Chapter 38

Virtual Heart Shape Means Love?

Yoona is beyond infuriated with Sooyeon’s sudden appearance, stopping Kyuhyun from kissing her for the very first time and in front of so many people. Blood rises to Yoona’s face and she approaches Sooyeon, still trying to protect her image. She calmly says to Sooyeon, “What are you doing here, lesbian?”

Sooyeon is taken aback, surprised with Yoona’s words. Kyuhyun sees it and Jongwoon does, too. Yoona wickedly smiles at Sooyeon’s initial reaction and is about to continue tormenting her with words and Kyuhyun almost stands between them. Seriously, why is Kyuhyun always caught in between two girls fighting? But Sooyeon takes pleasure to smile and looks at Yoona’s reddened face because of embarrassment. “So,” Sooyeon says quietly, so the other people wouldn’t hear, “I guess it’s true, then.”

“That you’re a lesbian?” Yoona chuckles.

“No,” Sooyeon answers, still smiling perfectly that it pisses off Yoona more, “I guess it’s true that you’re a lonely , a lonely, ugly trying to get Kyuhyun-oppa.”

Yoona can’t make out of words to say, not because she can’t think of anything to say back. As a matter of fact, she can say right there and then about Sooyeon’s secret. Maybe it’s because it’s true and no matter how many times we’ve heard of this, truth hurts.

“You might be older, Im Yoona-ssi,” Sooyeon says quietly, locking gazes with Yoona, “but I can get er. So, keep your hands off Kyuhyun-oppa!”

Yoona blinks tears. She can’t cry. “You’ll pay for this,” she says to Sooyeon. “I’ll make sure that you’ll pay for this, Jung Sooyeon.” Then, she walks out of the basketball court, not because she’s giving up on Kyuhyun and on making Sooyeon’s life the most miserable but because she needs a way out. She’s never felt so alone.

When Yoona is out of the basketball court, everybody pretends that they’re not watching a drama in real life and begins on leaving, some talking like they aren’t previously so quiet because they’re trying to hear whatever the characters of the drama in their university is saying. For them, it’s simple. Kyuhyun is torn between his girlfriend, Yoona, ang his childhood friend, Sooyeon, disregarding the fact that another character is just nearby. But what do they know, really?

We see things we want to see. Most of the time, we see things easily because seriously, who wants to complicate things as they already are, right? But as Dumbledore said, soon we’ll be forced to choose between what is right and what is easy. And it’s not going to be an easy choice.

“What are you doing here, Sooyeon? How did you get out of the house? Isn’t auntie going to be mad at you? What happened to uncle? How did their talk go?” Kyuhyun is throwing nonstop questions to Sooyeon once everybody is gone from the basketball court and he, Sooyeon and Jongwoon are the only ones left. Jongwoon says he can go but both Sooyeon and Kyuhyun stops him, to Kyuhyun’s wonder why Sooyeon did and to Jongwoon’s surprise why they both did.

Jongwoon chuckles and interrupts Kyuhyun, “She can’t answer your questions all at once, Kyu.”

“Jongwoon-oppa’s right,” Sooyeon says, sticking out her tongue on Kyuhyun and smiling at Jongwoon. When Kyuhyun finally calms himself down, quite not getting over that it has changed now that it was Sooyeon who protected him from outside harms named Yoona, Sooyeon begins answering Kyuhyun’s questions. “I told you, oppa. I’m here to save you. That isn’t getting everything her way.”

“How’d you know about us, anyway?” Kyuhyun asks, leaning his back at one of the benches as he sits beside Jongwoon who is sitting all this time while he bombards Sooyeon with his series of what seems like interrogation questions.

“I have my sources, oppa,” Sooyeon simply answers. “Did you forget that I’m the university high school’s queen?” She says that with a smile but there’s seriousness in her voice and Kyuhyun knows that knowing she’s being used to blackmail Kyuhyun, she doesn’t like that one bit.

“It’s not your fault,” Kyuhyun suddenly says.

“Huh?”

“Don’t blame yourself,” Kyuhyun tells her. “I did promise auntie to protect you, didn’t I?”

“Oppa,” Sooyeon says appreciatively.

Kyuhyun smiles at her. “So, when are you going back to school, Sooyeon? And why the hell are you saving me only now, huh? You called me days ago that uncle already arrived!”

“Eomma is still reluctant about letting me go back to school, oppa,” Sooyeon says, sighing. “As a matter of fact, she still hasn’t accepted the fact that I’ve been in love with Miyoung for months already. But she’s talking to me normally now, like telling me it’s already lunchtime.”

Kyuhyun is about to say something when somebody suddenly opens the basketball court’s door. He almost thinks that it’s the janitor who is supposed to close the court but that somebody is a girl with black hair, sporting the same uniform that Sooyeon is wearing. He hasn’t processed, yet, who the girl is completely when Sooyeon suddenly runs over to her while shouting, “MIYOUNG!!!” He and Jongwoon exchange glances.

Sooyeon and Miyoung talk for a moment alone while Jongwoon and Kyuhyun try not to watch them and engage themselves in small talk.

“It’s good thing about Sooyeon-ssi and Miyoung-ssi,” Jongwoon says.

Kyuhyun nods at that. “Hyung,” he then says. “Earlier, what are you thinking?”

“Earlier?”

“When you’re standing there and I was about to kiss Yoona.”

“The truth?”

Kyuhyun looks surprised. “Yes, hyung,” he says.

“Nothing,” Jongwoon answers, smiling more to himself than to Kyuhyun. “My mind is blank and I can’t move. You know that feeling when you suddenly forget the lyrics of the song you’re singing? It’s like that.”

Kyuhyun smiles at Jongwoon’s answer.

“It’s a good thing Sooyeon-ssi arrived.”

Kyuhyun nods again.

There’s a comfortable silence between them until Sooyeon comes again, pulling the girl she’s talking with her. They notice that their eyes are a little damp but those smiles that are plastered on their lips are more visible. Plus, they kind of looked away when Sooyeon suddenly leaned over Miyoung. Kyuhyun looked at the ceiling and wondered over the wonderful paint of it, sapphire blue while Jongwoon looked down and tried to count the lines on his tiny fingers.

“Kyuhyun-oppa, Jongwoon-oppa,” Sooyeon says, gesturing to Kyuhyun and Jongwoon. “This is Hwang Miyoung.”

“Are you going back to school tomorrow?” Kyuhyun asks Sooyeon when she’s about to go home together with Miyoung. He and Jongwoon decide to eat something first before going home. They ask Sooyeon and Miyoung if they’d like to eat with them but Sooyeon says that she’s only allowed to go out even if it’s already that late because she convinces her father that she’s saving both him and Jongwoon. Kyuhyun and Jongwoon don’t understand but that made Sooyeon’s father to let her go to the university even if it’s late.

“Yes, oppa,” Sooyeon says, smiling. “Bye, oppa! Bye, Jongwoon-oppa.”

Sooyeon waves her hand at them while Miyoung bows lightly. Then, Kyuhyun and Jongwoon are alone again and that’s only the time when Kyuhyun speaks what’s on his mind the entire time that night. “Hyung, what will happen now?”

Jongwoon doesn’t understand. “Huh?”

“If Yoona tells everybody about Sooyeon and Miyoung.”

“Then, everybody will know.”

“Is it that simple? They will condemn Sooyeon and Miyoung, hyung, like they’re disgusting or something.”

“They will,” Jongwoon agrees with a nod. “But not everybody.”

“Really?”

“There’s you and me,” Jongwoon starts, “Sooyoung and Joohyun and there are many more. Just because many thinks that they’re disgusting doesn’t mean they are. The world is cruel, Kyuhyun. But it’s also beautiful and it’s the most beautiful when you’re in love and the person that you love is beside you. That’s why Sooyeon-ssi chooses to come out rather than hide herself, probably because for her, even through the adversaries, the fact that she loves Miyoung-ssi and she loves her back, too, that’s enough for her, for them, to make the world more beautiful.”

“You talk like somebody, hyung,” Kyuhyun says after a long pause, like he’s thinking really hard of something.

“Is that so?” Jongwoon smiles and unlike Kyuhyun who is as clueless as ever, Jongwoon has a clear grasp of who Kyuhyun is referring to. If Kyuhyun asks him now if he is Yesung, just like what Jongwoon had promised Kyuhyun, he’ll tell him the truth but Kyuhyun scratches the back of his head and shrugs, “I can’t remember who, though, hyung.”

Kyuhyun suddenly turns his heels to begin walking to the direction where they’re supposed to eat when he loses his balance in the process. Jongwoon, on the other hand, immediately sees Kyuhyun falling and tries catching him Kyuhyun’s hands to pull him up. The pressure is bigger on Kyuhyun’s body not only because he is literally bigger than Jongwoon but because he’s the one falling. In the end, Kyuhyun accidentally pulls Jongwoon along with him and both of them falls on the ground, Jongwoon falling on top of Kyuhyun. These all happened within barely a split second.

Those things that are really important happen in a blink of an eye.

Jongwoon slowly moves his head, a little dizzy from falling and not quite minding the position he and Kyuhyun are in. The only thoughts in his mind are if Kyuhyun is alright and that he needs to stand up because he is lying something – rather, someone soft.

Kyuhyun freezes upon Jongwoon’s movement and is unable to move because he is the one at the bottom. It isn’t just Jongwoon’s weight that’s keeping him from moving but Jongwoon’s face with his dark eyes closed and beautiful features in that almost-touching proximity moving closer and closer and closer…

Their lips brushed against the other.

It’s not that Jongwoon didn’t feel it or it’s not that Kyuhyun doesn’t acknowledge it but both of them are probably freaking and panicking too much inside that what Jongwoon only manages to do is to stand up, try to act as normal as possible and mutter “I’m sorry.” On the other hand, Kyuhyun isn’t much different from Jongwoon. He tries to act it cool and answers Jongwoon with an “It’s okay, hyung” as he removes dust from his pants.

That night, Kyuhyun didn’t get any sleep. He keeps turning and twisting on his bed while looking like a lovestruck teenager, touching his lips every now and then and burying his face on his pillow because he could literally feel all the blood on his body rising up to his face again every second he remembers that fateful moment when Jongwoon suddenly moves his head a little and his lips brushes against Kyuhyun.

“Ahhhhhhhhh!!!” Kyuhyun idiotically squeals again, suppressing his excitement and happiness by covering his entire face with his pillow, remembering Jongwoon’s face and yes, the cycle repeats again. “Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!”

Jongwoon, on the other hand, isn’t much different from Kyuhyun in a sense that he’s as lovestruck as Kyuhyun is. But unlike Kyuhyun who’s twisting and turning and literally murdering his pillow, Jongwoon is a lot calmer. He is peacefully staring out of his window, out at the stars in the dark skies of the night and thinking of Kyuhyun while touching his lips that grazed Kyuhyun’s. He’ll smile like a fool at the thought and think of Kyuhyun some more, wondering when was the last time had he felt so much happiness. No words can explain the fluttering in Jongwoon’s heart and the tingling sensation in his stomach like there are a thousand butterflies there whenever he remembers that moment so Jongwoon would slightly tilt his head, rest his elbow on the window pane and smile more, a reel of images of Kyuhyun continuously playing on his head.

That night’s kiss isn’t for Yoona.

It’s for the ones in love.

 

 

A/N: Hey, guys. I’m not supposed to write Author’s Notes in this part but I really want to say that I enjoyed writing this chapter more than I thought I would and that latter part (KyuSung moment) is really unexpected. It just popped on my mind and I want to give them (and US) a little treat before New Year. :)) I hope you imagined the scenario just like how it played on my mind and you like it as much as I do. I love you, guys. – Elle Kim