Chapter 40

Virtual Heart Shape Means Love?

But like all good things, everything must come to an end. For an entire day, Kyuhyun is so happy about what is happening with his life and with Jongwoon that he actually forgets about the fact that there is a person named Im Yoona who is constantly trying to get herself in his life.

It can’t be blamed on Kyuhyun though because it seems like Yoona really completely disappeared from his life for an entire day, and if only she’ll just disappear from Kyuhyun’s life forever, that will be the best – not only for Kyuhyun but for everybody else –  but Yoona doesn’t give up. Why would she? She always gets everything she wants. Toys, dresses, roles for school plays, cars, name anything and Yoona always gets it so why can’t she get Kyuhyun? Why is Kyuhyun going to be any different? No, there’s no way Yoona is giving up.

So it’s not really entirely surprising that the very next day, everything crashes.

There’s always calm after the storm and they shouldn’t have savored the calm so much that they didn’t anticipate the storm that’s coming. Kyuhyun arrives at the university, his mood completely bright until he saw posters pasted in every freaking wall, corner, space or anything that a coupon bond-sized poster can be posted, with different photos on it of Sooyeon and Miyoung. Some posters have them holding hands, some have them just laughing and some have them kissing. Words aren’t really necessary because anybody with half the brain would understand what these posters are suggesting. But still, there’s a thick, bold letters printed along with thousands of posters:

‘Dirty Lesbians’, it says.

The university administration is astounded when they saw what happened to the entire university proper that morning and they tried removing the posters as fast as they can but apparently, not fast enough because it’s already leaked and it’s already there and they can’t do anything about it anymore. Not that there’s something to do about it besides finding out who’s the culprit who went through all the trouble of printing hundreds of posters and posting it all around the university just so they can reveal what’s going on between Sooyeon and Miyoung. Let’s say that it’s really true, that Sooyeon and Miyoung are in a relationship more than friends but who would go through all the trouble to let everyone know about it?

‘I want to destroy her – that .’

There are no traces and because the whole university is very flabbergasted about what happened and everyone’s talking about it like it’s the latest news in town – well, it really is – it’s difficult for the administration to even have suspects.

Well, they don’t know Yoona but Kyuhyun does. When he arrives at the university that morning, everyone’s already talking about the posters and about Sooyeon and Miyoung and there are still posters on some places of the university and it’s really not hard for Kyuhyun to figure out what has happened.

She really did it. She really did it. She really did it. That’s what’s going on Kyuhyun’s mind over and over again as he strides through the people in the hallway from the university building to the high school building, looking for Sooyeon. He wants to know if Sooyeon’s alright because he doesn’t know what he’ll do if he’s the one on Sooyeon’s situation right now. Why does it have to be this way, anyway? Did Sooyeon and Miyoung hurt anybody? They didn’t, right? The only thing they did is love one another. Is that really so bad? Kyuhyun’s mind is racing of million things to think of but there’s one person who keeps on flashing on his mind, too.

Yesung.

If he, let’s just say that, if he, loves Yesung, too, is this bound to happen to him, too? To them, too? Are they bound to be against the world, too, just like how Sooyeon and Miyoung are so much like they’re up against the world now? But… they aren’t doing anything wrong to anybody, are they? Is that really so bad? To love a person and Kyuhyun can’t even say that he’s not supposed to love Yesung because really, who says who you can love? Who dictates it? Family? Friends? Society?

Aren’t you and only you supposed to be the one to tell who you love?

Kyuhyun’s not sure whose opinion is really twisted here but if you’re going to love a person, can you really choose who it is going to be?

Finally, Kyuhyun arrives at the high school building and he sees Sooyoung and Joohyun, waiting for their teacher, and the rest of the class is loud and talking and of course, there’s just a single topic for the rest of the university that morning and we already know what that is. He wonders why there’s no teacher in class when they should have started the class twenty minutes ago already.

“What’re you doing here?” Sooyoung asks Kyuhyun the moment she sees him rather in full hostility. She doesn’t mean to, really. It’s just that, he wants Jongwoon to be happy and Kyuhyun is really doing a good job with it when he’s Jongwoon and he’s Yesung, not when Jongwoon is both Jongwoon and Yesung and she’s not sure and confident how Kyuhyun will react to that.

“I’m looking for Sooyeon,” Kyuhyun answers breathlessly, ignoring Sooyoung’s hostility because he’s kind of getting used to it and after all, he’s still sorry he raised his hand on her but not sorry enough to regret that that’s how he and Jongwoon met. “Do you know where she is?”

Sooyoung isn’t about to answer just because but Joohyun already did. “She and Miyoung-ah went to the guidance counselor with our teacher, oppa.

Kyuhyun is a little startled when Joohyun addressed him with such familiarity and so is Sooyoung but Kyuhyun is glad because they’re Jongwoon’s closest friends and he kind of wants to be friends with them, too. Sooyoung sighs resolutely and decides that she can’t keep trying to push Kyuhyun away especially when he’s trying and besides, no matter how much she cares, she can’t deny that what’s between Jongwoon and Kyuhyun is between Jongwoon and Kyuhyun.

“They’re being asked questions, I think I heard,” Sooyoung adds.

“Questions?”

“Yes,” Sooyoung nods, “About their real relationship and about who did all of that.”

“Do you think they’re going to be alright?” Joohyun asks worriedly and Kyuhyun’s not sure if she’s friends with Sooyeon and Miyoung at all but after that incident in the cafeteria, Kyuhyun really doubts it though Sooyeon did say that she wants to apologize to both of them and Jongwoon, too.

“Well, there’s no provision in the student handbook prohibiting homoual relationships,” Sooyoung says as a matter-of-factly and even though she said that, Kyuhyun’s not really sure. After all, this might get the whole university an unexpected scandal. “They’re going to be fine,” she adds, looking at Kyuhyun who probably looks really worried because well, he is. “They didn’t do anything wrong, after all.”

That’s right. They didn’t do anything wrong but that’s not how other people will see it.

“Thank you,” Kyuhyun finally says, “I’ll look for Sooyeon at the guidance office.”

Joohyun smiles at him and Sooyoung looks as Kyuhyun walks back to the university building where the guidance office and the other administration offices are.

“Is he going to be alright?” Joohyun asks Sooyoung seriously.

“He better be,” Sooyoung answers. “This isn’t even about him, yet.”

“I hope he’ll be alright,” Joohyun says.

“He should be, Hyun. He should be.”

Kyuhyun isn’t able to see Sooyeon or even Miyoung that day. After talking with the guidance counselor, they are sent home (in shame, some people say) not because they particularly did something wrong or something shameful, because technically, if you’ll look at it closely, Sooyeon and Miyoung are not the ones who did something wrong here. It’s who literally wrapped the entire university with posters of Sooyeon and Miyoung, who revealed everything that’s supposed to be personal between Sooyeon and Miyoung. They are sent home because it will really not do them any good to stay in the surrounding where people are saying something – anything – about them, according to Ms. Lee.

He isn’t really sure what exactly to do about this. He thinks he is to blame because of the judgment Sooyeon and Miyoung are suffering now from everybody. Well, maybe not everybody, but with the majority of people. South Korea isn’t exactly what you’ll call ‘accepting’ about homoual relationships. In truth, it can even be considered as more of the ‘discriminating.’

Kyuhyun blames himself because if he only did what Yoona asked of him... if he only became Yoona’s boyfriend, like what she wanted… if he only gave Yoona what she wanted – his heart… Then, Sooyeon and Miyoung shouldn’t be the ones suffering right now. He wants to check if Sooyeon is alright, or if Miyoung is. It’s weird but after having met Miyoung once only before, he feels like what’s happening to Miyoung is also his responsibility now.

It’s my fault, Kyuhyun thinks to himself over and over again.

It’s my fault.

It’s my fault.

It’s my fault.

Kyuhyun is lost in self-pity and self-guilt, unable to concentrate in the books lying in front of him despite its required attention from him, thinking of things and overhearing the whispered and muffled conversations of people inside the library about how disgusting Sooyeon and Miyoung are, about how wrong it is to be in that kind of ridiculous relationship, and about how immoral and unethical this all is aren’t really helping.

Unethical.

Immoral.

Wrong.

Disgusting?, Kyuhyun thinks heavily. He feels like his heart is constricted and if he doesn’t know better, he swears to everything in him that he’ll fight for Sooyeon and Miyoung’s name right there and then. How the hell is it disgusting? That Sooyeon and Miyoung are in love with each other? How is that disgusting? Kyuhyun wants to know. He wants to understand.

His thoughts are suddenly interrupted when he receives a message:

Hey. How are you? Are you okay?

Yesung-hyung, Kyuhyun’s heart suddenly raced and he wants to get out of there immediately. He dumps all his things on his bag and runs out of the library. He replies to Yesung:

Hyung, please call me.

 

 

 

A/N: Hi. Are you still here?