The Proposal

Let's Play With Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Chaerin excitedly run into her family’s residents while yelling ‘I’m home!’, startling everyone. She giggles while she joins her family in the living room where they leisurely watching the 8 pm news.

“My daughter is finally home~ I thought she forgot her way back home” Junghwan said while smiling happily at her.

“I miss youuuuu!!!!” Chaerin squeal and hug her dad from behind who is sitting comfortably at their cosy couch. Junghwan chuckles and pat her arm before she moves to Tabi and messes with his hair.

“Yah~!” he push her hand away.

“Omo~ somebody is moody~” Chaerin sit in between them.

“Tabi have to go back to Jeju on Valentine’s Day, that’s why he’s moody~” Junghwan glance briefly at his one and only son.

“Ooohhh~ that’s a bummer~” Chaerin pouts at him.

“It’s not that dad~” he rolls his eyes.

“I know~ you’re in trouble with Bommie right? Just go for early valentine or later after you’re back from Jeju, easy peasyyy~” Chaerin suggested.

“She doesn’t know it yet” he said blankly.

“Omo~ good luck~” Chaerin squeeze his arm and release it when Junghwan pull her close to him. She snuggles comfortably in his embrace and rests her head on his shoulder.

They watch the news and comments about the coverage done for the night. Chaerin on the other hand is busy commenting the newscaster fashion sense which doesn’t garner any interest from the men. They just nod and shake their head when they needed too.

“I’m so hungry~” Chaerin rubs her stomach after the news ended.

“When’s the last time you ate?” Junghwan frowns.

“Lunch~”

Both of them throw her a suspicious look.

“Fine~ just now, on the way, I stopped at Mcd drive through and ate an apple pie”

“Just apple pie?” Seunghyun raised his eyebrow.

“And nuggets! Gosh~ does it matter? Cook me something~” she push Seunghyun off the couch and he shakes his head while looking at his father.

“Dad, you created a monster~” Junghwan chuckles when he heard that.

“If I’m a monster, than you are an alien~” she sticks her tongue out at Seunghyun. Chaerin always lose her cool when she’s at home. Here, she’s the baby of the family and she sometimes act like a spoil brat, because she like the feeling of getting spoiled by Seunghyun and Junghwan.

“Both of you have to treat each other better.. When I’m gone, you will only have each other~” Chaerin and Seunghyun stop and look dearly at Junghwan.

“Dad… I’m going to be so mad if you talk like this again…” Chaerin fold her arms and pouts. She doesn’t like it when Junghwan starts talking about stuff like this. It’s the last thing she wants to happen, losing her mother is painful enough and she doesn’t want to lose anyone close to her any time soon although she’s aware that every living soul will meet with their creator sooner or later.

“Don’t worry dad, I’ll marry Chaerin with a perfect man that you don’t have to worry at all…” Seunghyun lighten up the mood with his joke.

“Eww, no! Your preference is worse than dad’s” Chaerin squeal.

“What do you mean worse? I’m not the one who set you up on that blind date with the physiotherapist that almost bore you to death who keeps on talking about ‘Introduction to Bone names’” Seunghyun laugh heartily together with Chaerin and Junghwan clear his throat. Chaerin remember clearly how the guy was fidgeting all the time and he keeps on telling her puns and jokes about bones. Thanks to him, Chaerin knows where cranium is, what is phalanges and the difference between fibula and tibia.

“Well, in my defence, he was quiet charming when we first met, I guess that changes when he met my beautiful daughter” Junghwan pinch her chin and smile.

“I am beautiful and smart and gorgeous and cute and…..”

“and you eat like a pig~” Seunghyun press her nose up and make her look like one. Chaerin smack his hand and her father joins to laugh.

“Well, pig has a cute body which is contrast with my slim figure” Chaerin smirk.

“Dad~ look at your son!” she points at Seunghyun who’s snorting at his remark.

“Aigoo, you make me have a headache, I’m going to bed… don’t be so loud or you’ll disturb Aunty Choi who is in her room~” junghwan never treats the helper around the house as someone who works for him. It is all from his late wife’s teachings. She treated them like family and everybody else followed suit.

“Oww mannn~ you’re going to sleep already? But I just got here~” Chaerin pouts.

“I have to be up early tomorrow dear, I have to go to Jeju a day earlier than your brother” Junghwan pat Chaerin’s head.

“But why????”

“Because it’s Valentine and a lot is happening at our resort~”

“Dad, we see less of each other these few weeks~”

“It’s your own fault~” Seunghyun smirk.

“It’s okay, I understand… both of my children are busy now, I’m so proud of you… but one thing you have to keep in mind is to always make time for the one you love… okay?”

Chaerin is a bit sad of not being able to spend more time with her family nowadays. Especially with her dad. Seunghyun and Junghwan basically meet with each other 4 days a week because of work and of course their weekend getaway to their family home. Chaerin suddenly felt guilty about spending less time with them.

“Dad, let me and Tabi send you to the airport tomorrow… we can go grab breakfast before you take off~” Chaerin show her eye smile.

“Yeah that would be great~ if this sleepyhead can wake up that early~” Seunghyun pull her messy bun.

“Yah~! How early?” Chaerin asks while fixing her messy bun.

“My flight is at 9, and we have to move from home at 7 if you want to have breakfast~” Junghwan smile at his daughter.

“7?” Chaerin look defeated.

“It’s okay, Youngdon can send me” Junghwan chuckles.

“No! I can wake up at that time~ trust me… I promise!” Chaerin shows her pinky finger and Seunghyun just rolls his eyes.

“Okay…okay… but if you’re late for even 5 minutes, Youngdon will send me….” Junghwan is very particular with time.

“Yes sir~” she salute her father. Junghwan pat her head while smiling before excusing himself to his bedroom. Chaerin stands up and push Seunghyun to the kitchen.

“Now, make me something~”

“Yah! I’m your brother, you’re the one who supposed to make me something~”

“Oppppppaaaaa~~” Chaerin starts making annoying sounds until Seunghyun surrender.

“God! You’re so annoying~ What do you feel like eating?” Chaerin’s spoiled brat syndrome only comes once in a while and Seunghyun have no choice and just follow her orders. He doesn’t mind anyways, Chaerin is in fact his one and only baby sister.

“Can you make me chicken and ham sandwhich?” she clasps her hand.

“I can make it with my eyes closed~ my specialty~” he said smugly while grabbing the ingredients from the fridge.

Chaerin scoff and eye her brother’s movements “So, what are you going to do about valentine?”

“Nothing~” he cuts the boneless chicken and boil a pot of water.

“What do you mean nothing? Bommie will go berserk” Chaerin sits on the counter and watch her brother diligently cutting.

“I’m not into that stuff anyways… every day is Valentine’s Day for me…”

“You sound so… cliché… that’s what everybody says”

“Yeah of course! Because it’s true…” Chaerin starts moving next to him to help marinate the chicken while he continues on cutting tomatoes and cucumber.

“How about after that dinner with Dara and Youngbae, you prepare something romantic for her… just the two of you” Chaerin put aside the chicken and starts blenching the thin slices of ham in the boiling water.

“Like what?” Seunghyun finally stops and show interest at her.

“Like, I don’t know… we know Bom like food, you and sleep… why don’t you bring her somewhere where she can ‘cuddle’ with you, pampered her with foods and spend the night with her before dropping the bomb that you have to leave to Jeju for Valentine’s day~ or better yet, why don’t you bring her with you?” Chaerin takes out the hams and put out the fire.

“Bringing her to Jeju? Last time I did that, she was nagging about me not spending time with her~” he take out a pan and start caramelizing the onions and Chaerin on the other hand starts grilling the chicken .

“That because you didn’t!” she rolls her eyes.

“Girls are so hard to please~” Seunghyun mumbles.

“No, we’re not… you just don’t understand what we need most at times.. Now that’s frustrating~”

“That’s what I meant… you girls are like puzzle.. Everything about you is like an unsolved mystery… Sometimes, you should just let us know what exactly bothering you and what you want…” he continues to speak his mind and Chaerin smirk, because it’s true.

“Well, it’s your full time job as a boyfriend…..” she chuckles.

“Sometimes we can get tired, you know… that’s why in some case, we’ll find somebody new that understand us better~” he joke, forgetting Chaerin’s past.

“Not funny..” Chaerin suddenly becomes gloomy because it hits her right through her heart. Not that she still hanging on her past. It’s just that, she remember how painful it was and it’s not something she wants other girls to experience.

Seunghyun instantly remember and bite his lips and wrap his arm around her shoulder “Sorry, I was just joking… I would never do that to Bommie…”

“I know you won’t” Chaerin softens and finish up with the chicken.

Two chicken sandwiches is done, Chaerin bring the plates in the living room while Seunghyun grab couple of beers for them.

“Yummy~~~ we’re a power duo in the kitchen~” Chaerin said with her mouthful.

“Tsk, I basically did everything~” Seunghyun teases her.

“Whatever~ this is soooo good!” she continues munching while turning on the television at a low volume. The Devils Wear Prada is on.

“What are you up to on Valentine’s?” Seunghyun ask and Chaerin chokes on her food. He quickly rubs her back.

“Nothing” she runs away from his gaze and pretend to watch the movie. It’s not a lie. It’s true, she doesn’t even know if Jiyong plan something or not at that day.

“Follow me to Jeju, you still haven’t seen the resort fully right?” Seunghyun sips his beer.

“Ahhhhhh~ I would love to, but I’m working the day after tomorrow, so…”

“I’ll call Teddy, he would understand~”

“No! I mean, no… it’s okay, I’ve been taking so many leaves already..”

“Fine… but if you want to come, just tell me…” Seunghyun continue chewing his food. He just doesn’t want her to be alone on that day.

“Okay~”

Chaerin focused back on the movie. Now that they are on that topic, she become anxious of what Jiyong is planning or not planning for Valentine’s. She’s not going to get her hopes too high, because she doesn’t want to be disappointed is he’s not arranging anything.

 

 

***************************************

 

 

Chaerin arrived exactly at 4pm at Jiyong’s apartment. She’s never late. Although she was late for 10 minutes this morning when their off to send Junghwan to the airport. She had to bear with Seunghyun constant teasing about her punctuality and how she inherits that sleepyhead character from their mother. Jiyong widened his eyes from his couch when he sees her smiling towards him.

“Hi oppa~~”

“You dye your hair??” Jiyong widened his eyes.

“Yup freshly dyed… you like it?” she asked nervously at him. Not that it matters now she already dyed her hair blonde.

“You look more intimidating.. and ier..” he sigh.

“Then, what’s with the face?” Chaerin frowns.

“More and more men are going to be attracted to you…” he shakes his head.

“Silly~” she chuckles and slap his chest.

Chaerin was about to make her way to the kitchen when Jiyong hugs her from behind.

“You should hug me… at least…” he buried his face in her neck while whispering on her ear making her flinched.

“Oppa~” she tried to release herself because it’s ticklish.

Realizing that, Jiyong starts tickling her waist making her moving aggressively trying to escape from him.

“Yahhhh~ oppa! I’m ticklish~” she giggles in frustration.

“You smell like a saloon~” he finally released her.

“I do?” she sniffs her hair. She does smell like a saloon.

“Yup” he chuckles. Chaerin just rolls her eyes.

“So, what do you want to learn today?”

“Nothing~~~~ I just wants to cuddle with you before we go to that dinner, can we not go?” he pull her close to him.

“No… we have to go, Youngbae made it really exclusive and special… we should show our support and I think this is the first time they are doing it this big and first time your gang will meet with my gang” she chuckles over the gang thing.

“You just want to eat~” he whisper in front of her.

“Yah!! Well, yeah…” she laughs.

“I knew it…” he snakes his arms around her waist and look at her intensely.

“Oppa~~ we have to make you a pro in cooking~” Chaerin push him knowing something will happen if she immerse in his gaze. Jiyong smile when she sees her fluster towards the kitchen. She have no idea how her presence can affect him.

“Since, today we’re going to that dinner party, let’s just do something light, or something that you can eat later as a dessert~” Chaerin rest her hand on her waist with her head tilt to the side.

“Like what?”

“Like fried ice cream~”

“Isn’t that is like level 10 in cooking?”

“No oppa” she giggles. “It’s so easy, you can do it with your eyes closed. All we need is ice cream, some bread crumbs and couple of eggs..”

“But.. I don’t have all those things… except for eggs~” he stare at her playfully. Chaerin is late to pick up and when she realized what he meant, she gives a slap to his arm, making him wince in pain.

“Ouch!!”

“Serves you right~” she try hard not to blush.

“I was just teasing~” he lean forward, trapping her at the kitchen counter.

“Go awayyyy~” she pushes his face. Jiyong love to that it’s not funny anymore but intense, because he is so hot when he put on that piercing stare.

“You look so y right now Chae, with your new hair…” he pressed his weight slowly onto her.

Chaerin find it intimidating not being in control in situation like this and it’s always him who makes her fluster, she can do it too. She wants to see his face when he’s the one who feels the tension. Chaerin channel her iness to her body and reacts. She snakes her arms around his neck and whisper in her husky voice.

“Really? Do i?” she whisper to his ears and she can see Jiyong flinched for a second there, the table has turn around.

She arch her back while making eye contact with him and slowly lift her body up to sit on the kitchen counter, she can see Jiyong swallow the lump on his throat. Chaerin pull him towards her and look deeply into his eyes.

“So what you going to do about it Ji~” she takes his arm and put it around her waist. Chaerin is turning him on right now but he knows what she’s doing and he will not let her win.

“Fry some ice cream~” he whisper back ily and smirk.

Chaerin widened her eyes and he starts laughing when he sees her expression. Boy, Jiyong was almost defeated by Chaerin there and she groans when she sees him behaving that way.

“You…. are a jerk~!” she jumps off the counter and slap his arm before pulled into his hug, coaxing the sulking Chaerin.

They agreed of taking the cooking lesson at Chaerin’s place because of Jiyong’s lack of ingredients.

“Oppa, we need to buy groceries for you again… I’ve given you the list right? Why do you keep on ignoring my list?” Chaerin rolls her eyes when she already settled with the ingredients.

“Because I’m too busy with work~ I forgot”

“Oppa… what can I do with you~” she sigh while putting on a plastic gloves on his hand before doing the same thing for herself.

“A lot~” he whisper playfully and she will not fall at his game again this time. she pushed him away and rolls her eyes.

“Okay, so first thing first, scoop the ice cream, then, you soak it in this white egg, then you roll it on the bread crumbs.. Make sure you got all the ice cream covered with bread crumbs before wrapping it in this plastic wrap.”

“Are we going to fry it with the plastic?” Jiyong ask innocently.

Chaerin broke into a big laughter when he said that “No, oppa~ it just to hold them in place

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter