Ripper’s Howl

A Twisted Tale of Bloodlines II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Count Black, you know we sell our newcomers to the highest bidder.”

 

He smiled in a charming manner as he lowered his glass on the table. His eyes scanned the pub filled with mortals drowning in their sins, indulging in the promise of warm wine amidst the cold outdoors and of course, the warmth of the women who seek not but their money and games of pleasure.

 

“Please, at least give me your best. I want to stay warm the whole night.” He winked at the pimp, an old, fat lady coated in heavy foundation which failed to hide her age. He could have gagged at the mere sight and smell of the old woman, but it wasn’t his mission to do so. He was to charm her for his victim, one that would make a statement for him before the royalty of London.

 

“Oh, you naughty, naughty boy. If I had been young and fresh, I would have jumped you but now, I shall step back and let my younger ones take you.” She said, much to his pretentious amusement.

 

“Give me your best, madam, and I shall reward you with gold.” He said with glinting eyes as he gave her a glimpse of his riches.

 

He saw the sparkle in her eyes once she had caught sight of what he held from his pocket - genuine gold coins which must have cost a fortune, one that could buy a house for her.

 

‘Pfft. Greedy old hags. They care not but for themselves.’ He silently mocked as he waited.

 

***

 

It had been night time, way past the hour where drunkards would troll about under London’s streetlamps. An officer was making usual rounds near the East Side border. Something didn’t feel quite right. The hairs at the back of his neck stood at the discomfort and the sweat under his hat threatened to break free and trickled down his face. It was cold and hot at the same time.

 

He slipped on something wet. The poor officer fell onto the cold ground and much to his horror, onto a corpse. A dead lass. Barely recognized as human. Her body mangled and mutilated beyond recognition. He had literally stumbled upon one of Jack the Ripper’s victims. 

 

He clumsily fumbled for his whistle, alerting the other officers in the vicinity. He was still shaken from the gruesome discovery as he slowly backed away while the other officers scrambled to the area, only to stop short at the horrible scene before them.

 

“Get the Yard. They need to know of this.” Said one of the officers.

 

“Sir, there’s another victim discovered.” Replied another as another whistle from somewhere nearby rang through the foggy silence.

 

“Sir, another victim had been seen floating in the one of the unfinished dugouts.” Another officer panted out as he had arrived at the vicinity.

 

The officer in charge sighed. This was horrible. Unacceptable. It showed incompetence on the police’s part in protecting the masses.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter