Happy New Year

I Got Yours, Mine, and Ours

Jinyoung had let Jaebum maintain any old New Year's tradition that he had. Jinyoung never really planned out much for the New Year and mainly did the same boring old thing as the rest of Korea but Jaebum talked about New Year's and the Im New Year traditions as if it was the be-all end-all of the family's holiday dynamics.

 

However, Jinyoung was not expecting sitting around the TV with a mountain of takeout food in front of him and wearing animal kigurumis. Jinyoung had gotten on a first name basis with the people who worked at the three closest takeout restaurants in the area. He couldn't remember the last time he had cooked or watched someone in the household cook. At work, he even wondered if it would be ethical to use his own family as research on takeout food and the brain.

 

“Where is Jackson?” Jinyoung asked. Another thing he had gotten used to. Jackson would leave with warning (and sometimes without) and he had been told that it was best to continue on with the day and not stop for Jackson. Jackson didn't have a job or school but Jinyoung felt that Jackson wasn't the busiest one in the family.

 

“He was going to spend some time with Shinyoung-noona. He did say he come back here at night but that we should start eating without him.” Yugyeom explained, already positioned on the floor in front of the TV.

 

“Should we have invited Shinyoung?” Jinyoung whispered to Jaebum who was sitting next to him on the couch.


“I don't know, I feel like a horrible person for not inviting my son's pregnant fianceé but at the same time, Jackson didn't mention anything about it and I think he even said something about Shinyoung having something to do?” Jaebum whispered back.


“OK, so we're not that horrible.” Jinyoung said, not believing much of it.

 

“What are we going to be watching?” Youngjae asked, passing out chopsticks to everyone before sitting on the floor alongside Yugyeom and BamBam.

 

“The end of the year awards as voted by the Korean public and some professional judges. One of my dramas is nominated and it's always fun to see what happened throughout the year.” Jaebum said.

 

“And why do you guys wear animal kigurumis?” Jinyoung asked.

 

“I don't know. We've been doing it for a while, we change whenever one of the kids outgrow them although now that doesn't happen but we've always been the same animals. Don't I make good unicorn?” Jaebum asked, striking a pose.


“What kind of unicorn wears a snapback?” Jinyoung teased.”And where did you even get the kigurumis for us?” Jinyoung had awoken on that day, to find Jaebum holding a box. Jinyoung, in a state of shock from seeing Jaebum wake up before him, opened the box to find a kangaroo kigurumi for him.

 

“Well, since you're the mom, doesn't the kangaroo make sense for you to be?” Jaebum began. “I got the gorilla for Youngjae and the Formosa deer for Mark based on their hair colours. Or at least, their old hair colours.” All of the family minus Youngjae and Mark turned to look at Youngjae and Mark's hair sadly.

 

Mark reached up to fix his hair. The kigurumi was too big for his head and the edge of it kept falling into his face and he had worn his bangs today, causing him difficulty seeing. He was reaching up to fix his hair for what felt like the thousandth time since he put on the kigurumi and came downstairs.

 

Jaebum began to pass out the food, giving everyone their rice and soup, and placing the containers of steamed chicken in the centre. Everyone began to grab at the chicken. Mark pulled out his phone and messed around a bit with his hair to get it perfectly before beginning to take some selfies. He didn't want anyone to notice, mostly because they would inevitably accuse him of taking them to send to the “noona he met at the park with the cute dog”. Mark wasn't taking them to send to her but he would most likely end up sending them to her anyway.

 

“How am I going to eat steamed chicken when I'm dressed like a chicken?” BamBam asked holding up a piece of chicken in front of his face, staring at it like a critic might stare at a piece of art. Youngjae stared at BamBam's red kigurumi with the bird's blue eyes resting on top of BamBam's head and wondered if he should say something.

 

“They're doing the trendiest word or phrase of the year.” Jinyoung said as everyone payed attention to the TV. “Why are they all from the Do-Kim's or the Wu's though? Did their variety show do that well?”

