Youngjae's Piano Recital

I Got Yours, Mine, and Ours

“You really didn't have to do all that.” Jinyoung said as he noticed Jaebum, Jackson, BamBam, and Yugyeom entering the aisle they were sitting in. It was the night of Youngjae's piano recital and the whole family had come to watch. The auditorium were the piano recital was being held, was the academy's very own. Jinyoung had enrolled Youngjae in the very best piano classes that were possible and there were added benefits. Jinyoung and Mark liked the piano recitals. Youngjae was never one to ask for much and he usually was always declared to be the best and it made both of them so proud.

 

However ,Jaebum, Jackson, BamBam, and Yugyeom never went to a piano recital before. None of the children were enrolled in any type of extra-curricular activity in some academy that would require actually attending a recital. For all the charms of house music and fencing, none of them were on the same level of Seoul's most prestigious student piano recitals. And even then, this was the Im family who specialized in being loud and proud of who they were.

 

Case in point, Jackson and Yugyeom were both carrying large posters. Jackson's poster read 'You Go Youngjae! Your Big Bro Is So Proud Of You' in English. It was very flashy. On the other hand, Yugyeom's poster was less flashy but still more over-the-top than anything the academy had ever seen, reading in Korean 'My brother is the best'. BamBam was wearing a shirt with Youngjae's face on it in the middle and 'Go' above the picture and 'Youngjae' below it.

 

“We always do things like this. It's a family tradition. We wanted to make sure Youngjae got the full experience. This is the first time we're going to something of his since you joined the family.” Jaebum said sitting down. He was dressed normally and wasn't carrying any signs.

 

“Don't even worry about my shirt. I know the event is meant to be formal and everyone's dressed the part but with one simple trick, I can be too.” BamBam said. Out of what seemed to be thin air, he took out a blazer and put it on.

 

“No, seriously, where are you getting these blazers?” Jaebum asked.

 

Jackson had already gotten comfortable in his seat. “Yeah Youngjae! You go! Be the best piano player out there!” He turned to the rest of the family. “I think I'm more nervous than when I'm at my fencing matches.”

 

Jinyoung and Mark looked at each other as they felt every other person in the audience staring at them and the new additions they brought into the academy's events.

 

When the recital began and Youngjae appeared on stage, there was an even bigger commotion. Jaebum, Jackson, BamBam, and Yugyeom all stood up and cheered, displaying their posters and T-shirt. Youngjae stopped in the middle of his walk towards the piano, noticed them, and gave a nervous smile and bow to everyone in the audience before sitting down.

 

If Youngjae had any nervousness about playing or if seeing his new family members threw him off guard in any way, he certainly didn't show it. He played beautifully, Jinyoung and Mark were already used to it, having heard Youngjae play and practice for as long as they could remember, but the Im's on the other hand were in a state of shock. They knew Youngjae could play, but they didn't know he could play to this level.

 

They cheered loudly again as Youngjae got up and began to leave the stage, causing Youngjae once again to stop in the middle of his walk, nervously smile, and bow to the audience before leaving. At the end, all of the piano recital academy students stood up on stage as their teacher began to talk.

 

“All of the students improve and get better with each year but I have to say, there is one student that never fails to impress me with how talented he is. Choi-Park Youngjae, once again this year, you have won our prize for best performance.” The teacher said handing the trophy over to Youngjae.

 

Jaebum was the first to stand up. “That's my step-son!”

 

BamBam followed suit. “And that's my step-brother!” Jackson and Yugyeom soon stood up and repeated the words.

 

Jinyoung and Mark knew that there was no other choice but to join in with them. “That's my son!” Jinyoung said, standing up and clapping.

 

“That's my brother.” Mark said, also standing up.

 

“And that's my nephew!” A voice said from the back.

 

The Im-Park family turned around. “Uncle JYP?” they said in unison.

 

There was Uncle JYP standing a few rows behind them, dressed in a casual suit. “Hey! I wanted to do a surprise for Youngjae.” The rest of the auditorium was now staring at him. “Can't an uncle show how much he cares about his nephew?”

 

Youngjae was bright red up on the stage. A part of him wished he was wearing something other than a suit, something he could use to hide while the great majority of him was happy that he had a family that cared so much.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this chapter is a bit shorter than usual but I really wanted to write this one and anything I tried adding on only took away from the main point of the chapter. I can already promise you though,  that the next chapter is going to be a bit of a long one.

<3 Smooches <3