The Confession

Let's Play With Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“What are you doing here?” Chaerin is beyond shocked when she saw Soohyuk standing in front of her door. She opens it when she heard her doorbell rings thinking that it was Bom after receiving her text saying she wants to come to her place to talk about Dara.

“Chae~”

“Leave, I don’t want to talk to you..” Chaerin close the door but Soohyuk successfully prevent her from doing that.

“I just need a minute~” he look into her eyes. Chaerin stare at him with anger after what happened last night, he is the last person on earth she would want to see today.

“What” she fold her arms and stand firmly in front of Soohyuk giving no sign to let him enter her premise.

“I’m sorry for what happened last night~” he glance at the light bruise at the corner of her lips and the scratch on her neck and closes his eyes.

She shows no change in her expression and throws away her gaze to someplace else.

“I lost it last night Chae, I know I have no right to ask for your forgiveness… but I am truly sorry.. I was drunk” he sigh.

“Yeah, blame it on the alcohol” she scoffs and continue when Soohyuk brush his hair lightly. “I never knew you would do something like that to me Soohyuk, I can’t look at you the same way anymore…” Chaerin sounded so disappointed that it breaks his heart.

“I understand…. Truth is, I still have faith on us.. But I know, after what happened last night, chances are it will never happen. That’s why I came here to apologize before I leave this place, before I leave Korea…” he said.

Chaerin was taken aback when he heard Soohyuk mention about leaving and stay silent. Her expression softens a bit.

“You’re leaving?” she said slowly.

“Yes, to Paris..”

Part of Chaerin felt a little bit saddened by that fact but she’s relief to know that Soohyuk is finally moving on with his life. They stay silent for a while, not knowing what to say to each other in that situation.

“Chae?”

Both of them turn to their side and saw Jiyong carrying a plastic bag glaring at Soohyuk.

“Didn’t you process what I said last night?” Jiyong march forward to Soohyuk. Chaerin is alert with Jiyong’s posture that looks like he wants to attack him.

“He’s just leaving, oppa” Chaerin quickly stands in between them and block Jiyong by placing her hands on his chest. Jiyong stops when he heard ‘oppa’.

Her touch seems to calm Jiyong and he look at her briefly before turning his attention back at Soohyuk. Soohyuk studies the behaviours in front of him and can read the situation instantly.

“I’m sorry for everything” Soohyuk exchange his gaze at both of the person he lost in one night, a good friend and his love.

Jiyong scoff and shakes his head while Chaerin turn back to face him.

“I wish you luck for your future~” Chaerin mumble slowly.

“Take care of her” Soohyuk smile weakly and pat Jiyong’s shoulder before leaving the couple alone in the hallway.

Jiyong trail him with the corner of his eyes until he completely disappear from their view.

“Are you okay?” he turns to her. He can’t help but glance at the slight bruise on her lips.

“Mmmhmm..” she smiles. Everything is okay now that Jiyong is here and knowing that Soohyuk will move on with his life, she felt like a heavy weight has just been lifted off of her.

“I brought food~” Jiyong show her the plastic bag that he’s carrying. He’s glad seeing that Chaerin is better than last night. The image of her terrified face kept him awake the whole night and he’s not getting a good sleep worrying about her.

“Would you like to come in?” she raised her eyebrow.

“Of course, but if you need time alone…..”

“Oppa, I just invited you in~” she rolls her eyes.

“You call me oppa…” his smiles widen.

“I can call you Jiyong if you prefer that” she turns around playfully leading the way into her apartment.

“No! Oppa it is~” he smirk, following her footsteps.

Chaerin grab the plastic bag and without waiting for her instruction, Jiyong set the table and Chaerin prepare the food.

“I know you like spicy food, but….” He stop and Chaerin know what he’s about to say. She touched the corner of her lips and smiles a little.

“These foods are fine, you don’t have to do all this…”

“But I want to… does it still hurt?”

“My heart hurts more but now it’s better… thank you~” she smile and was about to pick her chopstick when Jiyong reached for her hand.

“Why did he come to meet you?” he sounds concern. Chaerin look at their hands briefly before looking at him making him fluster and release her hand slowly.

“He wants to apologize….”

“and?”

“And he’s saying goodbye…”

“Goodbye?”

“He’s leaving Korea… to Paris..” she take the strands of her hair that is out of place and place it to the back of her ear.

Jiyong look at Chaerin “What do you feel about that?”

“I think it’s for the best….” She replied and pick up her chopstick. Chaerin slowly eat the food and munch slowly. Jiyong felt relief hearing her say that. In fact, he was hoping for her to say that.

“Are you not eating oppa?”

Jiyong breaks his gaze from her and smile while looking at her.

“What?” she frown.

“Say again…”

“Say what?”

“Oppa.”

Chaerin rolls her eyes and continue eating. Jiyong pick up his chopsticks and smile.

“Eat well oppa~” Chaerin said without looking at him. He looks at her briefly before continuing with his meal, smiling from ear to ear.

They finish lunch while having brief conversation here and there. Talking about something aside from what had happened last night. After cleaning up, Chaerin invite him to the living room to rest for a while.

“I’ll come to your place a bit late… Bommie is coming to talk about Dara..”

“You don’t need to come today~” Jiyong make himself comfortable on her couch beside her. He turns his body facing her and gaze at her.

“You need to stop treating me like this…” she sighs.

“What?” he asked, clueless.

“You make me feel… different~ every time something came up, you treat me like this…” she mumbles quietly and Jiyong notice her suddenly occupied with her fingers.

“Like what?” Jiyong plays dumb.

“Like… different from usual~” Chaerin goes around the bush.

“Such as?”

“Like I’m special~” tired of not saying things directly, she gives up.

“You are special….” Jiyong gave her that look, that look that manages to make her heart race, every time.

“In what way?” for the first time, Chaerin brave herself to ask that question.

“Isn’t it obvious?” Jiyong replied and he knows she’s not satisfied with his answer.

“Obvious what?” her tone confirms his thought about her and he smile playfully.

“Some people are slow… It’s okay, it takes time before you truly understand~” he chuckles, loving every moment seeing Chaerin in that position. Remembering what Dara told him the other night makes him surer of it by the way she’s acting right now. Playing with her fingers, running away from his gaze and tucking her hair behind her ears repeatedly.

“Yah~ Kwon Jiyong…” she’s irritated by his cryptic answers.

“What?” he reply nonchalantly.

“Fine… whatever… you can leave now, Bommie is coming anytime soon…” she turns on the television, ignoring his presence.

“Okay, then I’ll be going~” he chuckles seeing her sulk.

“You know your way out…” she said without looking at him.

Jiyong smile and make his way to her door, Chaerin is biting her lips hoping that he will turn around and say something at her. When he finally turns around, Chaerin quickly fixed her gaze at the television, pretending to be interested at the documentary about dolphins.

“Chae~” he calls out a few times until Chaerin turn her attention at him and mute the television.

“What?” she said monotonously.

“I’ll tell you when the time is right…” he uses her words against her and quickly close her door preventing Chaerin from saying anything at him.

“Idiot..” she smile and continue to watch the show with his words keep replaying in her mind.

 

 

*******************************

 

 

Chaerin wore her turtle neck, at least she could hide it from Bom but she cannot escape from her suspicion about the bruise at the corner of her lips. After meeting with Chaerin at her apartment, they went to a secluded homestay where Bom finally manage to drill Donny with back to back question, making him trapped thus, telling Bom everything about Dara’s condition and her whereabouts.

Bom settled with Chaerin answer that she accidentally got knocked by a drunken woman on the dance floor when she was dancing with Jay, that’s where she got the bruise. Linking their arms together, both are shivering slicing through the cold breeze when they walk towards the homestay. Greeted by a woman aged at her early 50’s, they tricked her into calling Dara to the front after she said that Dara doesn’t want to meet with anyone. Bom told her that Chaerin is a cancer patient and wants to meet with her before she takes her final breath. They know Dara has a soft spot for something like this.

“Really Bom? Why not you’re the one who’s dying….” Chaerin whisper, irritated after the woman gone to Dara.

“You look the part~ you look pale and you even have that nasty bruise~” Bom points at her lips.

“At least make it sounds less horrifying” Chaerin rolls her eyes.

“It’s going to work~ trust me~” Bom studies the decoration at the waiting area and point at a big creepy painting of an old lady side profile.

Chaerin glance over and rolls her eyes when Bom look at it creepily. They turn their attention when they heard footsteps coming their way, they know it’s Dara and they are right.

“That useless manager~” Dara mumbles to herself when she saw her best friends lurking at the area. They hurriedly went to her and sandwiched her in between. Dara can’t lie, she’s beyond happy to see them.

“Can I just smack you? Why are you running away from us?” Bom glare at Dara.

“I just want to be alone, I need to think properly~”

“Before you do anything… we need to talk~” Chaerin look her in the eye and Bom nods.

Dara exchange her glances between the two of them and fixed her gaze at Chaerin.

“What happen?” Dara points at Chaerin’s bruise.

“A lot~” Chaerin sigh.

Dara led them to her room to have more private moment where they can talk about stuff. Typical Dara in distress, boxes of tissues are in the dustbin, the stacks of love story CDs are on the small coffee table next to her laptop and of course, the chocolates. Lots and lots of them.

“How are you doing?” Bom grab one of the chocolate and stuff it in while takes place next to Chaerin on Dara’s bed.

“We broke up~” Dara said nonchalantly while taking off her scarf and hanging it in her wardrobe.

“Dara~” Chaerin said in disbelief while exchanging looks with Bom who stopped munching.

“Yup…”

“When did you meet him?” Bom asked.

“I didn’t… I seek help from Jiyong…” Dara stand in front of them at the edge of the bed but haven’t make any eye contact yet.

“You have to talk with him…. there’s an explanation~” Chaerin says carefully.

“What? That he slept with that ?” she scoff.

“No… Dara…” Bom sigh.

“What? Do you expect me to go and meet him and hear him say that to my face? No… hell no, seeing that picture is enough to torn my heart into pieces” finally Dara breaks in front of them. She covers her face with her palm and Bom quickly went to her and hug her. Chaerin bite her lips, she knows it’s not her place to say anything but right now, it’s out of the question.

“Babe, oppa didn’t sleep with that woman…” Chaerin said and Dara stopped sobbing. Everythi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter