Meeting at Happy Together

I Got Yours, Mine, and Ours

Note: This entire chapter is a flashback.

 

Jinyoung was nervous. He didn't want to admit it but it was true. This was the first time he would be on TV. Not only TV but Happy Together, a show that's been around for a while. The show was running for almost as long as his kids have been alive! He knew that it was all psychological and that this TV appearance wasn't going to make him or break him. He reasoned that half of the reason he was nervous was because of the star factor. The episode might have had been a special on 'Handsome Men Behind the Scenes' but all of the other “handsome men” would be producers or composers or celebrity managers. They might not be as famous as the people that were in the spotlight all the time but at least they had experience with celebrities.

 

All Jinyoung was a professor. He knew he had a reputation for being a handsome professor and he had been told when he was younger that he could make it as a celebrity. His own uncle tired to get him to become an idol. But Jinyoung knew deep down inside that he wouldn't make it. He had a calling and it was academic psychology. Were they going to bring up Uncle JYP? They had to. Or at the very least when he said his name was Park Jinyoung, someone was bound to make that comment. What if he wasn't as handsome as everyone thought he was? He did garner some fame on the Internet when one of his students posted a series of pictures of him on Pann about how handsome he was. But what if everyone watching the show saw him and thought he wasn't all that that he was in the pictures?

 

He was sitting in the dressing room waiting for filming to begin. He had already greeted all the hosts and the other guests. So far, everyone seemed nice. There wasn't anyone that overtly rude or said something. He even had a few short conversations here and there. He figured once filming started, he would feel much better. That is, if filming started. The last guest, someone involved with dramas, was caught in traffic and would be running late. Thankfully, it wasn't too late yet and whoever this guy was, he was pretty important. Jinyoung decided to head back to the main dressing room where everyone was as they began to finally get ready to film.

 

He was talking to a songwriter about an album that he had helped write that Jinyoung was a fan of when he heard it. The voice that Jinyoung would be able to spot out in a crowd. Jaebum. Im Jaebum. Famous director of dramas and movies, biual, and with three sons. Mark and Youngjae always liked to tease Jinyoung about his “celebrity crush” on Jaebum and Jinyoung had long decided to stop fighting them. It was true, Jinyoung was passionate and enthusiastic about Jaebum's work. He believed that Jaebum had yet to direct a bad movie or drama.

 

It also didn't hurt that he and Jaebum knew each other in high school. Jinyoung, back in high school, wasn't in love with Jaebum. They were best friends and the most talented duo in the performing arts club but it wasn't until after graduation when Jinyoung and Jaebum were headed off to different universities and paths in life that Jinyoung realized that for all that time, a part of him was in love with Jaebum.

 

“Jinyoung?” Jaebum asked. Jinyoung turned around and Jaebum tried to compose himself. It was Jinyoung, even after all these years, Jaebum knew he could spot Jinyoung from a mile away. Jinyoung seemed to have barely aged.

 

“Hello.” Jinyoung bowed.

 

“Do you two know each other?” Yoo Jaesuk asked.

 

“Our high schools were near each other and so we saw each other often. We were both in the performing arts club. ” Jaebum said.

 

One of the assistants came out and told the MC's to go the sauna so the filming could start. Once the MC's left, Jaebum began to talk to Jinyoung.

 

“I'm sorry, you must have not remembered me.” Jaebum said.

 

“No, I remember you. I watch every single one of your dramas and movies. I'm a fan. Even when you appear, on a variety show or an interview or press conference, I always sit down and watch.” Jinyoung confessed.

Jaebum smiled. One of his eye-smiles when his whole face crinkled up adorably, just like in high school.“What do you do? I heard that there was a professor here and I have a feeling it might be you.”

 

“It's me. I work as a psychology professor. I also do research on general psychological trends.”

 

“I have no idea what any of that means.” Jaebum said. “I was never as good at school as you were.”

 

“You did well in life though. You're not lacking in the job department or the looks department. You also managed to be a great dad.”

 

Jaebum smiled at the mention of his sons. “It was tough raising them on my own but I wouldn't trade it for the world. Do you have any kids?”

