Schemes, Secrets, and Changes

A Twisted Tale of Bloodlines II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A month has passed since the group parted ways from the small cottage of Master Rafael. A group of three had found themselves back in London, finding the city in chaos. News of Jack the Ripper on the loose at night instilled fear on the populace. The three vampires had found themselves a humble place to stay and tune into the whispers spreading around the city.

 

“The Ripper is a werewolf, that I am most sure.” Hyoyeon stated matter-of-factly as she laid herself on one bed whilst the other two busied themselves with the newspaper and some books they had borrowed from the public library.

 

“Indeed, he is, but why is he doing this?” Soonkyu asked as she studied clippings of the news mentioning the Ripper’s exploits. “We need to catch that creature. He might be a pawn of the enemy’s grand scheme.”

 

“I’m sure that he is. I think we need to start with the old werewolf towns located around the countryside.” Juhyun said, eyes still locked onto the old and torn leather-bound book which she had managed to procure secretly from the confines of the library’s restricted section.

 

Two sets of eyes widened at the maknae.

 

“Juhyun, are you crazy?”

 

“That’s practically trying to kill yourself!”

 

“We cannot risk such a reckless move.”

 

“But, it’s the only way, unnies. We’ll be swift and subtle. Just go in, find the cheese, and then, we’re out. The cats, or rather, the wolves won’t know.”

 

“What if we get caught?”

 

“I’ll make them believe that they saw nothing.”

 

“You’re going to waste your energy on that…”

 

“It’s worth the try.”

 

“What will we gather from those towns?”

 

“The wolves’ plans.”

 

“Isn’t it better to just capture one and squeeze their plans out of them?”

 

“We can only get parcels of that, but not the whole picture…”

 

“Then, tell us, Juhyun. What do you have in mind to successfully steal meat from the wolves’ den?”

 

Juhyun smiled at Soonkyu’s query before she told the older vampires of her cunning scheme.

 

***

 

Meanwhile, inside an icy cavern overlooking a French town, were two vampires seeking comforts inside the dark, unwelcoming cave. One was lying on a velvet quilt that had been laid out, eyes distant and delirious as the other tended to the grave wound that had been the doings of some cunning beast they have encountered earlier.

 

“Unnie…”

 

Soojung’s voice momentarily dragged her from her unconsciousness.

 

“Unnie…”

 

She stirred, yet she could barely move an inch. Bones felt rigid and heavy. Her muscles ached at any attempt at movement. They felt like scaffoldings. Then, the pain shot through her body. A groan escaped from her lips.

 

“Unnie, please, try to stay awake.”

 

She could barely hear those pleas as she struggled a losing battle between herself and the impending darkness that was consuming her. She had sensed something pressing on her stomach. It hurt. Real bad. She had wanted to scream in pain and agony, but she couldn’t. She had been paralyzed by the toxins – the poison that was gnawing at her body, bit by aching bit.

 

“Unnie, please. Stay!” Soojung’s muffled voice had pleaded. She could only imagine with her blurry eyes the tears that were now streaming down her maknae’s face. She tried to move her hand, but it felt numb.

 

Sooyeon fell into the chasm of darkness as she let go of her hold onto consciousness.

 

Taeyeon…

 

Sooyeon whispered in her mind before she slippe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter