Distant

A Twisted Tale of Bloodlines II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Everyone wondered about the youngest Jung’s strange demeanor. Everyone noticed the distant look Soojung gave everyone as she went about her silent duties as the youngest heiress of the Vampire throne. Taeyeon and Sooyeon had named her their heiress, a burden placed upon her shoulders while the twins were childless.

 

And as heiress to the throne, Soojung resumed her princess duties of attending royal affairs with her older sisters and cousins, as well as looking into political matters of the recovering kingdom. The assault on Hyoyeon’s troops caught her sisters’ attention, but Soojung remained mum on the matter as everyone discussed it over the dinner table.

 

Her silence particularly disturbed the younger twin, Sooyeon, who cared for her the most out of the family. A hand clasped her own as Soojung stood listlessly at the terrace overlooking the kingdom. “Soojung,” Sooyeon came to her side, hand still holding her younger sibling, “Something is bothering you. Care to tell your sister?”

 

Soojung released a breath before turning to face her worried sister. “When I was in Summer’s realm, I saw the past and the power I did not notice. Then, Summer told me something about the season’s journey being similar to mine. She told me that I was not the only one blessed by two seasons, that there were others like me, equally lost and troubled as I am.”

 

Lips pressed against Soojung’s forehead, “You want to go on a journey, Soojung?” Sooyeon’s sapphire eyes bore into hers as her older sister pulled away. Soojung looked down to their feet, wondering about her choice. “I don’t know.” She finally managed to whisper.

 

“Then, think it through, my love.” Sooyeon wrapped her arms around the younger girl, “Just remember, that I will always be here to support the choice you make. Taeyeon may disagree but I will always stand by your side, Soojung.” Soojung reveled in her older sibling’s warmth, feeling Sooyeon press her lips on her crown once more.

 

“Soojung…”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“You will still be our heiress even when we would bear a child. Taeyeon and I had thought it through. You will be the Crown Princess no matter what happens.”

 

“But, unnie…”

 

“You will have your turn to rule the kingdom, Soojung. Your sister and I have made sure of that.”    

 

“What makes you so sure that I’ll accept?”

 

“You will, my love. You will when the time comes.”

 

+++

 

“You know what happens to those who look into other people’s minds.” Yuri’s voice shook Yoona from her reverie. Irises shifted from a blinded white to dark, deep crimson. Shaking her head to get herself reacquainted with reality, Yoona turns to come face to face with Yuri.

 

“I was looking into Juhyun’s mind.” Yoona told the older vampire. Yuri seemed perplexed, “You did drink from her, but know that it is a dangerous thing – what you’re doing. Juhyun, in turn, might notice your presence and look into your mind. Then, we will be found out.”

 

A slight laugh escaped Yoona’s lips, “That is why I have the beast masking me. She would not notice my presence but the wolf’s.”

 

Yuri frowned, “How long have you been in her mind?”

 

“Long enough to know that she sits at the table with the others,” Yoona grinned.

 

“Don’t stay in her mind for too long. You might lose your way back, Yoona. We almost lost our way when you tried it on me.”

 

“Don’t worry. I won’t risk such a thing again.”

 

“Anyway, news have spread that Sooyeon is back.”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Do you think she has changed?”

 

“Who knows?”

 

“Well, she has gone to the realm of the dead. Who knows what she experienced.”

 

Yoona furrowed her brows, “Juhyun’s thoughts tell me that she wasn’t the only one who had been gone. Her mind told me that Taeyeon-unnie and Soojung followed her. There was a memory of them appearing in the throne room and looking so different.”

 

“Hmm. Interesting. I wonder if they have grown stronger as we have.”

 

“Who knows?”

 

+++

 

Arm pulled back and fingers released the projectile. The arrow landed its mark a few yards away. Lowering her bow, Soonkyu smiled in satisfaction as she stared at her handiwork – a target decorated with her arrows.

 

“Are you going to be as good in fighting as well?” Hyoyeon’s voice broke her from her thoughts.

 

Turning, Soonkyu found her cousin leaning against two wooden poles she had stuck to the ground as the latter watched her expectantly. “Are you challenging me?” Soonkyu raised a brow as she put her bow down. Hyoyeon smiled, wordlessly tossing the other pole to her cousin before she turned away.

 

“Come on. We have the fighting pits to ourselves.” Hyoyeon said without turning back as she led the way to the sparring pits nearby. When they reached the area, the two had found that it was occupied by their cousins. Hyoyeon set her pole down as she watched from the supplied seats. Juhyun and Sooyoung were in the middle of the snow-covered mud pit as they tried besting one another.

 

Wooden snaps resounded throughout the camp as the two vampires attempt at overpowering each other. Juhyun crouched low, moving her stick from below. She moved forward as Sooyoung stepped back to avoid being hit. The taller vampire countered by moving her pole to restrain Juhyun’s stick and they were caught in a battle of strength. The poles clacked on impact when Juhyun overpowered the taller vampire’s force.

 

They instinctively stepped back, eyes sizing each other as they walked in circles. Sooyoung extended her hand and with it, the pole shot forward in a deadly . It struck Juhyun hard and the younger vampire teetered backwards, only stopping herself at the edge of the pit. Recovering from the blow, Juhyun lunged forward and managed to hit Sooyoung’s shoulder with her pole. The taller one trapped her stick with her own, immobilizing the younger girl.

 

And with a quick, fluid movement, Sooyoung landed a hard kick to her adversary, sending

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter