Home with Dad

I Got Yours, Mine, and Ours

“I'm just nervous about leaving you guys alone.” Jinyoung said.

 

“Don't worry the kids will be safe with me. They'll be in good care with their dad.” Jaebum said going over and taking Jinyoung in his arms pressing a kiss to his temple.

 

“The kids are all eighteen and older.” Jackson said. “This kid even has his own kid.” he pointed to himself. “Mom going away for three days isn't going to change anything.”

 

“All the kids are eighteen and older but all of you still live at home with no plans of moving out.” Jinyoung sighed.

 

“I'm going to move out when me and Candy finally get married!” Jackson said. “Once Yugyeom graduates from high school, it's gonna be like a ticking time bomb until he has to get married and move to Europe.”

 

Mark raised his hand and said. “I'm probably still going to be here.”

 

“We know you are Mark. We appreciate it.” Jaebum said.

 

“Is it Big Auntie or Little Auntie's that having the party?” Youngjae asked.

 

Jaebum stared at Jinyoung weirdly. “Those weren't the names of your sisters back in high school.”

 

“That's what Mark used to call them. Even after he got used to speaking actual Korean words he still messed up names. So using three words he knew very well in Korean he called them Big Auntie and Little Auntie. It's stuck ever since, even now when Big Auntie is determined to throw an engagement party for our middle school friends.” Jinyoung pulled out the handle of his suitcase and walked out of the kitchen and to the front door the rest of the family trailing behind him.

 

“You better be good. Don't do anything stupid just because I'm not around.” Jaebum said before kissing Jinyoung chastely on the lips.

 

“I need to say that to you. Don't make too much of a mess and try not cry in front of the kids because of how much you miss me.” Jinyoung said giving another quick kiss to Jaebum.

 

Jinyoung kissed the top of everyone's head, even making Yugyeom bow a little, before looking into all of their eyes as he spoke. “Now, I need you all to be good. Don't do anything that you wouldn't do with me here.” Jinyoung opened the door and stepped outside where a taxi was already waiting. “I need to go before I miss my train. I love you all so much. Be safe.”

 

They all waved before Jaebum shut the door. “Alright kids. Mom's gone. What should we do?” he snapped his fingers. “I know. Let's run this household for the next three days the same way I used to run mine back as a single dad.”

 

Jackson, BamBam, and Yugyeom all high-fived each other while Youngjae and Mark stared.

 

“Youngjae and Mark you've never experienced this but Jackson, BamBam, and Yugyeom can tell you all about it. My motto is as long as you don't die or get hurt, anything and everything is fine.”

 

“Isn't that a little too casual? Just saying as long as no one is dead or hurt everything is fine?” Youngjae asked.

 

“Dying and getting hurt are the two things that people generally want to avoid the most. Now come on, I know that Jinyoung put the takeout menus somewhere in this house. You guys need to help me look.” Jaebum said.

 

They entered Jinyoung and Jaebum's bedroom and from underneath the bed Jaebum pulled out a rectangular box with a floral design on it. “This is a box I got to put random things, which for the main part included the menus that we used to have at home. I love Mine and he's right about the health and cost benefits of eating at home but let's not act like he didn't eat instant ramen almost everyday back in high school.”

 

“Whoa, Mom eating instant ramen? I can't picture that at all.” Yugyeom said.

 

“He ate it at home too. Mostly when he was playing video games but occasionally when he got home late because of research or finals week. He makes pretty good instant ramen.” Mark said.

 

Jaebum had removed the lid of the box and was holding menus in his hand. “Ah, what do you guys feel like today? Pizza? Chicken? McDonald's? What about Korean food?”

 

“We should get breakfast for dinner.” Jackson said.

 

“You can get breakfast delivered?” Youngjae raised his eyebrows.

 

“This is South Korea, you can get almost any food delivered. You know that.” Jackson said.


“I know but who actually gets breakfast delivered to them?” Youngjae asked.

 

“We did.” BamBam said. “It was from this American restaurant. They made really good iced lattes that never spilled on the journey to our apartment and amazing crêpes. I don't know if they'll deliver to this address.” BamBam was wistful.

 

“I still dream about their Nutella ones.” Yugyeom said.

 

“They still deliver to here. It may cost more but they told me they deliver when I said we were moving.” Jaebum said. “Do you guys still want your usuals?”

 

Jackson, BamBam, and Yugyeom all nodded.

 

Jaebum handed a menu to Mark and Youngjae. “Here you two, go and look at the menu to see which ones you want.”

 

“Can I get chocolate chip pancakes?” Youngjae asked.


“Sure.” Jaebum said taking his phone out of the pocket of his sweatpants.

 

“I'll take an apple and cheddar cheese crêpe.” Mark said handing the menu back to Jaebum.

 

“Great, it feels like the good old times.” Jaebum said with a smile putting the menus back in the box.

 

“Yeah, when Dad couldn't find a date so he would make us watch classic movies with him.” BamBam snorted.

 

“You mean you didn't like Breakfast at Tiffany's? Everyone likes Breakfast at Tiffany's!” Jaebum said. “What about Roman Holiday? You even told me you liked Roman Holiday.”

 

“I really did like Roman Holiday. And Breakfast at Tiffany's was alright.” BamBam said.

 

“Did you really not be able to find a date?” Youngjae asked.

 

“You know it was hard dating when you have kids. Even if more so, when you're a celebrity. I wanted to focus on raising Jackson, BamBam, and Yugyeom.”

 

“Then what about all the times you left us money for pizza and directions for Jackson-hyung not to burn the flat down? There were a lot more people willing to date you then you thought Dad. It was just that none of them were Jinyoung-Mom.” Yugyeom said.

 

“We get where you're coming from. Mom didn't exactly go on too many dates himself. He mostly was at work all the time and when he got home he had papers to grade and research that needed to be done. If he did go on dates and had a love life then we probably would have never gotten to see him at all. He wanted us to have a family life and if not getting a date meant that he could come home and make dinner with us that was a chance he was willing to take. I also don't think Mom got a lot of dates in the first place.” Mark said.

 

“Wow, so that's what true responsible single parenting looks like.” BamBam said.

 

Jaebum chose to ignore BamBam's comment. “Mark, Jinyoung had plenty of offers to go on dates. Jinyoung will never lack a date offer in his life. As soon as they see his be-” Jaebum paused already noticing Youngjae and Mark's horrified expressions as their brains filled in the sentence. “You know what, I'm not going to say anything. Jinyoung is an attractive man that is very intelligent and well-read. He was single because he knew he couldn't have had it all. I'm sure he did share his tips with you two.”

 

Mark and Youngjae looked at each other before shaking their heads. “We didn't get asked out much either.” Mark started explaining. “I never had an interest in asking anyone out. I'm hetero-romantic aual, the girls are the one asking me out.”

 

“How did you and Noona even start talking?” Yugyeom asked.

 

“Haven't I told this story before? I was at the park and I saw Youngsoon who I just thought was the cutest dog in the world. Without even looking at the owner, I just bend down and asked if I could pet Youngsoon. It was only until I already had Youngsoon in my arms that I looked at Noona and realized she was pretty. Then she did most of the talking.”

 

Youngjae was nodding his head. “It was almost the same thing with Angel. She caught me looking at her tattoos and thought that I wanted a fight. But I never did any of the asking out. I did flirt but who wanted to go beyond that point for sure was Angel. I obviously didn't say no.”

 

“That's so unfair. Do you know how hard I had to work to make Candy realize that I wanted to date her? I had to work so hard to get her to see that I wasn't joking around. You two didn't even have to try.” Jackson said.

 

“I guess in a way Jinyoung really did teach you both his tricks.” Jaebum said.

 

 

***
The second day of Jaebum running the household went as good as the first. He didn't care if anyone wanted their significant others over, just as long as they told him beforehand. Yugyeom woke up fifteen minutes late for his dance class and Jaebum didn't even bat an eyelash, just handed him extra money for a taxi and coffee. Of course, not everyone thought this was a good idea.


“I know this may not be my place to say it but are you comfortable on the floor Mr. Im?” Mark's girlfriend asked. She and Mark were doing the same thing they always did whenever she went over, watching TV with Mark sitting on her lap like he had always belonged there.

 

“I'm totally fine. I used to do this all the time.” Jaebum was just casually lying on the floor wearing lounge clothes and scrolling through his phone.

 

“Here's your glass of orange juice.” Jongmin said coming into the TV room. Jaebum sat up and took the orange juice from Jongmin's hands. “I know, I just got here but did something happen?”

 

“Apparently this is normal behaviour.” Mark's girlfriend said.

 

“You're probably right Noona. When I walked in I saw Jackson-hyung trying to teach Joseph how to speak and Shinyoung-noona kept going on about how he was too young but Jackson-hyung didn't care.” Jongmin said.

 

“What about Angel?” Jaebum spoke up. “When she got here, I opened the door and there she was carrying two ginormous bags in each hand filled with soy-free, gluten-free, nut-free, and dairy-free vegan ice cream. I've never seen Youngjae so happy before. They went up to his room and are probably eating it all while watching TV.”

 

“You let Angel and Youngjae stay together alone in his room but won't let me and BamBam?” Jongmin said thinking he was talking to himself in a much quieter tone.

 

“Because I think if I said no to Angel about something it would be the last thing I do. Also, I'm Youngjae's step-dad, I have to try and be a little bit cooler and lenient with him than I do with the kids I've raised for almost their whole life.”

 

“Why do you think he's so cool with Mark on my lap like this?” Mark's girlfriend said. Mark did look pretty content and was napping with his head on the crook of his girlfriend's shoulder.

 

“Isn't Angel scared of you?” Jongmin asked.

 

“Me and Angel are mutually scared of each other.” Mark's girlfriend replied.

 

“That seems idyllic.” Jongmin said before going back to the kitchen where BamBam was.


“I don't want you and BamBam going upstairs! Make sure someone can always see you two!” Jaebum called out.

 

“Dad!”BamBam whined from the kitchen.

 

***

 

Jinyoung arrived refreshed. It was nice to see his family again and all his old middle school friends, even after getting married and having children there was something about home that turned you into a child again.

 

“I'm home.” Jinyoung called out. He took off his shoes and walked into the kitchen. Jaebum was lying on the floor while Jackson and Yugyeom were eating potato chips. “What is going on here?”

 

Jackson began to speak.“Youngjae is upstairs with Angel. BamBam is on a date with Jongmin.” Jackson's face darkened as he said this. “And Mark went over to the noona he met at the park's house.”

 

“And why are you on the floor Caramel Macchiato?” Jinyoung walked over to Jaebum and stared down at him.

 

“He's right. You should have done something romantic to welcome Jinyoung-Mom home, Dad.” Yugyeom said.

 

“Hey, this is already more romantic than how Jang Dongwoo proposed to Kim Sunggyu! I'm patiently waiting for my husband to come home. I just want to be comfortable doing it.” Jaebum said.

 

“Caramel Macchiato, let's not compare ourselves to other couples. And Jang Dongwoo's proposal was romantic. In a way. In a Jang Dongwoo way.”

 

Jaebum got up from the floor and kissed Jinyoung squarely on the mouth. “I'm glad to have you back. I'm going to miss you when I fly next week to Saipan for filming.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello !

If any of you read my blog, I made it home safely. So here is the start of the updates! And yes the next chapter will be the "kids" home alone with Jinyoung. I already started working on it but it won't be uploaded this weekend. Definitely before Thursday next week though. I missed you guys!

<3 Smooches <3