A (somewhat) pleasant dinner

I Got Yours, Mine, and Ours

The restaurant was a very nice one, expensive and serving Italian food in a classy setting that demanded good manners and quietness. Of course, this was not something the Im family specialized in. By the time the Parks had arrived, their table had already attracted the attention of everyone else in the restaurant.

 

They set their orders and sat in silence before Jinyoung took a sip of his wine and spoke up. “Why don't we all get to know each other more who's-”

 

He was cut off by Jackson. “Where are we going to live? Are we moving in with you? Or are you moving in with us? Because no offense but Dad has a bachelor pad.”

 

“It's not a bachelor pad!” Jaebum whined. “Four people live there! It has four rooms! A bachelor pad is made for one, two at the most!”

 

“Both of us are going to be moving. We bought a house big enough for all of us, tonight will be the last night any of us will be spending in our old homes before moving. I have taken great care to make sure the house is nicely decorated and will be clean. Now back to what I was saying. Who here is the oldest? Mark is the oldest of my children.” Jinyoung said.

 

“I'm the oldest kid but Mark is my hyung. We went to high school together, he graduated the year before me.” Jackson said.

 

Jinyoung seemed pleased with this. “And what to you do Jackson? Are you in school? Do you have a job?”

 

“He dates middle-aged women.” BamBam said.

 

Jinyoung, Mark, and Youngjae all seemed alarmed by this. “What?” Youngjae said, his voice lowering into a whisper.

 

Jaebum laughed, a bit more nervous than usual. “Jackson isn't in school right now nor does he have a job. The thing about middle-aged women. It's a family joke, Jackson only has dated older women in the past but it doesn't mean anything.”

 

“He moved out once to go live with his 50-year old girlfriend.” Yugyeom said.

 

“Hey!” Jackson was deeply offended. “She wasn't 50! She was 49 and a half! She's not even my girlfriend anymore. We broke up five months ago.”

 

Jinyoung took this as a chance to move on. “Youngjae is my maknae. Who's yours?”

 

“I am.” Yugyeom spoke up. “Youngjae-hyung goes to my school. He's a grade above me.”

 

“Forever the maknae.” BamBam said with a tsk.


“Where do you go to school BamBam? Is BamBam your real name?” Jinyoung furrowed his brow.

 

“I go to Mark-hyung and Jackson-hyung's old school. BamBam isn't my real name. It's just a nickname but everyone calls me that. Hearing my real name sounds weird now.”

 

The food arrived and everyone began to eat. Jaebum spoke up. “Mark, since you're the eldest where do you go to university? Or are you working somewhere?”

 

Mark turned bright red and became flustered at this. “Well, um, you see, the thing is.”

 

“He doesn't go to university or have a job.” Jinyoung said matter-of-factually.

 

“Whoo! Hyung, we're twinning!” Jackson said leaning over to give Mark a high-five.

 

“Wow, Jinyoung, I thought for sure you would have your kids hitting the books and going off to your alma mater.” Jaebum said. He couldn't believe it. Jinyoung's children might actually had a chance to not spend their life in the library.

 

“I'm not bothered by it. Mark is an adult and if he wants to go to university than that option is always going to be available to him. Either way I am always going to be proud of him.” Jinyoung said with a smile directed at Mark.


“See Dad? Why can't you be more like that?” Jackson asked Jaebum directly.

 

I support you plenty! You told me you didn't want to go to university and I was alright with that! I let you bring over women old enough to be my mom to the house. And don't act like you don't have a job. Aren't you going to tell your new family about fencing?”

 

“You fence?” Jinyoung asked.

 

“Yeah, I'm pretty good at it.”


“Pretty good? Jackson-hyung represents Hong Kong in international championships!” Yugyeom said with brotherly pride.

 

Jinyoung, Mark, and Youngjae all put their forks down and began to clap.

 

“Um, Jinyoung-hyung? Jinyoung-dad?” Jackson began, the “dad” in English. “What should we call you?”

 

“Mom.” Mark said quietly in English, his voice partially obscured by the wine he was drinking


“Mom?” Jaebum, Jackson, BamBam, and even Yugyeom said at the same time. Jinyoung had to admit, he was impressed by the family harmony.

 

“Mark! We're not going to talk about that.” Jinyoung said.

 

Mark set down his wine glass. “One time, when I was sixteen and Youngjae was thirteen, Dad got a little drunk. More than a little drunk, he was having this rough time with this research thing and his new lab interns were all stupid and so he drank a bit. Me and Youngjae were in our rooms doing whatever when he tells us to go downstairs. In English. We go downstairs to the living room and Dad sits us down on his laps and says all in English; “I'm your Mom.” naturally me and Youngjae start to protest and he demands that we call him Mom. This still in English. We agree for the rest of the night. The next day we continue calling him Mom but he says to forget it. We sometimes still call him Mom when we want to embarrass him.”

 

Jinyoung took a larger than necessary sip of his wine. He loved hearing Mark talk, Mark was so quiet and still so unconfident in Korean that whenever he spoke Jinyoung wanted to call everyone over so he could show off his son. Unfortunately, the only times Mark spoke for a long period of time was to embarrass or insult someone.

 

“So I guess your mom then.” BamBam said.

 

“Hello Mom.” Yugyeom said in careful English before breaking out into a loud laugh.

 

Jinyoung sighed while everyone at the table broke out into laughter. As embarrassing as this moment was, he was glad that his children, both old and new, were getting along.