Chapter 50

Virtual Heart Shape Means Love?

They find Kyuhyun on one of Jongwoon’s parents’ empty building. With an asset as big as theirs and money that could afford anything but bring back Hyesung, they can manage to have empty and abandoned properties all over Seoul and South Korea. Kyuhyun is unconscious on one single chair on the entire building. His head is hanging down and it seems like he’s just been left there.

“Kyuhyun, Kyuhyun, wake up,” Sungmin immediately runs towards Kyuhyun and tries waking his best friend up. “Hey, Kyuhyun, wake up.”

While Sungmin is trying to wake Kyuhyun up, Jongwoon walks around the building and checks the surroundings, if ever there are still people in it, if ever his parents are still in it. After making sure that the building is already empty and that the three of them are the only people there, Jongwoon finally approaches Sungmin and Kyuhyun.

He doesn’t know if it’s guilt – but it’s definitely there, guilt – or disappointment for his parents, or stress because of everything that’s going on, or the weight that he still hasn’t told Kyuhyun anything, and yet, here, Kyuhyun was already taken by his parents, but when Jongwoon sees Kyuhyun, still sitting unconscious on that chair, and he sees marks on Kyuhyun’s face (possibly, packaging tape) and on Kyuhyun’s wrists (tight rope), and although Sungmin hasn’t noticed those things and it’s probably got something to do with having the same experience that Jongwoon knows, Jongwoon doesn’t know what to do. He feels his heart constricting painfully, (He finally feels it.), and he’s not sure if it’s physically constricting (which is really, pretty dangerous for him) or if he’s feeling it because of Kyuhyun, for Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun hasn’t done anything wrong, Jongwoon thinks painfully, regretfully.

He stands there, taken aback, watching Sungmin try to wake Kyuhyun up. His feet won’t move. He can’t seem to approach Kyuhyun, even more, be someone Sungmin is to Kyuhyun now. Subconsciously, Jongwoon steps backwards, slowly. This is my fault, he thinks. This is all my fault, Jongwoon angrily thinks to himself.

He’s not mad at his parents, not really. He knows they did what they did because they also do not know. They’ve been living all their life, trying to reason that the fact Hyesung died is because of a boy named Kyuhyun. They don’t know. He’s mad at himself, for keeping everything to himself and not telling anybody. It’s not Kyuhyun’s fault, but only he knows that. He promised Hyesung before she dies that he’ll not tell anybody. He promised Hyesung that he’ll never tell anybody, most especially their parents and Kyuhyun.

But Jongwoon doesn’t know how to keep that promise anymore.

It’s not Kyuhyun. It’s me. I’m sorry, noona.

Jongwoon is about to run out of the building, to his parents, to tell them everything. But suddenly, Kyuhyun coughs and even though he’s still a little dizzy because of God knows what happened to him, he slightly opens his eyes and is greeted by Sungmin’s worried face.

“Min?” Kyuhyun mutters, still coughing a little, trying to sit straighter on the chair.

“Yeah, it’s me, Kyu. Are you okay? Can you stand?” Sungmin asks worriedly.

Kyuhyun doesn’t answer and tries his best to stand, but fails to do so. It’s probably the drugs they made him inhale to lose his consciousness when they got him from school earlier that evening. He glances up again and finally sees Jongwoon behind Sungmin. “Jongwoon-hyung?”

Sungmin looks back at Jongwoon, too, and realizes that Jongwoon hasn’t approached Kyuhyun, yet, since they saw him. He doesn’t really have to be a genius for Sungmin to realize that Kyuhyun doesn’t know and more probably than not, Jongwoon is feeling guilty because of what happened. He knows Kyuhyun should know, but seeing Jongwoon, Sungmin’s not sure if he’s the one to tell.

“Jongwoon-hyung?” Sungmin calls Jongwoon to come forward as well. “Kyuhyun’s awake.”

“Yeah,” Jongwoon stammers, finally walking towards Kyuhyun and Sungmin.

The drugs on Kyuhyun’s system is still very much in effect, so both Sungmin and Jongwoon doesn’t really know if Kyuhyun is aware of it but as soon as Jongwoon approaches Kyuhyun, he sing-songs like he’s drunk, “Jongwoonie-hyung, you look like that old man and old woman who keep asking me questions I don’t understand!” Then, he hiccups and giggles.

Sungmin and Jongwoon exchange glances.

“Really, hyung!” Kyuhyun says again, “They can even be your parents!”

Then, Kyuhyun sort of loses consciousness again, like he falls asleep and there’s really no choice for Sungmin and Jongwoon but carry Kyuhyun home, or in the university dorm, since they can’t exactly bring Kyuhyun home in that state.

“You’re Hyesung’s older brother?” Sungmin asks, on the cab on their way home. It’s safe, because Kyuhyun is sleep-talking, so he’s sleeping and can probably remember nothing out of all these crazy things when he wakes up tomorrow.

“No,” Jongwoon answers, “she’s my older sister.”

“Why does – did,” Sungmin looks uncertainly at Jongwoon and adds in a quiet tone, ‘I’m sorry’, “she call you oppa?”

“It’s okay,” Jongwoon tells Sungmin, a little surprised, “She’s sick, really sick. She stopped growing, and later on, she was shrinking. I told her she could call me oppa to cheer her up, back then. So she wouldn’t be sad about it… I never liked it when she was sad.”

“Kyuhyun doesn’t remember.”

“I know.”

“You will tell him.”

Jongwoon eyes meet Sungmin’s in the rearview mirror of the taxi. He’s sitting on the passenger seat beside the driver’s while Sungmin and Kyuhyun are on the back. Jongwoon realizes that Sungmin isn’t asking; it’s a statement. He will tell Kyuhyun.

“You don’t care if he gets hurt again?”

Sungmin’s face turns dark. “I tried to stop him, I warned him, but he’s already there.”

“So, he’ll get hurt no matter what. Is that what you’re saying?”

“Kyuhyun has been hurt so much in the past. You know that. But now, it doesn’t have to hurt like that. Just… tell him.” Sungmin sounds surprisingly resigned, even to himself. He still doesn’t understand many things, but he knows what Jongwoon probably feels for Kyuhyun and if he’s right, he knows Jongwoon will not do anything to hurt Kyuhyun. He just has to trust on that.

“I will tell him.”

Jongwoon wants to tell Kyuhyun everything right away, but with Kyuhyun acting like he’s seeing flying chipmunks and eating roasted cockroaches like they’re normal, it’s not really possible. It’s like talking to a talking coconut tree and Jongwoon doesn’t know if he can say everything again. He sighs when Sungmin finally gets Kyuhyun on his bed.

“I don’t think he’ll be waking up until tomorrow,” Sungmin says, as a matter-of-factly, glancing at Jongwoon.

“Yes,” Jongwoon agrees. “It’s probably the drugs.”

“Drugs?” Sungmin turns around to Jongwoon, clearly bewildered.

“Don’t worry!” Jongwoon immediately says, seeing Sungmin’s alarmed expression. “They’re probably just meant to make him unconscious.”

Sungmin still doesn’t look convinced as he removes Kyuhyun’s shoes and pulls the covers up to Kyuhyun’s chin. As he’s doing that, Jongwoon walks around Kyuhyun’s dorm room. It’s his first time inside, and the only time he’s been near Kyuhyun’s room, mostly because he’s terrified to be seen wandering in front of Kyuhyun’s room, unlike Kyuhyun who was standing in front of his house, was when he left Peach Rings for Kyuhyun.

It’s not exactly a neat room, clothes are thrown in different sides of the room and there are books everywhere Jongwoon looks. But he sees something that catches his eyes. He walks towards Kyuhyun’s study table and sees so many Post-its, similar as what Kyuhyun gave him – or a random girl, probably for Kyuhyun.

Hey, you wake up earlier than me, Kyu! I woke up to your text. A good start of the day!

Nope! I’m staring at my phone, waiting for your replies~ ^^ You?

I miss you, Kyuhyun~

So, did you arrive in class late, Baby Kyu?

You don’t have to reply, Kyu~ Study well! Fighting! ^^

Our conversations… Our text messages…, Jongwoon thinks, skimming through each and every Post-it, in several colors. Kyuhyun is recording them, writing them because he doesn’t want to forget about them. If he erases them in his phone, they’ll probably be gone forever and Kyuhyun does not want that.

There’re also several pieces containing Yesung’s message for Kyuhyun during the Thanksgiving Ball.

And Jongwoon is a only little surprised about it but he also finds that pink Post-it he left when Kyuhyun dozed off while waiting for the bus, when he was dressed as Hyesung.

These Post-its are inside a small, circular box and when Jongwoon puts them back on the box, he sees another blue Post-it on the lid of the box with a note: Who are you?

 

 

 

A/N:

I’m supposed to upload like five chapters as gift for Jongwoon on his birthday, but I decided to do a countdown instead until his birthday. So, one chapter until his birthday? XD

Sorry for being MIA for a while again. >.<

Are you still there? Please, please stay with me until the end! >.<

D-5.