Remnants of the Night

A Twisted Tale of Bloodlines II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyeon and Sooyeon preoccupied themselves with taking care of the youngest vampires. Yoona had finally awakened, much to the relief that Soojung’s blood had sustained the young vampire’s return. Despite that small triumph, they were still out in the open with no shelter to protect them from their enemies.

 

Yuri had left them, leapt off the cliff and down the mountainside. The twins had no choice but to let her go and find herself. Sooyoung had wanted to protest, but she was made to realize by the Kwon, herself, that Yuri had wanted this. Needed it.

 

“Perhaps, it was for the best.” Sunny had told them all while she assisted a recovering Juhyun to sit up. “If our paths are intertwined, then, it should not be hard for her to find her way back to us.”

 

Everyone had nodded to the wise Lee’s statement.

 

***

 

Miyoung and Hyoyeon wandered off, passing through perilous cliff sides and thick snow in search of refuge. Hyoyeon was up front, scouting locations for possible shelter, for the storms do not seem to pass. Miyoung was right behind her, arrows at the ready, covering for her cousin who had her eyes scanning the area.

 

There were pines up this side of the mountain. Rocks and piles of snow challenged them as they trudged the slippery ground. The cold white substance was waist deep, limiting their movements. Hyoyeon knew that Miyoung could not risk moving the earth for they might cause an avalanche. The snow continued raining on them with each step but much to their relief, Hyoyeon spotted smoke from afar.

 

The Kim tapped her cousin’s shoulder, pointing to the direction of the smoke. They looked at each other for a moment before they both struggled against the deep snow. It was like treading deep water and the cold seemed unbearable, but with them being vampires, it did not faze them much; unless of course, it would be Sooyeon’s kind of cold.

 

“Let’s go.” Hyoyeon breathed as she and Miyoung crouched low like tigers on the prowl for prey. With swift, sure steps, they headed towards the cabin from where the smoke had been rising from its humble chimney.

 

Miyoung took a peek through the misty glass window with hopes of finding something about the cabin’s contents. Her crimson eyes could only make out the fire crackling in the small furnace. The rest of the cabin was devoid of life. She scooted closer to her partner, facing the blonde vampire.

 

“There’s no one inside. Perhaps, its occupants went out.” She murmured.

 

“We need to be sure. There’s clearly someone living there. We should wait it out, Miyoung.” Hyoyeon suggested.

 

“Where do we stay?”

 

Hyoyeon pointed to the treetops. Miyoung mouthed an ‘oh.’

 

***

 

“There’s barely any sign of life out here!” An old man grumbled to his comrade.

 

“But at least we got to feed off a dying mortal. It was luck, I tell ya.” Replied the younger companion.

 

“Tis not enough. We need more. There’s five of us here and that lone man was not enough to satiate us. We need to hunt for more.” Said another who had some blood staining his grey fur coat.

 

The four others groaned.

 

“A storm is coming, Master Rafael. We cannot continue with this venture any longer,” replied the blond man whose eyes sparkled rouge.

 

The one named Rafael took to his surroundings, sensing something amiss in the wind.

 

“I smell trespassers.” He growled lowly. His comrades furrowed their brows, also sensing some other presence in the area.

 

“Creatures like us?”

 

“This high up in the mountains?”

 

“Preposterous!”

 

“Hush!” Scolded the old man.

 

The three younger ones immediately quieted down. Master Rafael took in a deep breath before he unleashed his powers into the world. A strong gale escaped from his mouth and began swaying the pines around them, shaking the snow from the branches.

 

A sharp sound was heard and a dark smoke manifested before them. It rose from the ground and burst into dark flames, astonishing its onlookers. Master Rafael stepped back, beaconing his companions to do the same as the flames created a wall whereupon two figures cloaked in darkness stepped forth from it.

 

The dark furnace evaporated as soon as the two strangers made their grand introduction into the five’s presence.

 

“It is quite interesting to find other vampires here, high up in the mountains.” Master Rafael remarked.

 

The hooded figures did not seem to move. Their faces were veiled well and the five vampires did not seem pleased about it. The old man noticed the royal family’s crest on the lock attached to chains holding the cloaks of the strangers. He growled, “What does the royal family want of us?”

 

The old man furtively pressed his hand to the hilt of the sword he was carrying.

 

“So, you know what we are. And yet, you ask who we are. Who are you to question us?” Miyoung asked in a calm manner.

 

Master Rafael raised an eyebrow. A female member of the royal family is in their presence. He recalled the score he needed to settle with the royal vampires. He remembered his treachery when he had refused to carry out the task ordered of him by the reigning king of the previous century.

 

“We are traitors in your eyes. I believe you seek to end us? Settle the score a century ago?” Master Rafael said.

 

Miyoung blinked. She looked to Hyoyeon for guidance. The coven master saw the confusion. He chortled at the sight of the confused ones. His comrades looked to him with questions in their minds.

 

“A century old tale, your highnesses. Let me guess, you two are unaware of my faults against the vampire throne.” Master Rafael said.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter