The 2014 Asian Games

I Got Yours, Mine, and Ours

It was the opening ceremony for the 2014 Asian Games and the Im-Park family were getting everything ready before they headed out the door to drive to Incheon. Jackson would be representing Hong Kong in fencing and Jinyoung, Mark, and Youngjae had only heard about Jackson's talent for fencing but never seen it in person. They were very proud of the fact that Jackson was momentarily employed.

 

“Are you sure that she's coming?” Jinyoung asked Jaebum.

 

“Trust me, Jackson has sent me 50 text messages within ten minutes asking about her. I can only imagine how many text messages he's sending her.” The family was waiting for Shinyoung to arrive. She had originally planned to go there by herself and meet up with the family in the stands but Jackson insisted on her going with the family. When he looked up into the bleachers he wanted to see everyone together and know that his family was always together.

 

Shinyoung arrived at the house and hurriedly enter dropping a fruit basket onto the table. “I just brought this along as a small gift. We can leave now. Jackson-ah has been sending me a lot of text messages. I think he's really worried about this.”

 

Everyone piled into the mini-van. “See BamBam, even if we had Jackson here with us, we still would have room for Shinyoung.” Jinyoung said.

 

“He's never going to let this mini-van thing go.” BamBam mumbled under his breath.

 

“Neither are you.” Yugyeom, who was closest to BamBam and heard everything, said.

 

The car ride wasn't too bad, every time they would hit traffic, Shinyoung told jokes and they shared stories about all the things Jackson had done.


“Noona, I've been meaning to ask, why did you bring two fan-signs with you?” Yugyeom asked.

 

Shinyoung reached underneath her seat and pulled them out. They were slightly large, squared-shaped, with cut-outs of bright colours. “Jackson made me make them for him, actually he made most of this himself. This one says 'Get gold and I'll marry you'.” Shinyoung raised the first fan-sign before tucking it underneath her seat again and pulling out the second one. “This one reads 'Jackson is the perfect boyfriend.'”

 

“I can't believe he only told you to make signs. We had to make a banner.” Jaebum said. “It's in the trunk of the van. We had to write 'perfect son or the best big brother or the best little brother' on the side while in big huge Chinese characters in red paint, Jackson Wang.”

 

“Shouldn't it be Im Jackson?” Jinyoung asked.

 

“I let Jackson keep his original last name. I don't know why he had us write in the Western order.” Jaebum said.

 

They arrived at the stadium and found their spot in the stands next to the Lee family. They greeted the Lee family and sat down. “Where's Taemin?” Jaebum asked Key.

 

“He's in Switzerland. I wanted him to come and bring along my granddaughter to watch her uncle but they couldn't. So I sent Taemin to Switzerland so he could spend some time with her.” Key said staring at his cell-phone. Jaebum could see that his cell-phone background was him holding up his granddaughter.

 

“She's very cute. From what I can tell she looks more like Taemin.”

 

“She looks even more like him in real life. When I got to Switzerland, I was in shock. It looked like her mother had nothing to do with the whole process. Although I do like her mom. I'm glad my granddaughter is going to be raised by someone I approve of. I just wished she quit teaching extreme snowboarding.” Key made a disgusted face at the last sentence. “How are things going with Shinyoung?”

 

“Good. She hasn't come over much, at least when we're home and Jackson hasn't brought her over to dinner but she makes him happy and now that she's hosting Happy Together, we watch it like it's our religion.”

Jinyoung was staring at the Lee family and turned to BamBam who was next to him. “Jackson isn't going to make us wear that right?”

 

The Lee family had all dressed in Minho's soccer jersey, the only difference that instead of the back reading Minho's name, it read 'Key' or 'Onew' or 'Jonghyun'. In a way it was adorable, Key and Onew looking like the picture perfect proud celebrity parents and Jonghyun posed for fan's pictures and signed autographs all the while making sure that when the Korean men's soccer team came out they cheered the loudest for Minho.

 

“No. I don't think Jackson would go to that level. Plus, I support Thailand.” BamBam had managed to materialize a small Thai flag from out of nowhere and was waving it.

 

“If Jackson made us wear jerseys with his name on it, I think I would go live with my mom.” Yugyeom said, he along with Mark were stuck holding the banner the whole entire opening ceremony.


“Oh, here comes the Wu's.” Jinyoung said to the group as the Wu's drew closer. Jinyoung didn't know if it was because they had two children competing in the games or if it was because Yifan was Tall, Handsome, and Canadian or the fact that Minseok carried a halo and an aura of beauty everywhere he went but the Wu's looked like the mere presence could win China the game.

 

“Uncle Yifan, shouldn't you be down there? Aren't you the coach for the Chinese men's basketball team?” Youngjae asked once the Wu's had sat down. For a moment, the whole entire stadium was silent.

 

“Oh my God, Youngjae why don't you go the concession stand and buy water. For all of us. For the whole city.” Jaebum said pulling Youngjae up and pushing him out of the stands.

 

“What did I do?” Youngjae leaned into Jaebum's ear and whispered.

 

“He coaches a basketball team in the Chinese league but he coaches the Canadian men's basketball team.” Jaebum whispered back.

 

Youngjae's eyes went wide and he quickly scurried off to the concession stand. Jinyoung and Mark dropped their heads.

 

The opening ceremony began and as soon as Jackson saw them, he jumped around and waved. Despite the embarrassment, the family managed to cheer and wave back to Jackson.

 

Because at least for one month, Jackson would be employed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was something very quick that I wrote for the Opening Ceremony of the Asian Games which was yesterday (September 19th). It's held in South Korea this year and if any of you like sports I highly suggest watching the Games. I actually wanted to go and watch them live and say it was for work but since the Games are more than just football, it wasn't justified. But I will be watching them through computer.

<3 Smooches <3