Chapter 88

Virtual Heart Shape Means Love?

If he is going to be honest, it hasn’t left his mind. It hasn’t entirely left his mind even when Kyuhyun called his name after again weeks, even when Kyuhyun told him he loves him, and even when Kyuhyun kissed him for all the world to see. It hasn’t entirely left his mind because he knows that at the end of the day, it is still a reality he needs to face.

He was supposed to leave that morning. He left the place he has known home so early this morning because he was supposed to leave the country, he was supposed to leave the people, he was supposed to leave the place, and he knows he was supposed to leave the feelings, too. But maybe that’s the fun part in what we call the future. It’s never determined. It’s never really set. Sometimes no matter what the plans are, no matter how much we try to predetermine or decide what is going to happen, fate or the heavens will show us that no one is in control.

No one.

Last night, after he got home from the choir competition, probably a hundred emotions still on the verge of breaking free from his heart after winning the duet competition with Kyuhyun for the choir, and not being able to say even goodbye to him until the end, to the person he bet everything to keep safe, to the person he is still betting everything to be happy and to be in peace until the end, there’s no allusion that this could happen today. There’s not even a dream that maybe, just maybe, things will begin falling into place. Maybe not where they should be but where they could be.

This morning, when he was leaving for the airport with one bag he believed contain everything he needs to bring to Amsterdam, passport and boarding pass on his hand, he thought he already gave up everything in this place. Being happy. Being who he is.

Kyuhyun.

But just when you think you are beginning to figure out what’s going on with your life, life would then toss and throw you again something you never thought of and would remind you who the real boss is. Such as this moment, Jongwoon thinks.

He hears his father. As a matter of fact, he is looking at him now.

But he also knows that Kyuhyun is standing beside him, probably trying to reach for his hand but failing miserably so because of the presence of his father. He understands how scared he might still be right this moment but he also appreciates the leap of faith he already took for him – because he loves him.

Kyuhyun holds his hand, which surprises him, more than he thought he would be.

He immediately turns to look at him.

Kyuhyun has a soft gaze on him, like he is telling him that he’s there now no matter what, that he’ll hold his hand now no matter what, that’s he’ll stay beside him now no matter what, that he loves him no matter what. He gives his hand a gentle squeeze before smiling at him.

Jongwoon nods, smiling back at him.

“Dad,” he turns to his father again, maintaining the calmness he thinks he mastered now even though his heart is beating erratically. He thinks nowadays, his heart gets tired not because of physical exertions but because emotional frustrations. Although now, it’s not because of emotional frustration but maybe, emotional exhilaration and confusion. “I know, it’s already late,” Jongwoon says, and he said that in many different implications, “but can you give me and Kyuhyun some time to talk alone? Please?”

He is about to add even just for five or ten minutes but it is another surprise when without further pleads, Mr. Kim nods his head and says, “The car is waiting outside. I’ll wait for you with your mother.”

Jongwoon slowly nods.

The entire gymnasium is slightly chaotic because of the win of their university’s team and the loss of the opposing university so it is a little troublesome leaving the gymnasium unscathed. And maybe, it’s another toss and throw of life to both Kyuhyun and Jongwoon because Kyuhyun’s parents find their way to where Kyuhyun, Jongwoon, and Mr. Kim are standing because they can’t move from their place due to some crowd still on their high because of the won and some crowd already on their moving on and moving home stage because their team lost.

Mrs. Cho immediately embraces his son, slightly teary-eyed, as she cries even before reaching Kyuhyun, “Congratulations, baby! Congratulations, baby! Congratulations, baby!” On normal circumstances, he thinks a child who is already a lawful adult would be embarrassed if his mother suddenly causes a commotion like that – like a reunion after ten years really even if the truth is they just saw each other the previous night but Kyuhyun can’t bring himself to be embarrassed. He just happily hugs his mother back.

“You played well, son!” Mr. Cho says, as proud as his wife.

Jongwoon and his father watches Kyuhyun and his parents. He is smiling even though he doesn’t have an idea if Kyuhyun’s parents has accepted this all. Then, when they are through with their little celebration by themselves of sort, they turn to look back at Jongwoon and his father again.

“I believe you’re Kim Jongwoon, son,” Mr. Cho speaks first, walking towards Jongwoon. “I’m Kyuhyun’s father. It’s nice to finally meet you.” He extends his right hand and Jongwoon accepts it.

“Kim Jongwoon, sir,” he politely replies.

“Kyuhyun isn’t usually stupid but he’s stupid about the more important matters unfortunately,” Mrs. Cho says. “He said he hurt you but if you have it in you to accept him again, son, I’ll appreciate it for the rest of my life.”

“Mom!” Kyuhyun widens his eyes on his mother.

“He said that?” Jongwoon turns to look from Kyuhyun and back to his mother. Then, he turns to Kyuhyun again, mystified, “You told them everything?”

“Not,” the younger begins, looking down and fiddling his feet where he’s standing. “Not everything. Just enough.”

“He told us he’s in love with you,” Mrs. Cho adds, smiling sweetly at Jongwoon. And he’s about to say something else when his son hollers again.

“MOM!” Kyuhyun seriously wants to put his mother to sleep for the moment.

“Well, aren’t you?!” his mother glares at him. “Aren’t you in love with him? Stop being stupid, Cho Kyuhyun! Do you want to lose him again? Do you?!” It’s like Mrs. Cho and Kyuhyun are just on their house and she is scolding his son for losing another pen because he’s been careless and there’s no one around but them. Mr. Cho finally walks towards his wife’s side and holds her shoulder, grinning at his son.

Mr. Kim and his son stares at the exchange, completely speechless.

Finally, Mrs. Cho sighs and looks genuinely concerned at his son. “Aren’t you in love with him?”

Kyuhyun gives up, looking up without another beat and saying straightly, “I am. I love him.” His mother is always going to be like that, loud and aggressive but above all, concerned about keeping him in his path, worried about him getting hurt, and he knows she just wants nothing but his happiness. He smiles sheepishly as he looks at Jongwoon, rubbing the back of his head.

Jongwoon can’t help slightly feeling embarrassed – crimson skin all over his face as he blinks several times at Kyuhyun confessing to him for like the fifth time already in ten minutes. It’s a little funny because they did kissed already. Not to mention in front of like a thousand people. But this is entirely new to him. Not meeting Kyuhyun’s parents but… being told he’s loved. Not once but many times. The feeling that he’s believed. Accepted. Loved. He looks down on the ground, biting the grin that’s forming on his lips.

It’s almost impossible to leave the gymnasium in peace so Jongwoon is more than surprised when his mother manages to enter the gymnasium. She immediately wraps his arms around his son and worriedly asks, “Are you alright? Are you alright?”

“Dear,” Mr. Kim immediately comes to his wife’s side.

“Mom,” Jongwoon says, surprised. He looks passed his mother to the crowd she got through in order to reach him and it’s a crowd indeed, yes. “I’m fine. Are you okay? How did you…”

“I told you to stay in the car,” his father calmly says to his mother.

“But you’re not coming back,” Mrs. Kim answers, wrinkles forming in her forehead. “I was worried.” Then, she turns to her son again and touches his face, “Are you really alright? Did that woman do something to you again?”

“No, mom. No,” Jongwoon shakes his head and holds his mother’s hand on his face. He smiles warmly and says with all his heart, “I’m okay, Mom. I’m okay.”

Mrs. Kim takes a long look at his son before finally stepping aside and composing herself. This time, it’s Kyuhyun and his parents who watch the exchange silently. She smiles at them and greets them, “Good evening. I’m Jongwoon’s mother.”

It’s a little amusing for both families to see Kyuhyun and Jongwoon with both of their parents face one another when less than twenty-four hours ago, everything is still practically, well, hell. It’s a little amusing to see them smiling at each other as if nobody tried killing someone because of a mistake in judgment, because of too much sadness and longing, and because they don’t want to let go.

But things change. Circumstances change. People change.

And sometimes, even if all of those things change, some feelings don’t.

“Hi, I’m Kyuhyun’s mother,” Mrs. Cho answers as warmly as Mrs. Kim’s greeting. Then, she steps and kisses Mrs. Kim’s cheek like they’re friends and they’ve known each other for a long time. She also takes that time to personally and genuinely say to both of Jongwoon’s parents, “I am so sorry that my son did something that really hurt your son. I want to apologize for my son’s action that brought pain to your son. And I know, as a parent, too, how much we wish for our child’s happiness. So it might be selfish for me to ask you this but my son loves your son very much. He’s stupid and really immature sometimes but he cares so much for your son,” Mrs. Cho says, smiling weakly despite everything she is saying. “It might be really selfish but if you’ll have it in you to accept my son as a person who truly loves your child, I’ll be forever grateful.”

It’s uncalled for and even Kyuhyun and his father never expected this but Jongwoon and his father also didn’t expect Mrs. Kim’s answer.

She genuinely smiles and reaches for Mrs. Cho’s hand. “It’s true that your son did things that hurt my child, that my son didn’t deserve,” she begins, her voice holding no hatred but only sincerity. “But what you said is true. As parents, we only wish for our child’s happiness. How could I not accept the person who loves my son if he finds it in him to accept him after everything?”

“I’m really, really sorry,” Mrs. Cho whispers after a moment, composing herself to keep her body from trembling as she hold Jongwoon’s mother’s hands.

Kyuhyun feels guilty because her mother still doesn’t know everything that happened but here she is apologizing for what her son did. And it’s not like he just hit a child in school or pulled a classmate’s hair this time.

He feels guilty and at the same time, joyful. After all, his mother is doing this for him. For his happiness. And what can parents not do for their child, really?

Suddenly, he steps forward, too, and formally bows to both of Jongwoon’s parents and of course, Jongwoon. “I’m sorry,” he apologizes with everything in him. With every letter in the words that say he regrets hurting Jongwoon, he means.

Jongwoon blinks because Kyuhyun already apologized and he doesn’t expect the entire exchange between his mother and Kyuhyun’s mother either. He is speechless and he doesn’t know what to say as Mrs. Cho casually wipes the stray tears threatening to fall from her eyes as she lightly hits her son’s head that is bowed down on him and his parents.

His mother helps Kyuhyun straighten up and she holds his face with both of his hands. She tells him with a kind smile, “My son loved you. He still does. If you’ll care for his heart as much as he does to yours from now on, hold his hand in front of many people and be proud to say that you love him no matter where or when like you did today, then there’s no need for apologies anymore.”

Kyuhyun nods, fighting the tears that are threatening to fall from his own eyes as his mother hits his head a couple of times. Then, his gaze turns to Jongwoon who is smiling back at him.

“And I believe we haven’t had the opportunity to apologize as well,” Mrs. Kim begins.

But Kyuhyun interrupts her, “There’s really no need…”

“For everything we did,” Jongwoon’s mother interrupts him again. “Those mistakes, those misunderstandings because of the grief that clouded our minds and hearts because of daughter’s death, those terrible things we did, we are so sorry.” Mr. Kim walks closer to express his sincerest apology, too. Everything that happened is done now and perhaps no one can do something to take it back. Those things that happened, those hurtful words that were said, but is it too late to apologize?

Never.

“What…” Mrs. Cho begins, totally confused and she can’t be blamed. Then, her mind automatically begins to put every piece of the puzzle together and she gasps, covering his mouth with both of her hands. “Kim Hyesung?”

“We’re so sorry,” Mrs. Kim says again, sobbing.

“What did you do to my son?”

“Mom,” Kyuhyun says, quickly coming to his mother’s side and holding her. “It’s okay. It’s okay, Mom. I’m okay. I’m okay.” He gives his mother a small smile and she calms down. She understands what this means to his son. “I’m okay, Mom,” he says again and there’s a silent plead in there that says ‘Let’s all be okay, Mom.’

They didn’t notice that the crowd has almost completely freed the gymnasium from the chaos and riot it has several minutes ago because of the game. After Kyuhyun’s mother has calmed down, it is all quiet and it’s not just quiet. It’s peaceful.

Jongwoon and Kyuhyun can’t even remember when the last time they’ve felt peace is.

Tranquility.

After everything that happened, there they are. With both of their parents. Apologies said. Feelings made known. Hope for the future. And hopefully, together.

It’s almost surreal – no, it’s really surreal that all of this is coming now. Yesterday, it all seems like only a dream for everything to fall into place and perhaps not everything has fallen into place because that would mean no war or discrimination in this world, right? Because there are wars even in the smallest hallways in schools and discrimination inside a house.

But something did fall into place and yesterday, it is all but a dream. It isn’t now.

Kyuhyun gazes at Jongwoon who is looking back at him, worried about Kyuhyun’s mother, as he holds his mother in his arms. There’s still in Kyuhyun’s face his smile of apology and regret but now, there’s this semblance of hope. He believes it’s visible in Jongwoon’s eyes as well and he smiles again. This time, they both have in their faces a smile of promise.