wearing over it was tied around his waist. “I didn't go on a date with her, I swear. I just liked her dog.”