 

“I have two. Two sons.”

 

Jaebum stopped smiling. “I'm sure they're both very handsome and smart. It's the very least we can expect from Park Jinyoung's children. What does your partner do if you don't mind me asking?”

 

“I don't have a partner. Just like you, I've raised both of my sons alone.”

 

Jaebum laughed. “We can come back on another episode about single dads then.”

 

Jinyoung laughed as well. “Yes we can.”

 

The actual filming went on well. It was pleasant and Jinyoung was glad that he was no longer nervous.

 

“Now, Jinyoung and Jaebum, both of you have great chemistry with each other. Jaebum, I think you said that you went to high school together.” Yoo Jaesuk said.

 

“No, we went to high school next to each other.” Jaebum clarified. “We did become friends though but this is the first time we've seen each other since high school ended.” Jaebum smiled at Jinyoung and Jinyoung smiled back. It paid to be sitting next to each other.

 

“Jaebum, you're single right now. You should date Jinyoung.” Myungsoo said.

 

“You can't say that, you don't even know if Jinyoung is into men!” Misun said.

 

“I was just suggesting!” Myungsoo said. “And a lot of people are wondering if you are gay, Jinyoung.”

 

“I am gay.” Jinyoung said. “I am gay and single.”

 

“All of the good-looking men are always gay.” Misun said. “But if you two end up together, you need to be sure to thank Happy Together.”

 

Jinyoung and Jaebum laughed while looking at each other.

 

Filming was over and Jinyoung was getting ready to leave, he had already changed into his normal clothing and checked his phone for any text messages from Mark or Youngjae stating that something had gone terribly wrong. Nothing had.

“Hey Jinyoung.” Jaebum said and Jinyoung was struck that Jaebum actually was a celebrity. There was this aura to him and the way he dressed, brown boots, jeans, and a fashionable button up shirt would have made any man his age seem like they were trying too hard to be 'young and hip' but Jaebum made it look good. Jinyoung was suddenly painfully aware of how 'nerdy' he was dressed in a turtleneck and black pants. Mark and Youngjae always talked about how he was fashionable for a dad and always kept up with fashion trends but he was nowhere near a celebrity's level.

 

“Hello. It was great to see you again.” Jinyoung said, trying to get out.

 

“Where are you going?”

 

“Home. I have to head back to my sons.”

 

“Are they young?”

 

“No.” Jinyoung felt himself get hotter under the collar of his turtleneck. He didn't know if it was because Jaebum had gotten even more handsome was age or the fact that he was about to admit that he was a a bit of a helicopter parent. But then again, he wasn't too much of a helicopter parent, it wasn't like he was stalking Mark to see what he did since Mark seemed to do nothing. “My youngest is a teenager and my eldest is in his twenties.”

 

“That's the same age as my sons!” Jaebum asked, already taking out his phone. “Do you mind giving me your number? I wouldn't want to lose you again.”

 

Even though, Jaebum meant in the platonic sense of wanting to maintain old contacts, the phrase still sent butterflies right into Jinyoung's stomach. “Yeah sure, let me type it in.” Jinyoung took Jaebum's phone from him and put in his number.

 

Jaebum took his phone back. “It was really great seeing you. I never thought I would see you again and that always made me really sad. Every time I was going to do something stupid and that I knew was stupid but I was still going to do it anyway, I would hear your voice in my head telling me not to do it.” Jaebum was now bright red. “Both of us have to get back to our kids but keep your phone close to you. You'll be hearing a lot from me.”

 

“I wouldn't want it any other way.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I know it's been another while but I have finally freed myself from all my work duties for a long while and am now able to write fanfiction and just relax and catch up on all the fanfiction I have to read and write. I missed you all terribly and I missed this fanfiction terribly.

Someone had said that they wanted to see a flashback and I decided that it would be a great idea to write one. It was fun to write because this is like the most important event in the fanfiction and it happened "offscreen" so it was nice to get the full details.

  In all seriousness, I've missed every single one of you way too much and thank you so much for sticking with this story and I love you all.

<3 Smooches <3