The Shocking Truth

Let's Play With Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“You need to rest well Chae…”

Jiyong hold Chaerin’s hand and lead her inside her apartment. She looks so pale. Jiyong glance at the clock hanging on her wall. It’s 2a.m.

It was hectic just now at the hospital, people starts showing up when the clock strikes at midnight. His parents came, Teddy came, Dara and Minzy came with their partners. It was overwhelming and it pains everyone to see the faint smile forming on the Lee’s face.

The operation finished 15 minutes after midnight, but Seunghyun’s condition can only be confirmed if he’s able to wake up on his own.

 

“He’s a fighter for sure, if he’s able to wake up tonight, there’s nothing to worry”

“If not?” Chaerin swallow hard. Someone has to ask and that someone is her, it’s the reality they have to swallow no matter how bitter it is and they need to know all the options.

“We’ll discuss when that happens, for now.. Let’s just pray.. All of you need to be strong for him..” the Doctor leave them with encouraging smile.

 

Jiyong saw how Junghwan was obviously troubled by that fact. Needless to say about Bom, she leaves the scene not wanting to show her emotion in front of Seunghyun’s family. Then there’s Chaerin, who just stand there expressionless. Jiyong cannot read her blank emotion.

One by one they start to leave the premises. The last one to leave was of course the Lee family, Youngdon and Jiyong. The doctor had to reassure them that he will call them if Seunghyun wakes up.

Jiyong sits Chaerin on the couch. She has not said anything since just now. Jiyong drove her car and was told by Junghwan to take care of Chaerin.

 

“Jiyong, can I trust you to take care of my daughter?”

“Of course uncle, I’m sorry this happens”

“It’s okay son… I need someone to look after her, she may look that way but she’s troubled inside.. It would be hard for her to come home, she will dwell on her sadness, I don’t want that to happen…”

“Don’t worry too much, I will take care of Chaerin, uncle….”

 

Jiyong brushes the fringe off her face and cup her face. He is kneeling in front of her and looks into her gloomy eyes.

“Chae… Have you eaten yet?”

Chaerin shift her attention to Jiyong.

“Are you leaving me?” her words struck him. There’s pain in her voice.

“Everybody is leaving me anyway, mom, Soohyuk, Tabi…” Chaerin chokes. She pushes Jiyong’s hand off her face and tilts her head to the back.

“If you’re leaving me, just go now… before it’s too late…”

With that, Jiyong stood up and stare at her.

“Chaerin, what am I to you?” he is clearly hurt by Chaerin’s words just now.

Only silence pass by them, Chaerin is staring at the ceiling. Those words just pass through without thinking about it.

“I understand you’re hurt right now, but don’t treat me this way… Don’t push me away Chae.. Please say something”

Another silent moment.

Jiyong sit down next to Chaerin, his whole body facing at her direction.

“Sohee is back…” she mumbles quietly still having her eyes fixed to the ceiling.

Jiyong her hair waiting for her to continue. Chaerin felt his touch but she’s too numb to respond with her feelings.

“She is beautiful. No, she’s gorgeous. We’re too different.. Your long lost love has come back home… What am I to you now?” Chaerin finally turn to her side, locking eyes with Jiyong.

Those things Jiyong said to her at the hospital keep on repeating like a broken record. For a moment, she believed him. Chaerin believed him when he utters those words before she caught him on the phone with Sohee.

 

“We’ll meet tomorrow Sohee, I have to settle things here first….. I have something to give to you, yeah, I’m glad we met today..”

 

His precious smile planted on his face while he was talking with Sohee, ripped her heart into thousand pieces.

“Chae….”

“I heard you on the phone… with her…”

Jiyong look compose.

“You were so eager to meet her later.. Sorry if I get in the way between you two.. I won’t be in your way anymore, you are free to go…” Chaerin stare back at the ceiling. She feels like crying but her tears won’t flow.

“Are you finished?” Jiyong calmly said those words.

Seeing there’s no response from Chaerin, he adjusts his position moving closer to her and intertwined their fingers together.

“When I said she is history, I meant it. Every memory Sohee and I had will remain as memories. The day I commit to you is the day I buried everything she and I had in a box, ready to give it away to her when she showed up. It’s a coincidence that the day happens to be yesterday. Yes, I’m meeting her later, but only to pass the box and of course I’m glad meeting her because I know she’s doing fine, healthy and alive.”

Chaerin turn her head, interested in his explanation.

“We talked and the reason why she left me was because she felt that I’m holding her back, she’s becoming too dependent on me. It was hell, I was broken and I longed for her to come back to me.. But the day I met you, changes everything. So, believe me when I say you are my priority now because you’re the one who owns my heart now. There is no tingling sensation or flashback memories coming back to me when I saw her just now, but seeing you turn your back on me and leave with that look on your face, it pains me…"

Jiyong her hair.

"I only have one regret though..”

Jiyong play with her fingers and smile a little while rubbing her cheek.

“And that is, not meeting you sooner..”

As soon as he finished, her worries wash away with all her doubts. Chaerin bite her lower lip. She is speechless. This is the first time Jiyong being this transparent with her.

“I love you, Lee Chaerin. Only you.”

That’s it. Those three magical words. Unknowingly, Chaerin lean forward and kiss his tender lips.

Jiyong respond to her kiss and places his hand at the back of her neck, caressing while planting soft kisses on her lips. It wasn’t long and passionate but it fills with emotion. They rest their forehead onto each other’s.

“I love you too…” she whispers, brushing on his lips.

Chaerin leap forward and wrap her arms around him. Resting her head on his shoulder, Chaerin realized it wasn’t Jiyong who needed the closure. It was her. She was the one who needed the closure to feel at ease.

 

 

 

************************************

 

 

 

“Did I make you cry the whole night?” Seunghyun chuckles weakly while rubbing his thumb on Bom’s cheek who is sitting on his bed.

“Cry? Me? Pffttt… I just came this morning…” Bom sniffs, it’s obvious that her eyes are swollen.

Youngdon and Junghwan giggle as they watch the scene. They got a call this morning from the doctor telling them that Seunghyun is fully awake. Not wasting any more time, after calling Chaerin, they immediately informed Bom.

The doctor updates them about Seunghyun’s condition. It was a miracle that the blood clot was not inoperable. It’s a really good sign Seunghyun are able to wake up because if he didn’t, he would most probably face with the possibility of brain damage. Everybody was shocked by the revelation.

“Dad, where’s Chae?”

“She’s on the way with Jiyong..”

Bom shifted from the bed and sit on one of the chair when Junghwan approach his son. Seeing him on the bed with the bandage wrap around his head, wires all over to monitor his heart rate and needle sticking into his skin, how he wishes that he could replace him. No father would want to see his son in that condition but right now he is thanking God non-stop for bringing Seunghyun back to his conscious.

“Tabi.” All of them turn their attention to the owner of that voice. Chaerin is standing there with Jiyong behind her.

Chaerin only moves when Jiyong nudge her. All of the emotions Chaerin try to suppress since yesterday overflow and it doesn’t take long for her eyes begins to get teary. She bites her lip and clenches her fist.

“Stupid! Stupid! Why are you so stupid to fall from the tree house?” she walks slowly towards Seunghyun with a trembling voice.

“We’ve climb the tree house countless of time yet you still manage to fall like an idiot! Do you even know what I feel yesterday? If you scare us one more time, I’m going to make you pay for it!” Chaerin stood there at the bed side saying those words sternly while her tears fall down her cheeks.

Bom who was calm starts getting teary eyes. She understands Chaerin’s reaction. Chaerin is not angry but she’s terrified knowing the possibility of Seunghyun leaving her. Junghwan move to Chaerin’s side and wrap his arm around her shoulder. She lay her head on her father’s shoulder while sobbing. This is the first time Jiyong sees her like that. He wants to console her so bad but he doesn't want to disturb the family.

“Chae…” Seunghyun offer his hand to her. “Come here..”

Junghwan pat her head and release her. Chaerin take Seunghyun hand and sit next to him while still letting out soft sobs.

“I’m alive and soon I’ll get back my energy to smack you for calling me stupid…” he smile. Seeing Chaerin cry breaks his heart. He never wants to see his sister shed anymore tears after her dark period.

“Stupid” Chaerin slap his chest lightly and rest her head on his chest.

“Do you really think that I would die before seeing you walk down the aisle with dad?” he teases while rubbing her head lovingly. All of them laugh at his wittiness. He always know what to say to neutralize the situation.

“Yah!” Chaerin slap his chest once more where Seunghyun dramatically shows his pain.

“Alien! Don’t be too sissy~”

The relief Chaerin felt when she received the phone call this morning was indescribable. She fell asleep in Jiyong's arm last night at the living room. Jiyong was the one to wake her up to take the call.

 “Hey, don’t you have work? All of you? It’s Monday right?” Seunghyun look at each of them.

“Emergency leave.” Chaerin say nonchalantly.

“No”

“But oppa, I already told Teddy yesterday…”

“No, Chae.. You’re going to work, end of discussion..” Chaerin pouts. She glances at Jiyong and he just throw her a smirk.

“I’m leaving to Jeju this afternoon... I was going to postpone the meeting, but seeing you now, I think i can leave in peace…”

“Sorry about that dad, it should be me…”

“Nahhh~ it’s fine, you’re cooking us dinner when you’re discharge” Junghwan wink at his son.

“Did you wink just now?” Chaerin shows a startling face teasing his dad.

“Aigoo~~” he flicks her forehead. “I wonder how you handle my daughter’s antics…” it’s Junghwan turns to tease his daughter. Chaerin feels hot suddenly. How in the world that her dad knows about her and Jiyong? She looks at Seunghyun demanding for an explanation but he just smile playfully.

“It’s quite a challenge uncle…” Jiyong scratch his head deciding to play along although he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter