The Family Affair

Let's Play With Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jiyong was worried that it would get awkward between the two of them just hanging out. Yes, they have spent time together but it was all with purpose. The fake date, the contract and car ride to the doctor and so on but never have they spent time together for the sake of just hanging out like now.

It is unusual, instead of wine, they sip on orange juice and instead of just having a talk, they play jengga which is Chaerin’s idea. Sitting on the floor side by side, they seem so close with each other.

“Your move~~~~~~please fall please fall please fallllll” Chaerin mumbles while her eyes closed, this is their third round and it’s getting more intense. Jiyong is so good with this game that she feel intimidated by him.

“Shhhh, stop pressuring me…” he stares at the block and carefully removes the middle part.

They made a deal, when it’s getting more intense they will call out whether the other person will succeed or not removing the block. So if the person succeed, the winner get to ask the loser a question that must be answered.

“Yes!!!! I’m GD, baby… I get to ask you a question~” Jiyong smirk.

“There’s nothing you haven’t ask yet~” she rolls her eyes. It’s true, they have asked every possible question about the other person from questions like “have you ever farted in public before?” to “When was your first kiss”.

Except… “Who is Soo hyuk and what is his connection with you?” Jiyong asked and he couldn’t help but notice the slight change in her expression.

"What?"

"I'm just curious... you remember when you splashed me? He was there...."

“Oh..."

"Are you okay with this question?"

"Yeah... he's just someone from my past….” Chaerin said while putting up a bitter smile. She knows sooner or later this question might come up so she’s not too surprised. Instead, she was expecting this long ago.

“That’s not good enough~” Jiyong glance over the wall and saw the clock indicating that it’s 30 minutes to 5am.

“He’s my ex….” She said flatly.

“Hmm” he nods. He is itching to ask about what he saw at the café but that going to raise another question.

“He’s my bittersweet memory and will remain in the past…” she explains to clear the air.

“What cause your break up?” Jiyong trying to get more detailed information.

“Hmm… Maybe we’re in love at a very young age, so when difficulties come to us, we didn’t know how to handle it well.. But I can say, he thought me a lot of things and I’m really grateful~” Chaerin stare blankly ahead, reminiscing.

“Have you ever…. Missed him?” Jiyong asked.

“Well, not him… but the feeling of being love and care by someone… sometimes.. Yeah, sometimes…”

“You’re capable of finding another man… why don’t you? Still not ready yet?” Jiyong ask her.

“I’m waiting for you to make a move~” Chaerin said with a serious expression before bursting into a big laughter. She had no idea how her words just now made him speechless.

“I was just kidding~” she giggles giddily in contrast with her feelings inside. She almost confessed to him. Chaerin pull her hair into a messy bun while Jiyong is watching her and trying hard not to say anything that might ruin the moment.

“Your joke is not funny” he rolls his eyes, pretending that he wasn’t affected.

“I know… sorry” she smiles.

“Okay, your move~” he continue with the game.

“Pass or fail?” Chaerin snap her fingers.

“Definitely fail! There’s no easy move…. You fail during this moment last game~” Jiyong mocks her.

“Hey hey, don’t get too full of yourself mister.. My muscle wasn’t warm enough just now~” she look at the blocks, determine to not lose, again.

“Total bs~” he scoff.

“BS?”

“Bull..” he laugh and Chaerin just glare at him.

Chaerin study the blocks in front of her, and focus her attention to the hardest block but if she nailed it, it wouldn’t be a chance for Jiyong to make his next move.

“Choose wisely~” he teases her when he saw the block she’s aiming for.

Chaerin ignore him and put her whole attention to the piece of block. It is so nerve wrecking, every time she gives it a slight push, the block waver left and right. The tension is felt by Jiyong as well. Both of them hold their breath when Chaerin give the final push and pull the block slowly. Both of them gasp when the block threatening to fall but didn’t, she did it but it’s not finished yet. She needs to stack it on top. Slowly she places the piece and their eyes widened when Chaerin let go of her hold and watch for few seconds.

“Yes!!!!! I am the queen of Jengga!!” she claps her hand excitedly and look at Jiyong who is pretending to not be amazed by the whole thing.

“What do you want to know?” he sips on the orange juice.

“Well, since you asked about my past, it’s only fair if I asked yours back~” she hesitant when she said those words and Jiyong sigh looking to his side where Chaerin is.

“Well, if it’s too much, it’s okay…” she scratches her chin to think about another question and Jiyong lean back to the couch.

“Her name is Sohee..” he mumbles quietly.

Chaerin bite her lips and slowly lean back, touching her shoulder with Jiyong’s. She turns to look at him who is staring at the ceiling.

“I loved her, cared for her, she used to be my world, the person whom I trust the most. This may sound cheesy, but she made me smile, she’s my happiness…” he smile and Chaerin swallow the lump in . She never thought that hearing this would be so hard for her. She doesn’t want to know this. Chaerin wants to stop him from saying anymore but that would make her look pathetic.

