Intro to Bad Parenting

I Got Yours, Mine, and Ours

Jinyoung had been invited by Key and Kyungsoo to go hang out at a bar. Apparently it was Kyungsoo's idea. This was quite frankly frightened Jinyoung. Since when was Kyungsoo interested in leaving his house? Or having some time with friends? The only time Jinyoung ever saw him was when Kyungsoo was in articles about him in Paris, London, Milan, or Tokyo carrying shopping bags full of black clothing and cooking supplies all courtesy of Joonmyeon's black credit card. Jinyoung figured that Kyungsoo was changing. It could happen.

 

The bar was simple and plain, all brown and soft lighting, but it was a celebrity favorite so all the drinks and snacks were expensive and to be quite honest, worth it. It was also the only type of bar Kyungsoo would frequent. The place was mostly empty, after all it was a weekday, and Key was sitting alone at the bar on his phone. Jinyoung took the seat next to him.

 

“Hello Key-hyung. How are things going?” Jinyoung asked.

 

“They're going good.” Key placed his cell-phone down on the bar. “Just thinking of some new ideas for the upcoming fashion season.”

 

“I'm sure they're going to be great. Do you have any idea why Kyungsoo-hyung called us here?”


“I don't know but he seemed oddly happy during these days. I ran into him at the grocery store and he was smiling to everyone. He was even wearing gray.”

 

“Was it a dark gray or a light gray?” Jinyoung asked.

 

“It was light gray! Do you think something happened? I mean, something has had to obviously happen but what could it be? Did Joonmyeon-hyung rise up in the rankings of richest men in Korea?”

 

“I don't think so. It has to be something else. Do you know if Kyungsoo-hyung has any hobbies?”

 

“Not that I know of. I remember back in the early days when it was first announced that Joonmyeon-hyung was getting married to Kyungsoo, a magazine did an interview and Kyungsoo said that his hobby was cooking but he spent so much of his life being a househusband that I don't think cooking can be his hobby anymore.”

 

Speak of the devil, Kyungsoo arrived. He opened the door with a flourish and sat down at the bar promptly ordering a shot of tequila. He downed the shot and began his conversation with Key and Jinyoung. “Hello, I have great news to share!” Kyungsoo was all smiles.

 

“What is it? I've been going crazy the past three days trying to figure it out!” Key exclaimed.

 

“Baekhyun is moving out!” Kyungsoo said with the happiest tone Jinyoung ever heard him speak with. “Bartender, can I get a whiskey on the rocks?” The bartender nodded and got to work on Kyungsoo's drink.

 

“But how is he moving out? I thought none of your children moved out?” Jinyoung asked.

 

Kyungsoo's smile faded. “They don't. Nothing can get them to leave that house. Well, almost nothing. There is one thing that is guaranteed to make any of your children leave the house. Baekhyun is getting married!” Kyungsoo's smile returned at the prospect that one of his children would be gone.

 

Jinyoung choked on a drink he didn't even have. He wondered how Key didn't have his drink go flying. “Who is Baekhyun marrying? I thought any son of Kim Joonmyeon and even the possibility of an engagement would get media attention.” Jinyoung wondered if something was going on in Seoul's water. Why was everyone getting married? It was all shotgun marriages too, people eloping during European vacations or random Las Vegas whims.

 

“It's not really getting married. He has a blind date set up.” Kyungsoo explained.


“Yah, that's not even close to getting married.” Key said.


“Yes, it is because I'm the one who set it up.” Kyungsoo countered.

 

“Kyungsoo-hyung, that also doesn't mean it's a marriage. A lot of people are set up by their parents. Blind dating is the most common form of dating in Korea.”

 

Kyungsoo took out his cell-phone. “You guys don't understand. This blind date has to lead to marriage.” Kyungsoo swiped his cell-phone around until he clicked on an app and opened it. “This app here is exclusive to a marriage consulting firm I signed Baekhyun up for. With this app, it shows you the potential candidates and you can even set up further filters or remove filters that the firm has set up for you.”

 

“Isn't this basically an arranged marriage? And blind dates are going out of style lately. That and the fact that they've always been boring and there was nothing special or romantic about going on one. No one goes on blind dates anymore. Soon, Koreans will be meeting their boyfriends and girlfriends the same way the rest of the world does.” Key said.

 

“But Key-hyung,” Jinyoung began. “Didn't you and Onew-hyung meet during a blind date?”

 

Key turned red. “I don't know what you're talking about.”

 

Kyungsoo tried (and failed) at hiding a wicked grin. “The love story of you and Onew-hyung. He was a year into his debut as the newest weatherman in Korea and you were building up a name for yourself in the fashion scene. You shared a mutual actor friend who set the both of you up and you go for coffee and end up in love.”

 

Key was flustered. “That's not true. Yes, we met when Onew was just starting his career and I was gaining more fame and yes we had a friend in common but it wasn't a blind date. I walked inside a coffee shop and there he was. Do you really think I'm the type to go on something as plain as a blind date?”

 

Jinyoung frowned. In every interview ever given by Onew or the mutual actor friend of there's, it was always the story of a blind date. Even Key during the very first interview about his relationship said it was a blind date.

 

“Either way, Baekhyun will be on a blind date that will lead to marriage and then he'll get married and be out of my house.”

 

“Don't take marriage as a sign that he'll be leaving. Taemin got married and now he lives there along with Heidi and Jojo. I swear, they'll never leave the house. The first time Taemin decided to wander off and travel the world or whatever alone, I should have converted his room into something. Jinki's the one who got emotional and said we should leave all of their rooms untouched.”

 

Key did bring up a good point. Would Jackson be leaving the house? Shinyoung was Korean and lived in Korea and had her own apartment. It wasn't like she was some foreigner that had no idea how Korea worked. It would make sense for Jackson to move out and be with here. Especially if they had already told the press and everyone else in Korea that they had gotten married. Married couples live with each other.

 

“Who's the date you have set up for Baekhyun?” Jinyoung asked.

 

“I don't know.” Kyungsoo shrugged. He had already finished his whiskey and called the bartender over. “Bring me a Jack and Coke.” Kyungsoo turned back to Key and Jinyoung. “All I know is that they're a food critic and come from a good family. Not as good as a family as Joonmyeon's but a good family nonetheless.”

 

“Do you know their name or age?” Jinyoung asked.

 

“No. I opened up the app and all I saw was food critic and comes from a good family. Baekhyun's the cashier at the music section of a department store and didn't even go to a single form of higher education. This is the best he is going to get without resorting to using his family name.”


“Did you pick the first one that appeared on the screen?” Jinyoung knew that Kyungsoo had a reputation for being a somewhat alternative father but wasn't this taking things too far?

 

“Yes but I had applied all the necessary filters. I'm sure whoever this food critic is, they'll be a good person for Baekhyun. I'm sure they'll be good-looking and even if they aren't, I didn't raise Baekhyun to be shallow. If they have a bad personality, Baekhyun has good sense. I'm not heartless. I'm not going to just give Baekhyun away to the first person that shows interest. I want him to find somebody nice. I'm doing what all the other parents in Korea are doing, giving their kids gentle nudges to the romantic side of life.”

 

“Better than having to take German classes twice a week.” Key said before downing the rest of his drink.

 

And in that moment, Jinyoung vowed to be nicest man in the world to Shinyoung, the noona with the cute dog that Mark met in the park, BamBam's girl group of the week, Youngjae's hidden Suzy poster collection, and any European princesses Yugyeom would be forced to marry.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Guys!

I have a few chapter ideas planned out espcially since we're getting closer to the 1 year anniversary of this fanfic but I was wondering if there were any general things you wanted to see happen in this fanfic (i.e family vacation  a day in the life like we did with Mark's). I'm always open to suggestions or if you had any questions about this fanfic or things you're curious about, feel free to ask.

I also wonder if you'd be able to guess who Baekhun's blind date is...

<3 Smooches <3