 

“The word is going to be 'yehet'. I even asked the writer of my drama if she could include it in the script because everyone was using it.” Jaebum said.

 

“No way. The winner is going to be 'not my style.'” Yugyeom contested. “It's a phrase that's always been used but Uncle Yifan gave it new life.”

 

The winner was declared to be 'yehet'. “I knew it. Kyungsoo-hyung raised his children to do well in life.” Jaebum said.

 

Mark had finished taking his selfies and began to eat his soup, as soon as he tasted it, he realized it was galbitang. “I like this soup.” Mark said.

 

“Mark-hyung is a total soup addict.” Youngjae said.

 

“Really? For us, it was always BamBam.” Jaebum said.

 

“If you order samgyeopsal and you don't drink the soup more than you eat the meat, what was the point of ordering it in the first place?” BamBam philosophized.

 

“Hyung, are you still like this because of the blazer?” Yugyeom asked.

 

“BamBam and Yugyeom are the chocolate milkshake addicts of the family.” Jaebum said. “Bribe them with chocolate milkshakes and they'll do anything you ask.”

 

“Youngjae can eat anything except for cucumbers.” Jinyoung said.

 

“I really can't eat them.” Youngjae said. He got up and began to his kigurumi. “This is so much better.” he sat down and continued eating.

 

“It's a good thing that I'm a hippo and we're the strongest animal.” Yugyeom said eating the chicken nuggets he was given.

 

They watched the awards in silence before Jaebum broke it. “Is anyone keeping track of how many awards Kangin and Leeteuk and their children have gotten yet?”

 

“Just assume everyone unless you can remember who actually won them.” Jinyoung said. He gasped when he saw what was on the screen. “Caramel Macchiato, look! We're one of the nominees for best couple.”

 

“Imagine if we win second place.” Jaebum said.


“Why do you want to win second place, when you can win first place?” Youngjae asked.

 

“Don't you see? We're up against Kangin and Leeteuk, they're going to win.” Jaebum explained and true to his word, he and Jinyoung did end up getting second place while Kangin and Leeteuk got first. The door opened and Jackson came into the living room. Jaebum grabbed the tiger kigurumi he had by his side and threw it to Jackson. “Put this on and join us. We have steamed chicken and green tea ice cream.”

 

Jackson put on the tiger kigurumi and took a seat next to Mark and began eating. “Is that me and Noona?” The category name 'Scandal You Weren't Expecting' flashed on screen before being announced that Kim Shinyoung dating Jackson Wang, fencer and son of Im Jaebum had won. “Yes! Me and Noona won an award.”

 

“Imagine if they find out that she's pregnant.” Jinyoung said to Jaebum.

 

“Imagine if they find out that they're engaged.” Jaebum replied.

 

The time had come for the best drama to be announced. Everyone in the family leaned in as they said the nominees and then the winner. There was a flurry of excitement, as everyone got up and went to hug Jaebum when it was announced that his drama had won.

“I'm proud of you PD-nim.” Jinyoung said, cupping his hands around Jaebum's face to kiss him.

 

They watched the year end awards until the end and after it was over Jaebum turned off the TV. “Yugyeom, every time we betted on who was going to win in each category, you got it wrong.” Jaebum said.

 

“I know, next year I'll have better luck.” Yugyeom said, already not liking where this was headed.

 

“Doesn't our family do some light punishments whenever won of us lose whenever we're betting?” BamBam began. “Why are we going to change that just because we got a step-parent and step-brothers?”

 

“Plus, I'm going to be filming this and sending it to your mom.” Jaebum said. He set up the tripod and one of the cameras that were always around the house in case Jaebum's director's instinct decided to appear.

 

“Why are you sending it to my mom? I think the only reasons you do these things is because of my mom.” Yugyeom pouted, trying to get out of it.

 

Jaebum had finished setting up the camera. “I don't just do this because of your mom and even if I did, what's the problem? Your mom cares about you and wants to see how you're doing. She has that right. Also, she has a really weird sense of humor, I can't control it and neither can anyone else.” Jaebum reached for a plastic cup that sat in the TV room filled with slips of paper and that Jinyoung had never bothered to find out what it was. “Get five of them.”

 

Yugyeom grabbed one and immediately made a sour expression when he opened it. Jackson grabbed it out of his hands and showed it to everyone. On the paper was written 'The right to prohibit speaking'. Jackson grabbed the second one for Yugyeom and opened it up to show everyone. On that paper it was written 'Dress like a girl'

 

“That's why your mom puts these in this box.” Jaebum reached for the box that the plastic cup was placed open and it opened it to reveal a plastic tiara and a few very pink barrettes and hair-ties. Everyone grabbed a few and descended upon Yugyeom, playing around with his hair.

 

“Everyone, get in the picture, Mine will take the photo.” Jaebum handed his cell-phone over to Jinyoung and everyone crowded around Yugyeom, now a girl, to take the picture. Jaebum took a paper slip and handed it to Yugyeom who opened it and showed it to everyone. 'Fulfill a few wishes.'

 

“Perfect, I'll pinch your cheeks.” Jaebum said going over to Yugyeom. “My cute Yugyeom. This reminds me of the times before you were born and we didn't know if we were having a boy or girl. It's nice to know that if I had gotten a daughter, she would have been cute.” Yugyeom spit at Jaebum. Jaebum wiped away the spit and sat back down.

 

Youngjae puffed out one of his cheeks to Yugyeom. “Give your oppa a peck.” Yugyeom stared at Youngjae unamused. “What? What kind of a sister hates her brother?” Yugyeom obliged and gave a very, very quick peck to Youngjae's cheek.

 

“Do some aegyo in front of the camera.” BamBam said. Yugyeom did as followed. “Your mom is going to love this.” BamBam said encouragingly patting Yugyeom's shoulder.

 

“Let's take a picture together.” Mark said wrapping his arm around Yugyeom's shoulder as he adjusted his phone and took the picture.

“Don't send that picture to the noona you met at the park.” BamBam said. “It's too early in your relationship for her to see how weird our family is.”

 

“You should send a video letter to your step mom.” Jackson said. “In English.” Yugyeom made a face of displeasure. “What? Your step mom is a really nice person. I'm sure she wants to have a better relationship with you but can't because of the language barrier. They teach you English in school and you're surrounded by English speakers at home. Do you think she has time to learn Korean when she has a country to run?”

 

Yugyeom said a few sentences in English before Jaebum stopped recording. Everyone clapped and laugh.

 

“I hope 2015 is as crazy as 2014 was.” BamBam said.

 

“Isn't it weird to think that me and Caramel Macchiato only reunited a few months ago? We spent more of 2014 not knowing of each other's existence and yet it feels like we've been a family forever.” Jinyoung said.

 

“2015 will be an even better year then. Because then we'll have been a part of each other's lives for one whole year.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone!

This is the New Year special and I hope all of you have a happy new year and I wish you all the best in 2015.

I hoped you like the special and are excited to see what will happen to the Im-Park family in 2015. (I read somewhere that Mark's favourite song from the new album was She's a Monster and he really likes the part where he says "and I'll serve you as my master" but like submissive!aual Mark? In a familyau fanfic? Should I go for it? Should drunk on New Year's Eve me be allowed near this fanfic?)

In other excited news, remember that Xiuris Canadian!au I wanted to write? Well, it's been posted! Here it is! I hope all of you check it out and like it!

Don't forget to comment!

<3 Smooches <3

P.S: No seriously, submissive!aual Mark. Is that Ok? Is that a thing? Should I make it into a thing?

P.P.S: Let's be real I probably will make it into a thing.