“After all those years we shared together, one day, she left me…” he puts on a smile, a smile with different meaning, a devastated smile. He turns his gaze to the Jengga while Chaerin is still watching him. Chaerin saw yet another different side of him. He looks so vulnerable and it makes her want to touch his hands.

“But… like you said… it was all in the past… Now, it’s a different story~” he look at her meaningfully but Chaerin doesn’t understand.

“I bet Sohee must have a very strong reason on why she left you…” ‘Chaerin, what the hell are you saying? You have to say ty things about her!’

“I don’t care anymore…” he look into her eyes.

“Really? Even if one day Sohee come back and explain why she left and it turn out to be a very strong reason that you are able to patch things up, would you… get back to her?” Chaerin instantly wants to close her ears or run to her apartment because she doesn’t want to know the answer.

Jiyong look deeper into her eyes and Chaerin does the same. Jiyong have asked himself that question. Now he wonders if it happens, would he? Chaerin’s heart is pounding, waiting anxiously for his answer. Suddenly, the jengga block falls down startling both of them. Chaerin is somewhat thankful of that but at the same time still very anxious for his answer.

“The game has finished~” Chaerin mumbles.

“Another round?” Jiyong said and Chaerin shakes her head.

“It’s okay… it’s almost five, oh god, you will be so drain at work today… and I officially haven’t bath for 24hours…” she chuckles.

“No wonder I smell something funny from you~”

“Yah!” she smack his arm lightly and Jiyong chuckles.

“Are you not going to work?”

“Oh, Teddy oppa asked me to stay at home. I just need to email him my report, which I already did…” she stretches and yawns.

“Hey, you should call me oppa too~” he poke her arm.

“I will… when the time is right~” she smile playfully.

How Jiyong wishes that this would not end soon. Spending time with Chaerin is addicting but of course, the reality is, they have other commitments. Everything went back to normal. After cleaning up the mess and helping Jiyong to wash the glasses, Chaerin make her way to the main door.

“Emm, are you free this Saturday?” Chaerin turns around to Jiyong who is behind her.

“I have to go to the office in the morning to monitor the fittings…”

“Are you busy the whole day?”

“I’ll try to come back at 4, but if I’m not here, you can just carry on…”

 “Oh…” Chaerin sounds slightly disappointed.

“Why? What’s up?”

“Actually, I can’t come this Saturday”

“Why??” Jiyong frowns “You’ve been taking lots of leave of absence~” truth is, he just miss seeing her there.

“That day is important to me… it’s my mom’s anniversary, I wanted to invite you to my family home for small dinner, but you’re busy… so…”

“Oh… what time?”

“It’s in the evening, we’re going to her grave in the morning to offer her prayers and her gift~” she smile.

“I can come if it’s in the evening” he assured her.

“Are you sure?” she lifts her eyebrow.

“Yes…”

“Perfect! Please tell your parents as well, it’s just a small dinner for remembrance…”

“Are your minions going to be there?” Jiyong asked playfully. If Dara is there, he can ask Youngbae to join him.

“This time, it’s just Bom… the rest are tied with their own commitments… and hello sir…. Stop calling them my minions~” she rolls her eyes and start walking to her door.

“Hey Chae…. Just now was quite entertaining…. Playing with a kid is fun” he teases her.

“Yah~ am not!” she pouts at him.

“That right there is a five year old behaviour~” she chuckles because she knows it’s true.

“You know what, this is my first time after 5 years playing Jengga again… and I never imagined that I would have fun playing it. Moreover, with you…” she lean on her door.

“People can have lots of fun just by sitting down doing nothing if it’s with the right person” he said, flustering Chaerin with his words.

“I couldn’t agree more~ I hope you’re not going to be cranky at work due to lack of sleep…” she teases him.

“I would rather spend time with you rather than sleeping” he mumbles.

“What?” Chaerin frowns, she could not hear what he said.

“I said, get a good rest, enjoy for today~”

“Oh… yeah thanks… wish I can say the same thing to you~” she smile cheekily and wave before closing her door.

‘Damn it… Lee Chaerin, what have you done to my heart~’ Jiyong closed his door and rub his chest all the way to his bedroom.

 

*****************************

 

Jiyong was a little bit late when he came to work this morning, but he was all smiles causing yet another stir among the employees to see his bright mood. Youngbae and Seungri knows why he is in a good mood. It’s because of a person named Chaerin who is back.

Jiyong, Youngbae, Seungri and two of the senior designer are in the casting room, analysing the walk and poses by the appointed models and there’s Soohyuk among them as well.

Seeing him, Jiyong suddenly feel intimidated by his presence. The man who was once Chaerin’s boyfriend. The person who have touched, kiss, hug and cuddle with Chaerin. Jiyong feel more irritated knowing that they have been intimate before,where she will cook for him and he would tell her his jokes and make her laugh.

“Hey~ So?? What do you think?” Jiyong snapped back from reality and he look at the rest of them who is staring at him weirdly.

“What was that?”

“We were talking about the models, so what do you think?” Youngbae repeats.

“Oh… erm, one more time please~” he said and Youngbae nods.

Youngbae asks for the models to walk for them once more and this time Jiyong pays full attention to it. Putting aside his personal feelings. After they have done, Jiyong points out his professional comments on some of the model and change the outfits for some of the models. Wrapping up by thanking all of the models, Jiyong approach Soohyuk.

“Hey~”

“Hey man… we haven’t hang in a long time~” Soohyuk said and Jiyong smile slightly and study his face.

‘Damn! That wild brat had set her standard so high’ Jiyong sigh.

“What’s wrong?” Soohyuk look at his friend.

“Oh.. Nothing, want to go to the café?”

“Yeah sure~” Soohyuk glance at his watch briefly before agreeing.

They arrived at the café outside the building and Jiyong immediately order his regular.

“Are you ready for your big show?” Soohyuk starts the conversation when they settled.

“Pretty much.. Glad you can help us out~”

“No sweat, I’m getting paid anyway~” he joke.

“Yeah~” Jiyong chuckles.

“So…. What’s new?” Soohyuk turn to look at Jiyong who look a little bit unusual. His facial expression indicates that he is troubled by something.

“Same old same old~~ you? I heard you hooked up with someone…” Jiyong made up a story before he could ask about the real reason why he invites him for coffee.

“Someone? No man… I stopped hooking up with women~”

“Are you hooking up with men now?” he chuckles.

“No man~ I want to be in a serious relationship now…” he said slowly making Jiyong uneasy in his seat.

“Come on~~ you?? Stop saying bull..” Jiyong fake a laugh.

“I’m serious…”

“Why?”

“Why?” Soohyuk ask him back.

“Yeah why… you are the one who asked me to enjoy being single and play around with women for as long as you can because you said being in a relationship …”

“People change.. what I said… erase that..”

“You’re serious about this, aren’t you?” Jiyong sigh.

“I am… if I can tackle her back, I would get married immediately”

“You have someone in mind already?” Jiyong swallow the lump on his throat.

“Yes… and I’m determined to get her back…”

“She must be so special…” Jiyong feel heavy in his chest. He can feel the heat going against Soohyuk. Who doesn’t? He has the looks, the charm and his presence. He doesn’t need to do much with a woman to get into their pants.

“Yeah….” He smiles.

Having this talk with Soohyuk really opens up Jiyong perspective. He realized that Chaerin is one in a million and is precious to his heart. Soohyuk didn’t even mention her name once in their conversation but he knows who Soohyuk refers to when he said ‘the woman with mesmerizing eye smile who has a clean freak complex’. Hearing other man describing Chaerin is so disturbing and not easy to hear. This knocks him some senses that he has to make a move, soon.

 

*****************************************

 

Chaerin is in her office, resting her eyes. If others feel Monday as the most dreading day to go to work, for Chaerin, it’s Wednesday. Wednesday is the day where they have early morning briefing, idea display and presentation from junior staff and also it’s the day where most of the vip customers are scheduled to meet with the team. When mention about vip customers, it means more particular and very meticulous customer who wouldn’t settle for less. As much as she loves her job but when it’s time to deal with this type of customers, headache will usually attack her.

“Chae~ umm, sorry to disturb you…” Chaerin press the intercom when it’s blinking.

“What~~~~ another customer?” Chaerin replied to Jackie with an

“No… there’s someone on line 2…”

“Who is it?”

“He goes by the name of Hyukie?”

“Hyukie? I don’t know a person with that name…” she answers.

“He said, he’s an old friend?”

“Old friend? Oh! Okay let it through….” Chaerin realized who it is and pick up her phone.

“Hyukie? Seriously?” she chuckles.

“You used to call me that…” Soohyuk chuckles.

“Hmm… what is it? Why are you calling me at the office?”

“Well, I’m afraid if I call you at you cell, you wouldn’t reply or answer my call.. I’ve been trying to get back to you since the other night… but you never answer my calls or text…. Are you avoiding me?” Soohyuk directy says it to Chaerin.

“Huh? Oh… there’s something wrong with my phone the other day… you know me.. I don’t answer any unrecognized numbers~” she had to lie. She purposely ignores his calls before.

“Oh…okay, anyways.. Are you free tonight?”

“Hmm… I’m kind of busy with work…”

“Oh… tomorrow night?”

“I have photo shoot tomorrow and it’s going to finish up late…”

“Friday? This weekend? Any day?” Soohyuk sounded down. He realized she is turning down his invitation and it’s not a go

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter