Crépuscule (Dusk)

A Twisted Tale of Bloodlines II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The mountains were filled with an eerie silence as four weary travelers, on horseback, traversed through the mountain pass, finding a castle with a thriving village in the distance.

 

One of the four turned to their other three companions, momentarily removing the scarf covering half their face from the cold. “I think we found what we have been looking for.” They spoke in foreign ancient tongue not native to the area. Almond yet sharp eyes eyed each hooded person of the small group before they shifted their gaze to the castle standing on top of a mountain in the far south from where they were.

 

“We need rest, my lord. Our horses are weary for having braved the merciless winter from the ports of Bulgaria to the haunting villages of Budapest.” One of the three voiced.

 

The supposed leader remained mum, mulling over their situation when another companion spoke up. “She is right, my lord. We need our strength should we wish to engage in negotiations with them.”

 

The leader turned to the one who had succumbed to silence, “And you? What say you?”

 

“My lord, I stand by the other two. We need to replenish our energy from this long journey. The castle will be there till morn and in the days to come. I believe its inhabitants will remain as well. We have traveled far, fought through adversities and we are now finally here. We need to be able to fend for ourselves should the need to fight rise.” The leader nodded in reply, turning towards the castle with a frown before reining their steed to turn the other way.

 

As the dusk began to loom over the land, a wolf’s howl echoed in the forest. The travelers have set up camp in a small clearing, the presence of a fire absent from their midst. Mists came off their faces with every breath as they prepared for a night’s rest. Nobody seemed to be bothered by the cold nor the lack of food and drink as they went about on their sleeping mats in the middle of camp while their horses were tethered at the nearby tree.

 

A wolf circled them as they went about sleeping in comfort without the watchful gaze of a guard. The animal stealthily gauged their relaxed forms, waiting for the opportune moment to strike. Nobody moved an inch in their slumber as the wolf rounded their camp. The beast decided to take the chance and pounced at the one closest to the trees.

 

The wolf was caught off guard mid-flight when a sword pierced through its heart. The animal’s intended victim was no victim at all. A grin welcomed the squirming beast’s widened eyes as it wasted its life away to the metal embedded in its heart.

 

“And you think you could have a taste of me?”

 

The other campers roused from their rest, the sight of a wolf stuck on their comrade’s sword welcomed them. A frown came upon the leader’s face, “You killed a wolf.”

 

The beast’s killer turned to their leader, “I did. Does it matter, my lord?”

 

The leader stood as the killer pulled the blade back from its dead sheath, “You killed a dweller of this forest.”

 

“It was going to take me for its meal. I am sure you would have done the same, my lord.” The killer unveiled their half-covered face, revealing feminine features – a girl.

 

The leader, also a female, looked at the now dead beast, “I would have kept it at bay and sent it on its way back to where it came from. This forest will take its revenge on you for killing its wolf.”

 

A wolf’s howl broke through their conversation, alerting the four riders. The leader turned to the wolf’s killer, “And now you have its pack running after us.”

 

The wolf’s killer stood rooted to her spot over the dead beast, “Blood begets blood, my Lord Qian. I apologize for bringing down trouble upon you. I shall stay here then to fend off the pack. You may go ahead and search for a new camp.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter