Summoning the Illusion (Juhyun-centric)

A Twisted Tale of Bloodlines II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She opened her eyes to find herself in one of her worst nightmares. She hated this one special nightmare – of falling into an endless void. The free fall was grueling, sending discomfort up from the deepest pits of her stomach as her body plummeted into the unknown, the pull of gravity causing friction against her clothes, ruffling them.

 

Juhyun knew that outside this realm, in her outer self, she was vulnerable. Moments had passed and her body suddenly slowed its pace. The young vampire found herself floating in mid-air, lying supine over the rocks. Her body hovered to an upright position before she was gently settled to the ground.

 

This won’t be easy as she unleashed her sword in preparation for what was to come. The pack of werewolves everyone had been fighting in the real world had appeared, their behaviors establishing astonishment as Juhyun had welcomed their spirited selves into her realm.

 

The maknae knew that she had relieved her comrades of the fight though she couldn’t say the same for herself. Juhyun will have to survive on her own now – without anyone’s aid. This realm was a pocket dimension created of illusions and Juhyun was its vessel.

 

What the vampire had opened will be closed for a long time. Juhyun knew that she will be locked in a deep sleep, her inner self fighting for her liberation from the realm of illusions. It’s a hopeless cause on her part for she had not once dared to use this ability since the accident a long time ago – one that sent Soojung weeping beside her bed-ridden form for days when they were aged nine.

 

It was then as Juhyun dodged the attacks of claws, arrows, and swords that she had realized that they had now lost two of their own – one was Yoona… and the other was herself.

 

‘I’m sorry, Soojung. For hurting you, when I’ve promised not to…’

 

A lone tear escaped the maknae as she fought off the strength of the blade bearing down against her. From the corner of her eyes, she saw a projectile coming towards her. Another blade was seeking her torso.

 

Juhyun was in a pinch.

 

***

 

Yuri sat on winter’s white blanket. Her hands were filled with the precious blood of her other half. Her eyes were the darkest of crimson, dead and apathetic. She traced a delicate finger over Yoona’s cold features. As pale as the Im had been when she was alive, the unconscious one was now ashen white.

 

“Yoong, please wake up.” It was almost inaudible, but it had been the Black Pearl’s simple request.

 

Face buried itself against the limp body’s serene one. Lips pressed against the pallid lips. Yuri kissed death off of her lover’s face as a tear ran down the Kwon’s cheek.

 

The Im was pulseless.

 

Breathless.

 

Unmoving.

 

Unfeeling.

 

Dead.

 

The last of the Im family claimed by Death.

 

Yuri mourned quietly as the wind sang a sad elegy, spreading the news throughout the winter scenery. A footstep awakened the Kwon from her sorrow. The scent was familiar. Another crunch of the snow was heard. Then another and soon it was followed by more steps.

 

The Black Pearl looked up to meet sapphire eyes followed by familiar people not far behind the blonde. Before she could question the newcomer, the sun-kissed vampire knelt before them and placed a soft ungloved hand over the dead one’s forehead.

 

“Let her rest for now, Yuri.” The blonde said softly as she stood up and set her eyes on the youngest of the bunch. Yuri followed the older vampire’s sight only to be met with a sad Soojung carrying Juhyun’s limp body.

 

The Kwon gasped. They lost two in a day.

 

Two people for the price of one. Two people gone for the return of one.

 

The Black Pearl cried, “What’s the use of your return when we’ve gotten like this?!”

 

It had been intended for the newcomer. The blonde figure only stood motionless, back facing the angered vampire. She knew it was her fault.

 

“Yuri! It wasn’t her to blame! She saved us. We would have all been long dead had she not appeared in time.” Sunny said in the blonde’s defense.

 

“I’d rather die with Yoona than lose her.” Yuri muttered in anger.

 

The blonde didn’t speak a word. She just lowered her head and walked away from the group hiding the lone tear that ran down her face.

 

Sunny looked on worriedly, placing a hand on the blonde’s shoulder. The blonde simply gave her a sad smile before moving away. Tiffany settled herself beside the grief-stricken Kwon, gently the Black Pearl’s back in an attempt to ease the pain.

 

Soojung sat on the snow nearby with Juhyun cradled in her arms. Hyoyeon crouched over the limp maknae’s body, summoning a black flame and pushing it into Juhyun’s chest. Moments had passed before the flame returned from the body and Hyoyeon willed it to disperse.

 

“Soojung, I don’t think I could bring her back. She seemed to have wondered far into the realm unlike last time…” Hyoyeon said, eyes meeting the Jung’s in sympathy.

 

The youngest Jung began to tear up. She looked toward Sooyoung who knelt beside her.

 

“Unnie, please…”

 

Sooyoung gave her an apologetic look, “Soojung, I can’t pull her from that realm. It’s too risky. I might hurt her during the process.”

 

The maknae stared helplessly at the serene Juhyun. Her grip on the older one tightened.

 

‘Juhyun, please come back safe.’

 

***

 

Juhyun was getting tired from her strife. She was losing the will to fight as she limped away from her pursuers. This realm will not open up until she had defeated her enemies. Her illusions may be at their peak but she was too exhausted to use them. It might cost her life should she expend them carelessly.

 

S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter