Chapter 4

Virtual Heart Shape Means Love?

Jongwoon can’t believe it.

He absolutely can’t believe that Kyuhyun actually talked to him during choir practice today and he absolutely can’t believe as well that Kyuhyun would talk to him. Well, this is certainly pathetic because Kyuhyun only said one word to him: Hey. But for Jongwoon, that means more than anybody had said to him that day.

Eleventh and twelfth period for choir practice is pretty short, unlike their usual three to five hours choir practice straight but that day, it seems awfully shorter than it already is because Kyuhyun (and Jongwoon is squealing but only on the inside) is sitting right beside him.

As warm up exercise, Maestro Jang asks them to sing a two to four lines of whatever song they like. This is pretty much the reason why Jongwoon joins the university choir, other than the fact that Kyuhyun is also a member of the choir. He gets to sing.

Here, he has a voice to share, songs to sing and emotions to convey.

Here, he’s not just that guy who talks to turtles at the turtle garden.

So, anyway, since he and Kyuhyun are on the third and last row, they get to sing last. Jongwoon’s seriously considering what he will sing because he can’t absolutely fail (and not that he’ll fail because if there’s one in the world that Jongwoon would never positively fail upon, that’s singing) especially when Kyuhyun has finally talked to him.

Ryeowook sings a beautiful rendition of Bruno Mars’ Marry You:

It’s a beautiful night, we’re looking for something dumb to do.

Hey baby, I think I wanna marry you.

It is the look in your eyes or is it this dancing juice?

Who cares baby, I think I wanna marry you.

It isn’t much of a warm up exercise but Ryeowook mostly sings whatever he likes to sing and since Maestro Kim didn’t specify a song, Ryeowook guesses it should be fine. Besides, the ladies on his row squeal and giggle like he is singing it for them. Not that Ryeowook can marry them all but that’s not the point.

Finally, when it’s Jongwoon’s turn, it’s as if that’s the only moment when the room realizes that yes, Jongwoon is with them and yes, Jongwoon is a member of the prestigious university choir and another yes, Jongwoon is singing.

It doesn’t bother Jongwoon. He’s been over the dramatic and depressing part of his life. He’s been used to it but from time to time, of course, as a normal person, he is also thinking what could happen to his life if it isn’t like this. But then, he’ll think of Kyuhyun and Jongwoon will finally smile and settle because if there’s Kyuhyun, then he can’t think of having it any other way.

Jongwoon sings:

You’re beautiful, you’re beautiful, you’re beautiful, it’s true.

There must be an angel with a smile on her face,

When she thought up that I should be with you.

But it’s time to face the truth, I will never be with you.

The entire room is very quiet when Jongwoon began singing, from his first exhale of words up to his last even though those girls in the front row seems like they still hasn’t gotten over Ryeowook’s turn until the person before Jongwoon. And it’s like they’ve been caught with whatever emotion Jongwoon is trying to convey. It’s like they can feel it, they can see it and they can hear it through his voice.

Kyuhyun is specifically surprised. Has he always been like that?, Kyuhyun wonders. Because if there’s a word to describe Jongwoon’s turn, Kyuhyun thinks, It’s amazing.

Apparently, Kyuhyun doesn’t have much time to take in what seems to be an ethereal voice. He seriously thinks that it’s that beautiful, it’s ethereal and Kyuhyun knows that if Donghae or Hyukjae hears him describing a voice in such a way, they’ll laugh at him and probably about it for the next three hundred and sixty five days.

Jongwoon returns to his seat beside Kyuhyun and kind of catches the younger man’s eyes.

And Kyuhyun smiles at him.

And Jongwoon thinks he’s hyperventilating.

And Kyuhyun stands up and walks pass him, saying, “That’s cool.”

And Jongwoon thinks he’s going to die soon as he barely has enough oxygen on his head, muttering, “Thanks.”

And Kyuhyun proceeds in front and sings:

You are my everything, nothing your love won’t bring.

My life is yours alone, the only love I’ve ever known.

You’re spirit pulls me through, when nothing else will do.

Every night I pray on bended knes, that you will always be my everything.

Truthfully, the only reason Kyuhyun chooses that to sing is because he can’t think of any other songs to sing. This song is like Kyuhyun’s default song. Whenever he’s on auditions or whenever he is being asked to sing, if there are no specifications, this is what he’ll sing.

Even so, Kyuhyun can’t help thinking of Yesung as he sings.

