Chapter 3

Virtual Heart Shape Means Love?

Kyuhyun bids Sungmin, Donghae, Hyukjae and Ryeowook goodbye because his seventh to eighth period is his vacant time. Just like always, he decided to go to somewhere peaceful and quiet so he can text with Yesung. He knows Yesung’s vacant time is also his sixth and seventh period and Kyuhyun can’t help thinking if this is destiny bringing them together.

Well, if you’re in love, you can think of foolish things like what Kyuhyun is thinking without considering that there are about five hundred kids in the university who has the same vacant time as his and Yesung’s. So maybe, it isn’t destiny that Kyuhyun should be thankful for but the faculty who made their class schedules.

But Kyuhyun is too busy smiling at every text Yesung-text that he receives that even the math wizard of the university seems to be an idiot when it comes to love.

Yesung: Have you eaten yet?

Kyuhyun: I’ve eaten. ^^ How about you hyung? Have you eaten?

Yesung: Yes… I think? I’m not sure. >.<

Kyuhyun: Why’s that hyung? Is somebody holding hostage of your mouth and stomach?

Somewhere down the right wing of the university, somebody laughs that his professor almost caught him texting while in class.

Yesung: No! Kekeke… Have you eaten?

Kyuhyun: I already said yes hyung. ^^ Why?

Yesung: Well, I guess I’ve eaten, too.

Kyuhyun: What do you mean hyung?

Yesung: Because we’re connected. ^^ If you’re starving, I’m starving. If you’re full, I’m full. I’m you’re sleepy, I’m sleepy. If you’re sad, I’m sad. If you’re happy, I’m happy. ^^

Kyuhyun smiles like an idiot who’s in love and literally, “Awws,” on Yesung’s message to him, not knowing what to reply to Yesung. This always happens, Yesung catching Kyuhyun off guard that Kyuhyun is speechless (replyless? messageless? textless?).

Too busy thinking of what to reply to Yesung, Kyuhyun doesn’t notice that someone’s already hovering above him as he sits his back on one of the trees on the field. Kyuhyun likes there because one, nobody thinks that somebody will hang out there so less chance of having to talk to people while he can text with Yesung. And number two, it’s really scenic and peaceful and kind of romantic on the field. So it’s like he’s there with Yesung, even though Kyuhyun’s really not, but he really thinks he is, just through their messages.

“Who you’re texting, oppa?” It’s Sooyeon. She’s only one year younger than Kyuhyun and is a senior in the high school extension of the university.

Instead of answering, Kyuhyun answers with a snarl he didn’t mean. It’s just that he’s busy thinking what to reply to Yesung and then, Sooyeon suddenly shows her annoying self to him. “Why’re you here, Sooyeon? Don’t you have any classes?” he asks, because unlike the university students who have yes-and-no schedules, depending on what period do they have classes and vacants on, the high school pretty much has the same schedule for all. That means from second period up to tenth period, they have classes, excluding sixth period which is lunch time.

Sooyeon pouts and right then, Kyuhyun wants to leave her, because he absolutely hates it when Sooyeon pouts. He is not her father, he is not her brother and he is certainly not her boyfriend. If Kyuhyun will put it, he’s just her old neighbor and childhood friend. Why does she have to pout at him.

“Oppa, am I not allowed to see you?” Sooyeon mutters, playing with her fingers and looking like she’s about to cry.

“That’s not what I mean, Sooyeon,” Kyuhyun says urgently. “You have classes, don’t you? I just don’t want you missing your classes.”

“That’s not a problem, oppa! Our teacher’s out and she didn’t leave us anything to do so I thought I’ll see you instead,” Sooyeon chirps happily and Kyuhyun actually thinks, Damn teacher.

Kyuhyun feels his phone vibrate on his hands. Yesung must have been worried because he isn’t replying and if Kyuhyun can just stop time, he’ll do to escape Sooyeon and go somewhere quiet, without Sooyeon. But he can’t stop time and no matter how much he doesn’t like it, Sooyeon’s sstill hovering over him.

“Who are you texting, oppa?” Sooyeon asks again.

“Listen, Sooyeon, I’ve got to go,” Kyuhyun says, evading Sooyeon’s question and standing up from his used-to-be quiet, peaceful and relaxed sitting. “I remember I need to do something,” he says because he knows that he can’t lie about having classes already since Sooyeon knows his schedule, probably more than her own.

Sooyeon has liked Kyuhyun ever since they were children.

Kyuhyun hasn’t but he doesn’t have the heart to tell her that or to tell her than he already likes someone he met on his clan. A boy, Kyuhyun will say, and he can imagine Sooyeon’s world falling apart because yes, Sooyeon has probably thought that Kyuhyun will never like him as more than a childhood friend but a boy?

“Um, okay, oppa,” Sooyeon nods without her usual difficulty, straightening up and looking at Kyuhyun. “Oppa?”

Kyuhyun looks at her, fiddling with his phone of his pocket.

“Can you,” Sooyeon starts, fidgeting, “Will you come with me to the Thanksgiving Ball?”

Kyuhyun doesn’t know how to answer that because upon hearing about Thanksgiving Ball, all he ever thinks of bringing to the ball is Yesung and finally meeting Yesung, in flesh. He just hasn’t brought it up to the older man. But he can’t tell Sooyeon that, absolutely not, if he still wants to see her alive by tomorrow.

“I… I can’t, Sooyeon,” Kyuhyun finally says, not wanting to lie.

“Why, oppa? Are you bringing somebody else?” Sooyeon asks.

“No, no,” Kyuhyun immediately answers. “But I’m meeting someone on the ball. So, yes? I don’t know.”

He feels his phone vibrate again and before Sooyeon can question his even further, he says, waving at her and running towards the building. “I’ve got to go, Sooyeon. Get to your class, okay?”

Kyuhyun runs to the nearest restroom cubicle, where he can safely read his message and text. But looking at his phone, unfortunately, they aren’t messages from Yesung but from Sungmin:

Kyu, want to do precalc homework at my place later?

and Ryeowook:

Kyu~ ^^ Change of practice venue again!!! Rm 342. See you!!

Kyuhyun sighs and opens Yesung’s last message without replying to either Sungmin or Ryeowook. He doesn’t think he needs to reply to Ryeowook or Ryeowook’s waiting for his reply and he’s not sure about doing homework with Sungmin because Yesung will call him and he has to be on the safe vicinities of his house and his own room when that happens. It’s not always that Yesung’s calling and he doesn’t need unnecessary distractions.

Instead, he replied to Yesung:

Do you think we’re connected by the red string of fate, hyung?

It’s not much of a reply to Yesung’s message but Kyuhyun really, really wants, hopes, pray, wishes, and kind of expects that Yesung will answer yes.

Eight period passes and Yeusng hasn’t replied, yet.

Ninth period…

Tenth period…

Kyuhyun’s choir practice if from eleventh period to twelfth period and at exactly 5:02, he receives a reply from Yesung:

Yes, I think so, Kyu. ^^

Kyuhyun enters Room 342 a little later than 5:10, maybe because he’s too busy fixing his things from tenth period and waiting for Yesung’s reply, walking from the first floor to the third floor and thinking what will be Yesung’s reply and yes, basically, having his mind somewhere other than having to be in his choir practice on time.

So when he arrives, there’s no seat available on either side of Ryeowook. Ryeowook’s pretty popular with girls and Kyuhyun understands that. The guy is a gentleman but also gentle and very caring, and he can cook unlike Kyuhyun who’s culinary ability only extend to instant noodles.

He looks around and settles on the only available seat at the third and last row, beside someone familiar. It’s Kim Jongwoon from this first period class.

He’s a member of the choir, too?

Really?

But Kyuhyun hasn’t seen or noticed him before. The only time he notices Jongwoon is when Hyukjae and Donghae are laughing at him because of his weirdness but if he’s a member of the choir, he must have a pretty good voice. Not to brag but the university’s choir doesn’t get students who can sing. They get students who should sing because of their God-graced beautiful voices that other people should hear.

Kyuhyun sits beside him and Jongwoon doesn’t flinch.

It feels really awkward for Kyuhyun because he knows the guy and he knows that the guy knows him, too. So without much thinking, he turns to Jongwoon and says, “Hey.”

Kyuhyun thinks that Jongwoon looks more surprised than necessary. But Jongwoon kind of smiles a little that Kyuhyun thinks, Is this really the guy who’s talking to turtles at the turtle garden? Because well, Kyuhyun thinks he looks kind of cute.

“Hey,” it takes a while but Jongwoon replies before turning back to their maestro and smiling throughout the choir practice.

 

 

A/N: Hey, guys. It’s Hell Week for me but I’d seriously rather write than review anytime (but I’m reviewing for me exams, too, of course). Well, that’s why I’m here to say, please forgive the grammatical/typographical/all sorts of errors for now because I’ve only got time to write. Then, I’m already posting them. I’ll probably have time to edit them by weekend.

I’m enjoying writing this. Thank you guys for reading! I love you all, really!