The End of the Games

I Got Yours, Mine, and Ours

The 2014 Asian Games had ended and the Im-Park family booked a private dining room at an upscale restaurant in order to commemorate the end of a festive event and Jackson's bronze medal. The dinner in itself was pleasant, the food was delicious, and everyone talked about their favourite memories from the Games and how pleased they were with Jackson.

 

Jackson, however, was quiet for most of dinner. He sat in between Shinyoung and BamBam, but didn't speak unless directly spoken to. He ate his food in silence and took long, frequent sips of his water. Near the end of dinner, he excused himself to go to the bathroom.

 

“What's wrong with Jackson-hyung?” BamBam asked as soon as Jackson left the table. “Being quiet, isn't like him.”

 

“Is he tired? Not getting eight hours of sleep can mess up your brain functions and your mood. The Games have put a lot of stress on him that he normally doesn't carry.” Jinyoung said.

 

“I'll go check on him.” Shinyoung said. She placed her napkin on the table and walked towards the bathrooms.

 

She didn't find Jackson in the bathroom but instead, in an empty room near the private dining room. The room had a bar, complete with bar stools and liquor bottles on the shelf and plenty of space to walk around. It was another room, meant for cocktail parties and Jackson sat on a bar stool with the same grim expression that he had on at the table.

 

“Jackson? Are you OK?” Shinyoung asked walking over to him.

 

Jackson had only looked up when he had heard her voice and she was all ready sitting on the bar stool next to his. She turned her body so she was facing him directly. “Noona, what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be eating dinner?”

 

“The dinner is held in your honour, it's hard to eat when the main star isn't there. Are you OK?”

 

“Yeah, I'm fine. I just. I just can't stop thinking about the Games. I feel like I failed.”
 

Shinyoung placed her hand on Jackson's arm. “Don't say that. You didn't fail. You got a medal.”

 

“A bronze one. Hong Kong didn't even make it in the top 10 for combined medals.”

 

“There are 45 countries, top 10 is a very small number. But be proud of your bronze medal. Plenty of other fencers or teams didn't even get that.”

 

“Minho-hyung got a gold medal. Tao-hyung got a gold medal. The only child of a gay celebrity that didn't win a gold medal was me.”

 

“Minho got that gold medal for football. Last time I checked, football was a team sport. The South Korea men's football team got that gold medal. Minho happened to be a part of that. Yes, Tao did get a gold medal but Luhan didn't. So you're not the only one that didn't. At least you don't have to deal with how awkward it must be at the Wu's right now, having one son win gold while the other didn't even come close to bronze.”

 

“I wanted to make them proud. It was the first time Mark-hyung, Youngjae, and Mom got to see me fence. I wanted to win gold. Plus, you were there. You had both of the fansigns and you had your cheerleading pom-pom's.” A small smile crept onto Jackson's face.

 

“I did that for you. No one else on the Hong Kong fencing squad had that. Looks like, we won't be getting married.”

 

“If I had gotten silver at least we could have gotten engaged.”

 

“Jackson, what on Earth are you talking about? How can someone get engaged but not married?”

 

“People get engaged and stay engaged for three, four years. You can get married pretty fast. If I had gotten silver, we would have gotten engaged but didn't have to be in a rush to plan our wedding. If I got gold, we would have needed to plan our wedding in six to eight months.”

 

“If you get gold in Rio 2016, I'll marry you immediately. I'll storm the stadium and have a wedding officiant with me during the match.” Shinyoung said.

 

“And you got bronze, so we get to spend more time dating.”
 

“Actually, my plan for winning a bronze medal is us having kids.”

“Jackson! How is having kids worth a bronze medal but getting married is gold?” Shinyoung knew she should have gotten used to Jackson by now.

 

“You don't need to be married or engaged to have kids! You don't even need to be dating to have kids. Look at Taemin-hyung! He knew his baby mama for the most two days before she got pregnant.”

 

“Jackson, you're really the only person who can think of stuff like this. I should have seen something like this coming. Especially after you mentioned Hazel and Joseph.”

 

“I had this image in my head. It sort of matches the situation that we're in right now. We would be alone and you would come up to me and say “Jackson, I have something to say.” And I would look at you giving you a sign to continue. You would say. “Jackson, I'm pregnant, I've already taken the test, we're having a baby.” I would smile and kiss you. We would hug, I might cry. I wouldn't be able to stop looking at you, thanking you, and nine months later we have Hazel or Joseph.”

 

“You really do have everything planned out.”


“Do you want to try the scenario out?”

 

Shinyoung sighed. “Alright.”

 

BamBam was walking to the bathroom when he saw Shinyoung and Jackson in an empty room. He stopped curious to see what was happening.

 

Both Shinyoung and Jackson were standing, Shinyoung seemed as if she had something to say.


“Jackson, I have something to say.” BamBam was even more curious and took extra care to not get caught. Jackson gave Shinyoung a look, encouraging her to go on. “Jackson, I'm pregnant. I've already taken the test, we're having a baby.” BamBam felt his eyes go wide and his jaw drop. No, no. Jackson and Shinyoung couldn't be parents. This was all too much. BamBam wasn't ready to be an uncle. Hazel or Joseph was going to be born out of wedlock.

 

Jackson, looked like he was alright with it. He smiled and bend down placing his hands behind Shinyoung's neck and kissing her. They broke apart and he hugged her. BamBam wasn't close enough, but he swore he could see what looked like tears about to spill from Jackson's eyes.

 

“Thank you so much. Thank you. I love you.” Jackson said, repeating the words.

 

BamBam went to the bathroom in a daze, he couldn't handle seeing it anymore. The whole scene was too personal. He walked out of the bathroom and back to the dining room.

 

“Did you see Jackson and Shinyoung? Did they leave?” Jinyoung asked.


“No.” BamBam said weakly.


“Then what happened?” Jinyoung asked again.

 

“Imagine the worst possible thing that could happen right now to Jackson-hyung and Shinyoung-noona.” BamBam said.

 

“They broke up? But I thought Jackson was so serious about her. I thought she was The One.” Jaebum said. It didn't matter if she was the one who called it off or if it was Jackson. Either way, Jaebum and the family was going to have to deal with an emotional and heart-broken Jackson. There was no way Jackson would get over it. He already got so depressed when he broke up with any of his other girlfriends, this time it would kill him.

 

“No. Not a break-up. The other worst thing that could happen.”

 

“No.” Everyone repeated. If it wasn't for the seriousness of the situation, one might find funny how everyone harmonized their no's.

 

“No. This can't happen. I'm too young to be a grandfather. I'm not ready to be a grandfather.” Jaebum. “Why didn't Jackson practice safe ?”

 

“Depending on the baby's gender or ual orientation do you think we could set them up with Uncle Kibum and Uncle Jinki's baby?” Yugyeom asked.

 

“Think about it like this, Caramel Macchiato. We're the second couple in our circle of friends to become grandparents. Yoongi-hyung and Jin-hyung are the only ones that have a son that is married but they don't have a grandchild.” Jinyoung said wrapping an arm around Jaebum's shoulder.

 

“Do you think Jackson-hyung will try to propose? Is he going to spend the rest of his life as Shinyoung-noona's househusband?” Youngjae asked.

 

“Knowing Jackson, that's probably his dream job. I can't believe he's all grown-up. I can't believe my baby's going to leave me.” Jaebum felt his eyes water.

 

“Dad, you're seriously not going to cry right? The baby's going to be born in eight more months, don't start crying now. We still have time left with Jackson-hyung. We don't even know if he's going to be living with Shinyoung-noona.” Yugyeom tried to comfort Jaebum.

 

“If it makes you feel better, I'm still going to be living at home and doing nothing.” Mark said.

 

“See,” Jinyoung began. “We still have Mark. We can count on Mark not getting a girl pregnant.”

 

Jackson and Shinyoung came back to the dining room. Jackson now had a smile on his face as they sat down again.

 

The rest of the family stared at them in silence. “Where's the dessert menu?” Jackson asked.

 

Jaebum silently handed him the dessert menu from across the table.

 

“Why is everyone so quiet?” Shinyoung asked.


“We know.” Jinyoung said.

 

“Know what?” Jackson asked.

 

“We know what's going on between you and Shinyoung.” Jinyoung said.

 

“We did tell you that we were dating. You can also look up articles online about it.” Jackson said.

 

“We know that Shinyoung is pregnant.” Jaebum said. “Don't play dumb Jackson.”

“Wait, you're actually pregnant?” Jackson turned to Shinyoung. “Noona, is this real? Are we actually going to have a baby?”

 

“No! I'm not pregnant!” Shinyoung said. “Where did everyone get that idea? Why does this family always think I'm pregnant!”

 

“If you're not pregnant, then how come you told Jackson-hyung you were?” BamBam asked.

 

“You saw that? Jackson wanted as a prize for winning the bronze medal, us to have a kid together. If he won gold we would have gotten married and if he won silver we would have gotten engaged.”

 

“That was my dream scenario of how Candy would have told me about her pregnancy.” Jackson explained. “And I have something else to say. The reason why I was quiet earlier is because I was scared that you were disappointed in me.”

 

“Disappointed in you for what?” Jinyoung asked.

 

“Because I only got a bronze medal and Hong Kong wasn't even in the top.”

 

Jaebum walked over and hugged Jackson. “Don't say things like that. This whole family is proud of you. You won a medal and that isn't easy to do. Even if you hadn't won a medal, we still would be here celebrating.”
 

“I think this calls for a group hug.” Mark said walking over to Jackson and joining in on the hug. Soon, the rest of the family was hugging their medalist.

 

The next morning Jinyoung and Jaebum were cuddling in bed.

 

“I still can't believe we thought Jackson had gotten Shinyoung pregnant.” Jinyoung said as Jaebum ran his fingers through Jinyoung's hair.

 

“That was a scare, wasn't it? Is it bad how glad I am that they're not having a baby together?”

 

“No. You should have seen yourself last night, you were almost crying. Talking about your baby leaving.” Jinyoung teased.

 

“Yah! Any father would have done the same.”

 

“They would. But I'm glad we can enjoy our married life for a bit more without having a grandchild.”

 

“You can say that again. We're not going to be grandparents for a long time.” Jaebum kissed the top of Jinyoung's nose.

 

“We just jinxed ourselves didn't we?” Jinyoung asked.

 

“Completely and totally.” Jaebum answered.

 

Jackson's ring-tone could be heard throughout the second floor. It quickly stopped ringing and soon the door to Jackson's room was opened and slam shut and Jackson was racing down the hallway.


“Jackson, where are you going?” Jaebum asked through the closed doors of his bedroom.

 

“I'm going over to Noona's house. We're having a date and I almost forgot about it until she reminded me. Don't worry, I don't think I'll spend all day there.” Jackson's voice sounded nervous and on edge. Jaebum and Jinyoung could hear him flying down the stairs.

 

“Totally jinxed ourselves.” Jinyoung said with a shake of his head.