Chapter 30

Virtual Heart Shape Means Love?

Jung Soohyun.

Jongwoon stares at the small piece of paper where Kyuhyun wrote Sooyeon’s father’s name. He is supposed to help him find any way to contact Mr. Jung because they certainly won’t get anything from Mrs. Jung if helping Sooyeon convince her mother that changing schools won’t change her is the reason. And trying to ask for Mr. and Mrs. Jung’s friends seems to be out of the question as well. They can’t afford any mistake because this might be their only chance to help Sooyeon.

They need to look for answers themselves.

Jongwoon furrows his eyebrows together as he tries to melt the little piece of paper with his state. Not effective, of course. He’s not an alchemist or a magician but somehow, staring at the paper, pronouncing the name over and over again seems to be helping him remember something important.

“I know this person!” Jongwoon suddenly exclaims, standing up from his seat at the botanical garden and alarming the turtles he’s been watching, diving deep into the water because this turtle-man is talking to himself yet and again. “Jung Soohyun… Jung Soohyun… Jung Soohyun… Where have I known you?”

After a few researches and possibly sneaking up to his father’s office at home, he recognized the man who’s also Sooyeon’s father. He’s an old business acquaintance of his parents when they are active in their business and Jongwoon has actually seen him a few times when Mr. Jung visited his parents at home for business matters.

Even if his parents aren’t as active as they used to be in the corporate world now, they’ve still got their connections and after a few more digging through his father’s stuff, Jongwoon finds Jung Soohyun’s contact information and address in United States.

He already finds Jung Sooyeon’s contact information but Jongwoon still seems to be undeniably bothered by something. There’s something missing and Jongwoon’s thinking hard what it is. He’s missing something yet he doesn’t know what it is and he badly wants to know it, like if he doesn’t, it will lead to something bad in the future.

“Who are you, Jung Soohyun?” Jongwoon asks himself.

“Why are talking to yourself, hyung?” Kyuhyun suddenly appears in the botanical garden, with books on his arms and his bag swinging on his shoulder. He obviously ran from his previous class to the botanical garden.

Jongwoon almost jumps out of his skin. “What the –,” he mutters, trying to regain his composure back. “What are you doing here, Kyu?”

Kyuhyun laughs. “You’ve been drinking too much coffee, hyung? Why are you so tense?”

“I’m not tense,” Jongwoon argues, shrugging. “Anyway, what are you doing here? I thought you’re class ends at twelve? It’s…”

Kyuhyun laughs again. “What has gotten into you, hyung?” he asks, looking amusedly at Jongwoon. He looks at Jongwoon who’s eyeing him incredulously after looking at his own watch. “Yes, hyung. It’s already five minutes after twelve and my class already ended. I ran here right after the first bell.”

“Oh,” Jongwoon unintelligently mutters which makes Kyuhyun laugh heartily again, almost tearing because Jongwoon looks so adorable when he’s confused and he doesn’t know what’s going on like that. “Seriously, hyung, what’s gotten into you?” Kyuhyun asks, still laughing.

Kyuhyun is still laughing and Jongwoon is looking at him. If Jongwoon is able to bring this much happiness to Kyuhyun, then he wouldn’t mind looking so clueless anytime. But seriously, this is all Jung Soohyun’s fault. Who is he really?

“What’s wrong, hyung?” Kyuhyun suddenly stops laughing and stares at Jongwoon because Jongwoon is looking really, really serious like he’s thinking of something and Kyuhyun isn’t even in front of him. Well, Kyuhyun doesn’t like it when Jongwoon’s thinking of something (somebody?) even when he’s in front of him.

Jongwoon stares at Kyuhyun. “Nothing, Kyu,” he only says because what will he say? That he’s intrigued of Sooyeon’s father’s identity because of some unknown reason?

“Really?”

“What do you mean, Kyu?”

“Well,” Kyuhyun shrugs. “You seem out of it, hyung. I’m just wondering if there’s something wrong.”

“There’s nothing wrong, Kyu,” Jongwoon assures him, smiling sweetly that Kyuhyun forgets he’s supposed to press Jongwoon if he’s thinking of something (somebody?) else when he’s with Kyuhyun.

“Oh, okay,” Kyuhyun mutters, looking down because he’s afraid he’s face is flushed red.

A moment of silence passes between them comfortably. They say that you’ll know if a person has a special place in your heart when you can share a moment of silence with that person with awkwardness or uneasiness but just comfortable. No words, no talks, no arguments needed. Silence will be enough to encompass in your hearts the importance of each other because you see, words aren’t really necessary for a person to know your feelings. Sometimes you just have to be there and that will be enough.

“Anyway, hyung,” Kyuhyun begins, sitting straightly at the chair and looking seriously at Jongwoon. He digs a folder on his bag and opens it. It contains papers that from Jongwoon’s point of view look very complicated because it has different addresses and contact information on them. At least, Jongwoon deduces it has something to do with Sooyeon’s father.

“I look through different addresses that might have some connection with uncle,” Kyuhyun continues, shuffling through the papers and showing them to Jongwoon. “These are his business partners, colleagues, friends that auntie wouldn’t talk to for the next two weeks. I contacted them and ask them if they know uncle’s contact information. Some are friendly. Well, I don’t know if they’re friendly or they’re just lying and telling me that they don’t know uncle’s contact information. But some are freaking hostile, hyung! None of them knows about uncle’s whereabouts now. And I don’t know what to do anymore, honestly.”

Kyuhyun looks at Jongwoon and finds the older man smiling at him. “What, hyung?”

Jongwoon leans his back against the chair and shakes his head slowly, still smiling. “You wanted to help Sooyeon this much?” he asks, getting something from his own bag. It’s just a small piece of paper unlike Kyuhyun gargantuan collection of papers.

“Well, she’s almost my little sister, hyung,” Kyuhyun simply says.

“Yes, I know.”

“So, anyway, hyung. I already contacted these people who have their names crossed out already,” Kyuhyun tells him, shuffling on his papers again. “But I have class already and I’m just wondering…”

“Hey, Kyu?”

“I’m just wondering if you could be the one to call them, hyung,” Kyuhyun continues, ignoring Jongwoon. “You can just ask them about uncle’s whereabouts and I know they will not give it to you but you can…”

“Kyu?”

“You can tell them you’re an old relative or a friend, hyung,” Kyuhyun ignores Jongwoon again and continues to rattle. “Some might not believe you but some might and we got to try, hyung. We need to do everything we can...”

“Kyu!” Jongwoon shouts loudly, unable to take Kyuhyun ignoring him anymore.

Kyuhyun stops and looks at Jongwoon, shocked and speechless.

“Listen to me, Kyu,” Jongwoon continues calmly, looking at Kyuhyun.

“I’m sorry, hyung,” Kyuhyun says quickly. “I don’t mean to cut you off or interrupt you or not listen to you. I’m really just worried of Sooyeon… I’m sorry.”

Jongwoon smiles and says, “Then, you should listen to this, Kyu.”

Kyuhyun looks at Jongwoon questioningly as the older man unfolds a small piece of paper that he’s holding and shows it to Kyuhyun. “This is Jung Soohyun’s address in Las Vegas, Nevada,” Jongwoon tells Kyuhyun, pointing the tip of his finger on the address scribbled perfectly in the piece of paper. “This is his contact information, telephone, e-mail and even his fax number.”

Jongwoon leans back on his chair and looks at Kyuhyun who’s looking back at him, wide-eyed and mouth open.

“H-How, hyung?”

Jongwoon chuckles. “You’re welcome.”

“But seriously, hyung,” Kyuhyun grabs the piece of paper and stares at it the same way Jongwoon has been staring at Jung Soohyun’s name for the past hours. “How did you get this? Are you sure it’s Jung Soohyun as in Sooyeon’s father? Are you sure you get the right person?”

“Don’t you trust me at all?” Jongwoon asks in a fake sad tone of voice.

“No!”

“No? You don’t trust me, Kyu?”

“Yes! I don’t – I mean, no! No, hyung, of course, I trust you,” Kyuhyun answers quickly, looking like a complete dope. “I trust you with my life, hyung.” Now, that’s something Kyuhyun doesn’t mean to say and not that he doesn’t mean what he said. He means it so much that he’s worried Jongwoon might find it weird when he said that.

Jongwoon stares at Kyuhyun, dumbfounded. Kyuhyun doesn’t realize it but constantly, always, he’s catching Jongwoon off guard that the older one doesn’t know how to react to what he did or said. Because seriously, how does Jongwoon react to that?

“Me, too,” Jongwoon says, after a few seconds of silence.

“Huh?”

“Me, too,” Jongwoon repeats earnestly. “I trust you with my life, Kyu.”

Kyuhyun stares at Jongwoon, dumbfounded. Then, he smiles because he knows that it’s true.

“Have you had your lunch, Kyu?”

“No, hyung. Not yet. How about you?”

“I haven’t eaten lunch as well.”

“What, hyung?!” Kyuhyun suddenly panics. “Isn’t it bad for you to skip meals? Aren’t you supposed to be eating five times a day every four hours?”

“What?” Jongwoon laughs. “Where’d you get that? I’m not skipping meals, silly. And it isn’t five times! What am I, a glutton? It’s only three times a day every eight hours.”

“Oh,” Kyuhyun mutters. “I guessed I must have researched it wrong.”

“You researched?”

“Just a bit,” Kyuhyun admits, scratching the back of his head.

“I’m just wondering if you want to eat lunch together since we’ll be meeting at twelve,” Jongwoon says casually but seriously, he feels like he’s face is turning beet red.

And Kyuhyun? Well, he feels like he’s being asked on a date. Isn’t that weird? No, Cho Kyuhyun doesn’t feel weird at all. As a matter of fact, it feels so real and it feels so perfect for him. Unfortunately, though, the face of Satan-Yoona suddenly crosses his mind and he needs to get off this perfect reality for now, much to his disgust to Satan’s daughter on earth.

“I-I can’t, hyung,” Kyuhyun says quietly, leaning back on his chair and playing with the paper Jongwoon gave him because he can’t look at Jongwoon’s eyes now.

“Oh,” Jongwoon says, not taking it as well as he tells himself to. “I-It’s okay, Kyu. I understand. You must have some plans. It’s okay.”

“Actually, hyung,” Kyuhyun explains, this time catching Jongwoon’s gaze. “Yoona wants to meet me during lunch. She wants to tell me her plans for tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow?”

“Our date,” Kyuhyun almost chokes it out.

“Oh.”

“She said she’ll tell the whole school about Sooyeon’s situation and now that everything’s still messed up, it will only be harder for Sooyeon if this gets out now.”

“It’s okay, Kyu. You don’t have to explain to me. I understand.”

“I’m sorry, hyung.”

“No need for that, Kyu.”

“But I really am sorry, hyung.”

“And I still say there’s no need for that, Kyu.”

Jongwoon then stands up from his seat and slings his bag on his shoulder. “I should get going, Kyu. I hope you’re talk with Mr. Jung Soohyun goes well.” Then, he walks towards Kyuhyun and taps his shoulder lightly. “I’ll see you around.”

Kyuhyun grabs Jongwoon’s hand just before the older one walks passed him completely. He holds it and gives it a light squeeze. “Thank you, hyung.”

Jongwoon nods lightly and Kyuhyun lets go of his hand.

After Jongwoon has left, Kyuhyun stares at the piece of paper Jongwoon gave him. He forgot to ask Jongwoon how did he get his uncle’s information but more importantly, he forgot to ask him how did he learn Kyuhyun’s schedule when other than himself, the only person who knows Kyuhyun’s complete schedule is Yesung.

Come to think of it, when has he last talk to Yesung?

‘Hyung, I miss you.’