When he returns back to his seat, Jongwoon says to him softly, “That’s great, Kyuhyun-ssi.” And right after saying that, Jongwoon wants to choke himself. Now Kyuhyun will think he’s a freaking stalker.

But Kyuhyun only raises his brow as he turns to him and asks, “How’d you know my name?”

“Um, we have the same first period class, precalc,” Jongwoon quickly answers.

Kyuhyun nods. Maybe, he’s just the person who’s not noticing. Maybe, Jongwoon has noticed that they have the same first period class from the beginning of the semester, since their first choir practice together even though Kyuhyun can’t think of it as together because he didn’t even know that Jongwoon’s existing in the choir until now.

“Not as great as you did,” Kyuhyun says and he means that. He’s feeling of being impressed and surprised at Jongwoon’s voice and how he sings, somehow, magically hasn’t faded yet and he actually means what he said.

Jongwoon wants to say something else, wants to lengthen their third conversation, but Maestro Kim walks up in front and begins saying something, regarding the inter-university choir competition next month or something that Jongwoon only manages, “Thanks,” before Kyuhyun completely focuses his attention to their maestro.

After choir practice, Kyuhyun walks up to Ryeowook and asks something about their English homework, annoying the girls who are talking to Ryeowook, asking what his favorite food or favorite color or favorite soap is.

“Seriously, Wookie? Favorite soap? What are they going to do with that anyway? Are they going to buy all your favorite soap?” Kyuhyun asks, shaking his head when Ryeowook finally excuses himself from the ladies to talk to Kyuhyun.

Ryeowook only laughs. “I’ll message you the format later,” he says, about the English homework Kyuhyun has no idea how to work at.

“Thanks, Wook,” Kyuhyun says. Then, he asks, just because he wants to know, “Has Kim Jongwoon been around from the first day of choir practice?”

“Yeah,” Ryeowook nods, “Why’d you ask?”

“Well, today’s the first day I saw him,” Kyuhyun answers.

“He’s pretty great, right?” Ryeowook says, smiling at Kyuhyun and looking pass him, to Jongwoon who’s arranging the messed seats in the classroom while the rest of the choir members leave.

Kyuhyun has to nod because whoever will say that Kim Jongwoon isn’t great in singing is either lying or deaf, seriously.

Then, Kyuhyun gets his phone from his pocket and texts Yesung:

Choir practice ended pretty late, hyung~ Can you call at 7:30?

“See you tomorrow, Wookie,” Kyuhyun says to Ryeowook.

“Here comes fantasy again,” Ryeowook hums, in a sing-song voice, smiling at Kyuhyun knowingly.

“Shut up, Wook,” Kyuhyun tells Ryeowook but he, too, is smiling.

After Kyuhyun left, Ryeowook says to Jongwoon who’s the only one left on the room with him, still arranging the seats and tables in the room because it looks like a hurricane just came, “Hyung, I’m going, too!”

Jongwoon nods and says, smiling, “Take care on your way home, Ryeowook.”

Only when Jongwoon is alone in the classroom did he take his phone from his backpack. Before Kyuhyun left, he sees him texting and Jongwoon knows that there’s a message on his phone by now. Sure enough, there is. Jongwoon reads:

Choir practice ended pretty late, hyung~ Can you call at 7:30?

Jongwoon looks up at his wristwatch and it looks like Maestro Kim really did some overtime today; it’s already 7:23. Jongwoon replies:

Tired? Sure. ^^ Just text me if you’re home already, Kyu. ^^

Kyuhyun is just walking out of the building when he receives a reply from Yesung:

Tired? Sure. ^^ Just text me if you’re home already, Kyu. ^^

Kyuhyun is about to reply again but due to some unexplainable force and call of need, he turns around and looks up at Room 324, where they just had their choir practice. He feels like there’s someone looking at him from up there but when he looks up, all he sees is the curtain rattling, even if the window is closed because the room is air-conditioned.

Kyuhyun shrugs it off as he walks towards the school dormitory as he replies to Yesung again:

Not really, hyung~ I’m fine ^^ Kekeke, worried of me? There’s this classmate, hyung, and you should hear his voice. It’s amazing~

Jongwoon calms down his breath, still clutching the curtains when he ducked down, because it seems like it sped a hundred times when Kyuhyun suddenly turns and looks up to where he was, watching the younger man walk home. “Stop looking like a freaking stalker, Kim Jongwoon,” he scolds himself as his phone lights again.

It’s from Kyuhyun.

Jongwoon smiles and replies:

Of course I’m worried, you idiot >.< Really? His voice is more amazing than yours?