Ninety one

Reasons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ninety one

 

It was a well-known, universal claim that woman are better with remembering dates, leaving their partners to look bad. Most men learn that forgetting certain dates are easily forgiven. Others, however, are sacred. Forgetting them can lead to an untimely death with a kitchen knife. Wedding anniversaries and birthdays are among those sacred dates.

 

That’s why he made sure never to forget Suzy’s birthday. He sets reminders on his mobile for it, habitually a month before, and makes sure to steadily prepare for it. The celebrations were often far more than she expects, but it was always fun to get spoiled by him.

 

As her birthday drew closer, Seung gi was perfectly calm. He knew everything was under control, and that she’ll absolutely love it. He had reserved a dinner date at a prestigious restaurant. It was a very famous and elegant one that they had never been to before.

 

He always made her feel special, but he knew that this time, she’ll feel like royalty.

 

---

 

“You still can’t come up with anything?” Yonghyuk asked.

 

“Yes” Seung gi replied. His voice was clearly depressed.

 

“I thought you already prepared everything”

 

“I did” he thought back to the wonderful celebration he had in mind as he made little polka dots on some poor student’s essay with his biro.

 

His well made plans were ruined two days before her birthday. He called the restaurant for confirmation, only to discover that the assistant made the arrangement for November the 10th. It wasn’t even possible to call it a delayed party; she’d already be a month old by then, technically speaking.

 

The first birthday she had with him was at a pastry shop with her friends back in college. It was simple and so ideal to her. Afterwards, he took her out for a short stroll under the Seoul skies.

 

Ever since he saw how happy she looked that day, he claimed it his mission to outdo himself every time.

 

This year would be the exception. He sighed as he thought about it.

 

“Why don’t you try something simpler?”

 

“I can’t. The bar is too high for something simple”

 

“She’ll probably prefer something cosy anyway” Yonghyuk told him as he snatched the essay. “How about the cake, what did you pick?”

 

The stunned, panicking appearance, widening eyes and look of pure horror assured Yonghyuk that the poor lady wasn’t likely to get a cake.

 

“You’re leaving early today?”

 

“I’m leaving early today”

 

---

 

Seung gi spent the day exploring the pastry windows, finally finding a perfect cake for her. It was incredibly sweet in his opinion, a little white and blush chevron cake with golden bow on top, close to where her name will go.

 

His inner peace was finally restored after he held the cake to the car. He also found the perfect spot at a little diner. It wasn’t as classy as the one he found at first, and she might not feel like royalty, but she’ll still be his princess.

 

His phone rang just as he was putting the cake in the back seat. It was the ringtone she threatened him with a fork to use for her.

 

“Oh…oppa” he heard her sighing over the line; he could tell there was something wrong by her tone. She faintly explained that she couldn’t take a leave from work for tomorrow's evening like he asked her to, as they didn’t have anyone to replace her. She apologized for ruining the date, telling him that she really, really didn’t mind not having a birthday that year.

 

He was starting to think that maybe it wasn’t meant to happen after all; perhaps he should call back about the November 10th arrangement.

 

---

 

She held his hand as they walked to the park together. It was evening and she had just finished her hours a while ago.  “I’m sorry you had to wait for me”

 

“I’m sorry I couldn’t give you a proper birthday” he replied.

 

She shook her head and snuggled close to his left arm. “It doesn’t matter. Any day wi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter