Chapter 60

Virtual Heart Shape Means Love?

Kyuhyun confronts Sungmin first.

He doesn’t know if Sungmin already expected this, because Sungmin is almost as smart as Kyuhyun is, or if Sungmin has been waiting for this, but for someone who gets confronted, Sungmin is calm and he is collected when he answers Kyuhyun’s question in all truthfulness, because there’s no point in hiding it anymore, no point in protecting him anymore.

Besides, he deserves to know the truth.

For someone who’s been caught in the beginning, in the middle and in the end of things, and for that person to get robbed of a huge piece of his memory, he really deserves the truth now more than anything else.

“You got into an accident when we were on our last year in middle school,” Sungmin starts, looking at Kyuhyun’s eyes earnestly.

And that’s all Kyuhyun needs to hear.

“So, you knew?! You really knew and you kept it from me?!”

Sungmin looks away, because Kyuhyun is hurt. He is really, really hurt and the pain in Kyuhyun’s eyes is almost too visible for him to see. It hurts to see Kyuhyun that hurt.

“Why didn’t you tell me?!”

Kyuhyun knows he asked the same thing to Jongwoon, but he still can’t understand. He doesn’t understand why something that important to him has to be kept from him. It’s like someone stole something from him, something that not even he can give himself back.

“Why did you keep it from me?!”

“You were hurt, Kyuhyun. You were so hurt.”

“Did it change anything?” Kyuhyun asks in spite. “Did it change anything now?! Am I not getting hurt now?! Am I ing alright now?!”

“Kyu…”

“I…” Kyuhyun chokes out a sob as he looks down and wipes his eyes with the back of his hands. “I deserve to know the truth, hyung.”

Kyuhyun walks away. He walks away from Sungmin and he wants to walk away from life. Not that kind of walking away from life where he’ll pretend he’s bungee jumping from the building’s rooftop or he’ll tell himself that three bottles of sleeping pills are the newest candy in town. Kyuhyun might be depressed, and he might be devastated, and he should be really lonely now, but he isn’t suicidal.

But he wants the world to stop spinning for a moment. He wants time to stop moving forward and he wants life to stop momentarily.

He wants to think. He wants to remember. He wants to be alright again.

 

Then, there’s Sooyeon.

“Oppa,” Sooyeon whispers, trying to reach to Kyuhyun to Kyuhyun backs away.

“You knew, too.” It isn’t even a question anymore. “Of course,” Kyuhyun sarcastically chuckles to himself. “How could you not know? You’ve been with me since forever…”

Sooyeon gains the courage to look at Kyuhyun but she shouldn’t have because when he looks at Kyuhyun, she sees a Kyuhyun she doesn’t know. “Oppa,” she calls to Kyuhyun, but Kyuhyun is already walking away from her.

“I’m sorry, oppa,” Sooyeon whispers, even though Kyuhyun is long gone, even though Kyuhyun is no longer with her and he’ll never be able to hear her. “I’m so sorry, oppa.” She clutches her chest to stop it from practically jumping out of her chest. She closes her eyes as the scene of how broken, how wrecked and how shattered Kyuhyun was when he was told that Hyesung was dead came back to her.

It was too painful, so heartbreaking.

 

Kyuhyun asks his parents over the phone – not exactly the ideal way of confronting your parents about something you were, are so hurt about, about someone you couldn’t still remember but everything around is telling you now that she’s important.

The long, dead silence that follows after he asks “Did you know Kim Hyesung?” is more than enough of the answer Kyuhyun needs.

“Right,” Kyuhyun mutters before hanging up and wishing he could slam his head on the wall without breaking his skull. Maybe the pain he’ll gain on his head would stop the pain he currently has on his heart.