The City That Never Sleeps

Let's Play With Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


“Bommieeeee~~~~~~~ Daraaaaaaaaa~~~~ can you be faster please??” Chaerin’s loud voice resonates to the whole suite demanding for Bom to hurry up. They rent a suite with two rooms for their stay there.

“Wait~~~ I’m trying… stop shouting!” Bom yell from the bedroom she shares with Dara.

Minzy sigh on the couch flipping through the magazine for the hundred times. Chaerin slam her body and rest her head on Minzy’s lap.

“God~ I’m starting to think that this whole room arrangement is wrong, each of us should’ve stayed with one of those ahjummas…” Minzy mumbles.

“Yah!!!! Faster! Unlike you guys, someone is here to work~” Chaerin starts pestering them. The event organized by Michel Gaubert is starting soon and she needs to be there to monitor her people and widened her connection. She managed to get passes for her best friends but at this rate, she’s not sure whether they can make it on time.

“Done… done… Dara was the one who’s late” Bommie rushes out from the room while wearing her earring and both the maknaes are glaring at them.

“Me? Meeee??”

“Okay enough… let’s just go…” Chaerin stand up and grab her belongings before rushing off followed by the three of them. there's no time for arguments right now.

Feeling guilty, Bom hugs her from behind when they arrive in the elevator “Babeeeee~ sorry” she pouts.

“Urggghhhh, fine~ but you guys are buying us dinner tonight” she points to Minzy and herself.

“Fret not missy~ just thank me for the fun we’re having tonight… we’re going to party with my model friends tonight….” she winks and the rest look at her suspiciously.

“What? Oh come on~~~~ We’re going to the hottest club here… the owner is my friend… and he’s hot too… Chae take note~” Bom winks.

“Yah yah… she already has her eyes on someone back in Korea…” Dara protest.

“It’s not even official yet…” Bom rolls her eyes and stuck out her tongue to Dara while Chaerin is ignoring her surroundings.

“Oh, but you haven’t told us about the date… how was it?” Minzy nudge her shoulder.

“It was…. Amazing.” Chaerin smile briefly before walking out of the elevator upon arriving at the lobby, they enter into the vehicle arranged by the hotel for them. A black Toyota Alphard. After making a brief conversation with the driver, they start moving to their destination.

“So, define amazing~” Dara look at Chaerin who is sitting beside her and the other two at the back pay attention immediately.

“Did you guys had ?” Chaerin throw a glare at Bom “What?? It’s a legit question..”

“Perfect start with perfect ending… until I ruined it~” Chaerin sigh and throw her gaze out the moving vehicle.

“How exactly did you ruin the date?” Minzy asked.

“I think he was about to kiss me until I remind him that it’s just a fake date~”

“Why would you do that, idiot!” Bom slap her arm.

"Chaeeee~~~" Minzy whines.

“Because it is! And besides, we had too much wine and I think he just got caught in the moment~”

“I think he likes you~” Dara said confidently.

“How do you know?” Chaerin turn to look at her.

“I known him for years Chae, ever since he got dumped by Sohee, I never saw him in contact with any girls. Seriously, even with his own workers, he treats them cold..”

“Really??" Bom look at Dara.

"I think he even made two female workers resigned and countless others cried"

"Wow~" Minzy mumbles.

"I think you guys match because you guys are similar in a way, both of you got dumped in a hard way~” Bom said bluntly to Chaerin.

“Then maybe that’s why it’s so impossible for us to be together… we are just two traumatized individuals… traumatized meets with traumatized? Not a good combo~” Chaerin shakes her head.

“Tell me we’re not going through this again~” Minzy rolls her eyes.

“Chae! You’ve decided you want to pursue him already, so stop it with all this negative remarks….” Dara sigh.

“I can’t help it..”

“If you want our help, just say the magic words…” Bom pat her head lightly.

“No… I just have to find my courage somewhere~” Chaerin said and smile weakly.

“That’s the spirit~~~” Dara clasp her hand.

 “Urghhh, enough for now, let’s just put everything aside and focus on us now. We’re in New York for god sakes. The city that never sleeps! Let’s go crazy for now… Forget about Korea...” Chaerin smile cheekily at her best friends before all of them start making excited squeals that earn few glances from the driver.

They arrived and all of them look stunning from head to toe. Apparently, the quartet is well known in their own way. Minzy as the lead dancer in one of the elite company in Korea aside from her famous mother whom was a famous contemporary dancer and her dad a renowned surgeon in Korea and Bom, as the famous Korean model who make a big name in overseas country because of her unique features and fabulous body.

Dara, need no introduction. A breakthrough actress who made a name not only in Korea but also in Philippine and now she had been scouted by western countries because of her fluent English and Chaerin, the talented photographer who travel worldwide and has mark her own name in the entertainment industry as a DJ who had been invited to several music fest to showcase her talent. She also has been invited to almost all of the hottest clubs in Korea to make havoc and of course her wide connection ranging from fashionistas, socialites, and people in the entertainment industry.

They enter the event making head turns probably because all of them are looking gorgeous or the way they dress themselves nicely from head to toe with pieces from famous designer brands or for the fact that they are among the few Asians who manage to get the V.I.P passes that enable them to rub shoulders and cheeks with Michel in person.

Chaerin excuse herself and quickly try locate her team there and identify Woobin from a far with two of their upcoming junior photographers.

“Hey, so how is it so far? Sorry I was late…” she greets them.

“Chae, you have nothing to worry… everything is under control…” Woobin smile.

“I’m not, I know you guys will do a great job…. Are you guys going back tomorrow?”

“We’re planning to stay for another day here, can we?”

“Sure, no problem... Take a walk around the city and bring along your cameras, try to sharpen your skills~” Chaerin directs it to the junior photographers and they happily nod. Chaerin then take a look at some of the photos they have taken and Woobin is right, she got nothing to worry at all. Woobin then order them to take more photos of the artworks and the VIPs that attend to this event.

“Looking gorgeous as ever Chae” Woobin speak close to her ear as the music starts to blaze.

Everybody in Seoul Nation knows that Woobin has a thing towards Chaerin but he never seems to make his move on her. Chaerin kind of knew about it but she has drawn a line between them because they are such good friends and she doesn’t want to ruin it. Woobin had accepted the fact that they can never be more than that and moved on.

“Thanks” she smiles. Cameras are clicking everywhere.

Suddenly a photographer come close to both of them and asking permission to take their pictures. Woobin has his left hand around her waist while the other is holding champagne. Chaerin move closer and strike a pose. She always makes a mental reminder that Bom had told all four of them

‘When there’s camera, always strike a pose, even when they are not taking pictures of you. Remember, there's nothing worst then having an ugly picture.’

"Chae, I heard you are patching things up with Soohyuk, is it?"

"What? who said that?" Chaerin frowns. words do travel like lightning in Seoul Nation.

"Nevermind if it's not true~"

"It's not true.. Woobin, seriously, you should stop hanging with those gossippers, people might question your ual orientation" she giggles.

"Do you want me to show how manly man I am?" Woobin playfully whisper to her ear making her cringe.

"Ewww, don't do that again, please..." there's the line again. Woobin just smile and shakes his head.

After having a small talk, Chaerin excuse herself to mingle around with other people equipped with her business card even when she doesn’t need one because of her popularity. Chaerin look around and saw her friends doing the same thing. Cameras are flashing everywhere and Chaerin has taken photos with countless of famous people.

Finally, they reunite back and all are ready to leave the event. Chaerin meet with her crew once more and after checking and giving points here and there, she told them that she’ll be leaving the event.

“So, ready for this?” Bom start dialling her phone and smiling cheekily at them. They are in the Alphard.

“Why do I feel like we’re getting ourselves into something dangerous~” Minzy sigh.

“Baby, it’s New York, nothing is safe here~” Chaerin winks and they giggle.

All the wine and champagne had started to make Chaerin high and excited for the night.

 

***************************************

 

 “Mom… please~”

“I said clearly to bring Chaerin for dinner right? I was expecting her…” Jungeum is nagging Jiyong at the dinner table while Jiyong exchange helpless glance with his father.

“Mom, are you not listening? She’s not here~~” he rolls his eyes.

“No eye rolling during dinner…” she sighs while looking at the seat beside Jiyong where Chaerin sat the other day.

“Mom, no nagging as well, didn’t you get the memo?” he teases his mom and chuckle together with  Junhee before stopping after getting a death stare from Jungeum.

“Honey, Chaerin can’t make it… she’s not in Korea~”

“Oh, how do you know dad?”

“Junghwan told me, she went to US for work and holiday …”

“Yup~” Jiyong confirm it and start munching on the food displayed on the table.

“Hmm, I wish she could come my daughter in law…”

Jiyong choked profusely over hearing his mother’s words “Mom, stop being ridiculous~”

“Honey, you’re killing our son…”

“What? Oh come on… you look happy in that picture you send me the other day…”

“Mom.. I look happy in a picture with aunty but that doesn’t mean I want to marry her~” he rolls his eyes, referring to their help in the house.

“True… true…” Junhee nod his head.

“Can you both not team up against me…”

“Mom, we just want you to get your feet back on the ground…”

“Mmmmhmmm” Junhee once again nod his head while munching his food.

“Well, then answer this one question…. Are you not interested in her?” Jungeum asked and Junhee stop eating and listen to what Jiyong about to say.

The looks on his parents eyes is the air around him and how on earth can he say ‘yes, I want her’ to them. He would rather die than saying something that could be used against him especially by his mother. He knows she will start plotting something that would probably embarrass him in some ways.

“Let’s just eat, can we… and mom before you say something again, I will not come here next time if you start talking about ridiculous things…”

“B-but…”

“Epppp.. eppp.... No mom…”

“But I just…”

“No buts mother~” he finally get a hold of the situation.

“Fine!” she pouts and starts eating her food unsatisfied with his answer and Jiyong smirk.

Junhee smile proudly at his son counter attack but hides it immediately when Jungeum stare at him.

“I hope she’s eaten…. Aigoo, it’s almost winter, is US going to be cold?? I hope not…. Ah… I’m worrying too much aren’t I?” she looks at both the man of her life.

“You think? If I go missing someday, you probably wouldn’t even notice….” Jiyong pretend to be hurt and rubs his chest.

“Of course not my son… your dad would tell me…” she teases him.

“Mother mother… you should learn how to prioritize….” He chuckles.

“I am…” she smiles meaningfully. The two men exchange glances and shrug their shoulder.

They finish dinner and sit in the living room to talk more about their lives. Jiyong invites them to his fashion show that’s happening soon and Jungeum spazz when she knew that Chaerin would be the official photographer during that day. Jiyong honestly is happy knowing that his mom took a liking towards Chaerin. He is very particular in having his mom to approve the person he likes before pursuing and in Chaerin’s case, his mom is more than happy.

*Rinnnngggg

“Oh, excuse me…” Jiyong stand up to excuse himself to receive the call.

He goes to their backyard that is link with their living room and sit on one of the couch there.

“Hello hyung…”

“Jiyong, hello, is this a bad time?” Seunghyun said on the other line.

“No… no, what’s up?”

“Oh… I don’t know if this sounds weird, but are you free? I’m having a drink at K-bar, want to join me?”

“Oh…. Yeah… sure, I’ll see you 9.30 like that? I’m at dad’s… might take a while…”

“No worries, sorry for the short notice though…”

“Don’t worry about it…” he ended the call and went back inside. Jiyong is a little surprised with that call from Seunghyun and kind of anxious but he just brush it off thinking Seunghyun proably wants to bond with him.

“My beloved parents, I have to go …”

“Why so early?” Jungeum shows her protest.

“I thought you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter