Conquering the Darkness (Hyoyeon-centric)

A Twisted Tale of Bloodlines II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It had been weeks since they have escaped the mansion. It had been weeks since they have found home in the forest. Winter had come to make things harder. Food became scarce as everything green disappeared and was replaced by white.

Hyoyeon realized that they needed more to survive. Eventually, they will be forced to travel again and the chances of meeting the enemy would be higher. As vampires, the cold and battering winter winds were a mere hindrance but not everyone in the group could stare the blustery weather in the eye. They all have limits to their special traits as vampires. They could fall ill and get injured. Immortality is but a vague conception that had been attached to their name as Hyoyeon had realized after witnessing Sunny’s despair.

No one is immortal though.

Hyoyeon is certain of that. Even vampires have their limitations despite their stretched life span and unearthly traits. They can still be overwhelmed by a lot of things.

Being a member of the Kim family was both a privilege and a burden. Hyoyeon was one of the strongest young vampires in the kingdom. She was brought up differently because her affinity was different from that of her family’s usual set of elements.

Among the eight royal vampire families, the Kims and Chois usually owned the deadlier elements, earth, teleportation, and time manipulation. The Kwons, being dubbed as the Black Family, owned the affinity of darkness and are often renowned for their speed while the Hwangs and the Lees are usually affiliated with the wind element. The Jungs often have ice and water at their disposal. The Ims are often masters of either water or earth. And the Seos are often associated with illusions and psychic manipulations.

Hyoyeon, along with her generation of royal family members, was an antithesis to the hereditary tradition. Majority of her cousins possessed powers that were different from that of their families hence, the difference in the upbringing of their generation.

In the Kim’s case, young Hyoyeon was always sent to the Kwons to train under Yuri’s cousin. She was molded into a swift melee fighter and has somehow inherited the Black Family’s techniques in shadow manipulation. But Hyoyeon took it to the next level as she grew up, honing her skills and pushing the frontiers of her unique affinity.

After hearing of Tiffany’s visions a couple of days ago, Hyoyeon was certain that everything rests on them now. Romania has fallen under the wolf’s claws and the vigilant Kim knew the royal family must have survived the ordeal, despite the possibilities of fatalities. She was hopeful despite the futility of it all. Hyoyeon knew that she and her cousins needed to be strong – for the vampire kingdom’s sake.

Knowing of one of the twins’ whereabouts worried her. Jessica, in France, according to the Hwang – that cannot be true, but Tiffany insisted on the fact. She had seen it in her visions. She even said that the middle Jung had changed drastically although Tiffany had failed to provide information about the eldest one.

Hyoyeon was worried.

Taeyeon used to be her sister, after all.

A hand appeared before her, awakening her from her reverie. It was Sooyoung.

Hyoyeon took the offered hand and pushed herself up.

“Our ancestor wants to speak with you.”

Hyoyeon followed the tall Choi as they made their way towards the white tiger resting beneath a tree. They passed by Juhyun and Krystal, who were setting up the wood for the fire. Then, there appeared from the bushes, Yoona and Yuri with deer on their shoulders. The two had just gotten back from their hunt, obviously. Sunny and Tiffany had been out in the woods, patrolling the area for signs of danger.

The Kim and the Choi now stood before their ancestor, who was in his animal form. The tiger stood on its hind legs and morphed into a man dressed in black apparel.

“Hyoyeon, I will be leaving you tonight. You will be on your own as I head back to our homeland to help in the war. I will need you to teleport me back to the mansion, where I will begin my journey.” Their ancestor said.

“I’ll go with you, then.” Sooyoung replied, “Hyo needs someone to be with her when she gets back.”

“All right, the three of us will return to the mansion. I will take my leave there before returning to Romania since it is much closer to the city.”

The two descendants nodded. 
 

***


Silence reigned as flakes of snow fell steadily, ending their descent on the empty balustrades of the Jung mansion. The cold wind blew, bringing pieces of thin ice in its lonely journey. Its bellows were halted by the snow-coated wall that guarded the derelict manor.

Not a single life blessed the surreal scenery. Silence was its lone accompaniment until the air grew thin, an unseen force assumed control, disturbing the tranquility that made its home in the Jung estate. The wind swirled, the stilled white that infected the scenery with its monotony.

From the blanched vastness of the landscape sprang forth darkness, breaking the cold atmosphere with its sultry entrance. Like flames fueled by the wind, the void expanded, exploding in a circling mass as the wind howled in reverence to its entry.

A figure formed from the ebon swirl flanked by two more as the void conflagrated, spreading like wild fire, tainting the white scenery.

Hyoyeon stepped forth, her thick raven-colored boots touching the soft snow, swallowing her foot as she trudged further away from the summoned void. Eyes scanned the surroundings, taking in every detail, every nook and cranny.

Nothing suspicious.

She turned. Two figures stepped forth into the scene. A man clad in black and a tall young lady in tight ebon apparel walked towards her. They surveyed the place, ears taking in the deafening silence that ruled the area. The trio laid their eyes on the derelict mansion. It had been intact ever since they’ve left.

“It’s too quiet here.” Sooyoung whispered.

Hyoyeon nodded in agreement, her eyes landing on their progenitor. The Elder strode forward, his feet sinking in the cold sea of white.

He took in the winter air, inhaling the biting cold that would have burned a mortal’s lungs. He turned to his two descendants, eyes landing on the Kim and then the Choi.

“This is my stop. I can sense someone in the mansion, investigating.” Said the Elder.

“Shall we meet the mortal, then?” Asked Sooyoung.

“It depends on you two.”

“What do you mean, grandfather?” Hyoyeon inquired, her eyes searching the vampire elder for answers.

“I will go from here. It depends on your choice if you’d wish to stay here longer. Enemies might come back to this place.”

“We’ll just stay a bit, grandfather.” Sooyoung decided, “I think Hyo and I would want to know what the mortal’s up to…”

“Be careful, my children.” The Elder took both granddaughters into his embrace before he strolled away from the mansion through its opened gates and past the spoils that were left of the fight a few weeks ago, leaving the two young vampires to deal with a mortal who had intruded their former lair.
 

***


He cautiously walked into the huge hall, his eyes wary of movement as he explored the abandoned mansion. Everything had been untouched. Neither a single evidence of struggle nor conflict had been found save for the mess outside the Jung mansion’s gates. He wondered, what could have happened to the vampires?

Then, as if his prayers had been answered, Sherlock Holmes saw two pairs of blood-red eyes glowing in the darkness. Beads of sweat formed on his brow as his eyes registered the menacing stares that threateningly neared him with each passing of the second.

“What are you doing here?” The husky voice demanded.

He backed away. The hairs on the back of his neck stood in ovation as fear crept down his spine. The silent threats that ruled the cold air diffusing into the derelict manor had been very effective. Sherlock had to hand it to the two menacing figures lurking the shadows, watching his every move.

“I- I was j-j-just w-wonder-wondering w-w-what h-ha-happened t-to t-the v-vampires li-living here.” The mortal detective mentally scolded himself for stuttering, giving away his true emotions as he answered the simple question.

The two fear-inciting figures walked out of the darkness, revealing themselves to be a pair of beautiful young women. The taller one had darker complexion while the shorter one had blonde hair that cascaded past her shoulders. If there was one thing that would make Sherlock think that they’re both extraordinary, it would be that their eyes are deep crimson and are glowing like cinders in a dying flame.

“Who might you be? How did you know of vampires?” Sooyoung asked, her eyes transfixed on the man sweating bullets.

Sherlock composed himself, fixing his tie and clearing his throat. “I am Detective Sherlock Holmes, head investigator of the Ripper murders. I have been acquainted with the owners of this household, the vampire princesses of Romania. I have also come to know two of their relatives, who were Bulgarians.”

“So, you have met our cousins…” Hyoyeon remarked.

The detective nodded, he had never felt more relieved after hearing Hyoyeon’s words. Meeting the royal vampires meant that he’s safe. He brushed away the sweat streaming down his face with his kerchief as he sighed in relief. 

“I’m glad I didn’t run into something else – more menacing…” Sherlock said.

Sooyoung raised a brow, “What’s more menacing than vampires?”

“Er, you see, I met the culprit who caused the sinister murders.”

Hyoyeon and her cousin looked at each other in surprise before their eyes came upon the detective once more.

“The werewolf? One of our cousins told us about a werewolf killing off women.” Hyoyeon asked.

“Yes, his name is Count Black. I had come here to ask if you know him and I ended up coming upon an abandoned mansion. What happened?”

“Hunters and rogue vampires came upon this mansion a few weeks ago. A lot of things transpired and we were forced to leave this place. My cousin and I came back upon the request of our Elder.” Replied Sooyoung.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter