Chapter 46

Virtual Heart Shape Means Love?

Ever since Kyuhyun has been to that neighborhood, especially that park, he can’t seem to keep the place out of his mind. He knows he’s been there before. He’s sure of that, because he can feel it and even though he can’t quite put memories with that place on his head, he knows he’s been there before. It’s really weird, because every time Kyuhyun thinks about it, that place and the memories that can possibly remind him of that neighborhood back in time, his head only hurts and he has to stop.

From time to time, Kyuhyun will take the bus and go there, just to see the place itself, but mostly to think – think of things, of people, of events. Mostly, just to free himself from everything but his mind. Kyuhyun is a genius, that can’t be denied no matter how arrogant he can be about it sometimes (though at most, he’s just being a brat to his friends about it, not arrogant-arrogant bastard some geniuses can be), but there are things that sometimes, Kyuhyun forgets to think about. Sometimes he wonders if he really forgets, or he just chooses not to think about these things.

It helps when Kyuhyun is at that park, on that certain tree no one else seems to know about besides him. Those several times he visited the park, he knows the tree is big and it can be used to lean on or to rest on, but nobody has ever been there the whole time Kyuhyun is. There’s that time when Kyuhyun wonders if he’s already losing his mind and that tree doesn’t really exist but of course, there is that tree.

No matter how much he thinks though, there are really some things he can’t understand, or he chooses not to understand.

One time, Kyuhyun decides to walk through the neighborhood and again, he finds himself staring into that huge mansion. He doesn’t know why. It’s not his first time seeing a very, very huge house and it’s certainly not his first time to see once real close, but somehow it’s like something is drawing him in that house. He knows he hasn’t been there before. Unlike the park that Kyuhyun knows should be really familiar to him because he’s been there before, he knows he hasn’t been inside the mansion but still. There’s something in it and Kyuhyun can’t deny it that whatever it is, it’s drawing him in.

He’s aware that he probably looks a thief stalking the house he’s next going to rob considering how creepily he stares at it, like he’s boring holes in the house although Kyuhyun is no Superman.

But there’s something in it.

Kyuhyun wishes he knows.

“Ow!” somebody suddenly bumps into Kyuhyun as he is blankly staring (again) at the mansion one night. Kyuhyun doesn’t even realize that it’s already seven in the evening and he should probably head back now if he wants to finish his homework for tomorrow. But then, someone opens the mansion’s little door (there’s a little door in the huge gate, you see) and bumps into Kyuhyun who is, not exactly incidentally, in front of the mansion.

It looks like that someone’s probably in a hurry.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” Kyuhyun immediately says, bowing his head over and over again. He’s not sure if he’s saying sorry for standing in front of their house like a creep, or if bumping into that person because he’s standing in front of their house like a creep. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry…”

Jongwoon’s eyes widened. You got to be kidding me.

He slowly stands up and smoothens his long, delicate skirt and tries his best to remain calm. He should be alright. He should be alright. He keeps telling himself. He’s dressed as Hyesung and he can even fool himself sometimes that he has completely become Hyesung whenever he dresses up like her. So, there shouldn’t be anything to worry about. Jongwoon takes a deep breath. There shouldn’t be a problem except Kyuhyun is standing right in front of him.

He knows that he has resolved into telling Kyuhyun everything, admitting to him that he is Yesung and that Jongwoon and Yesung is only one person and everything behind it, but it’s not going to be when he is dressed as his older sister. Jongwoon sighs. This isn’t happening, is it?

But of course, it is.

Kyuhyun is staring at him like he has seen a ghost. (Well, perhaps he really is.)

Jongwoon wants to say something but he knows better.

Kyuhyun opens his mouth to say something, and closes it again, refuting the idea. Finally, he opens it again and says, “I’m sorry.”

No matter how much Jongwoon wants to tell him that it’s okay, that he’s not hurt and that he should go home now before his parents see him outside, he can’t speak, okay? He nods his head and smiles at Kyuhyun, and Kyuhyun thinks he is seeing the most beautiful girl in the world. They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that beauty is really subjective. Even when Kyuhyun tries to reason that she looks really ordinary, with long-sleeves cardigan and long skirt, still, for Kyuhyun, she looks absolutely beautiful.

Maybe, he hasn’t been staring because he’s seen a ghost but rather, an angel.

“I’m sorry for standing in your way,” Kyuhyun mutters sheepishly, “makes you crash into me.”

It’s okay.

“I’m just walking by,” Kyuhyun continues.

You’re not, Kyu. Jongwoon can’t help the smile coming up on his face.

Jongwoon knows it’s not safe. They can talk about this and everything else but not in front of their freaking house. He nods his head at Kyuhyun again and walks away. He’s supposed to be getting something from the nearby convenience store. He’s taken the day off because his mother’s sick and according to his father, it will really help ‘if Hyesung’s here.’ He’s had so many times like this to be hurt and ask his father, “How about if I’m here?” It’ll be really troublesome to change as Jongwoon and change as Hyesung when he comes back again. Besides, it’s already evening and he figures no one will notice anyway. Besides, who would think Kyuhyun will be standing out in front of their house? He decides to go out as Hyesung and this happens.

You got to be kidding me.

Jongwoon thinks that maybe, if he walks away, Kyuhyun’s common sense will come back to him, tell him that it’s already late, and he should get going to the dorm. He thinks that maybe, Kyuhyun will forget about what he saw and think that Jongwoon is just another girl who doesn’t want to talk to a stranger who’s creepily standing in front of their gate. He thinks that maybe, like him, Kyuhyun will walk away, but in the opposite direction of the neighborhood, not the one leading to the convenience store but to the bus stop.

But of course, Jongwoon only thinks that.

Kyuhyun doesn’t know why. Again, he loses his sense of reasoning when instead of going to the opposite direction of where the girl is going, he chooses to follow him. If stalking her house like that isn’t getting him to the police station enough, he follows her.

Jongwoon is aware of that, of course. He knows that Kyuhyun is following him and he is losing his mind because he doesn’t know what to do. Perhaps, he really should take Sooyoung and Joohyun’s advice to just tell him upfront, directly, with no beating around the bushes. But seriously, how can Jongwoon actually do that? Or, how can he even start?

“What are you worrying about so much, oppa?” Sooyoung asks him, slightly laughing at him although Jongwoon knows enough not to take offense. “Just tell him everything already. That simple!”

Truth is, it’s not that simple, Jongwoon thinks. Sooyoung and Joohyun think that it’s only about Jongwoon and Yesung being one and the same, but it’s more than that. Why did Jongwoon pretended in the first place? Why did he have to hide everything when Kyuhyun is asking to meet him? Why can’t he tell Kyuhyun the truth? What’s the reason behind it? Jongwoon sighs because he can’t really blame them. They don’t know, the same way Kyuhyun doesn’t know.

“Whatever it is, oppa,” Joohyun starts, looking seriously at Jongwoon and he seriously thinks that those rumors about her aren’t completely untrue. Of course, not that Jongwoon won’t be Joohyun’s friend anymore because of that but sometimes, Jongwoon thinks Joohyun can really read minds as Joohyun continues, “Tell him. If it’s you, I’m sure he’ll understand.”

Jongwoon isn’t sure he understands what Joohyun means but he nods his head anyway even though he has no idea when he’s going to have the courage to tell Kyuhyun about everything or how.

Jongwoon reaches the convenience store and he can’t even remember anymore what he’s supposed to be getting. He walks aimlessly around and hopes that no one will recognize ‘Hyesung’. It will be really creepy and scary because Hyesung is supposed to be dead. Everybody knows that but his mother. What if someone recognizes ‘Hyesung’ and burn him on the stake? Of course, Jongwoon might be exaggerating a little because he’s freaking out inside. Kyuhyun is also in the convenience store! He followed him (or her, for Kyuhyun probably) there!

Finally, Jongwoon remembers what he’s supposed to be getting: Post-its. Yes, it’s kind of ridiculous but he realizes he doesn’t have some and they don’t have any in that huge house of theirs. (It’s ridiculous, right? That in this big house with so many rooms and things and can fit five families comfortably and where we can exist without seeing each other, we don’t have Post-its, Jongwoon thinks.)

He looks around, careful not to say anything because that will give him away, when Kyuhyun suddenly appears in front of him with a pink Post-it on his hand. There’s a note: I’m sorry.

Jongwoon looks startled, but fortunately, he manages to keep his calm composure and takes the note from Kyuhyun because seriously, what can he do other than that? To be honest, Jongwoon wants to run away. He can’t believe this is even happening.

He looks at Kyuhyun and even though he is sure that what Kyuhyun is seeing is Hyesung, he still hopes that Kyuhyun will see right through the outfit, the wig, and the makeup.

Kyuhyun hands him a pad of Post-it. He doesn’t know how Kyuhyun knows he is looking for one or if Kyuhyun even knows, but whatever it is, Kyuhyun hands him a whole pad of Post-its, in four colors and different sizes. Then, Kyuhyun walks out of the convenience store as Jongwoon stares at him leaving, really dumbfounded.

What just happened?

Jongwoon finds out that there’s really no Post-its in the convenience store and what Kyuhyun gave him is probably his own.

As Kyuhyun walks towards the bus stop, he replays what happened in his mind. In his defense, he’s not sure what he really did. It’s just that when the girl didn’t talk as he apologized, it seems really, really nostalgic and he’s kind of worried he hurt the girl. So he followed her to the convenience store. He knows it’s really dumb that he gave her his pad of Post-its, but he’s really sorry he crashed into her in front of their house and he knows he should give her something more valuable, perhaps some sweets or something from the convenience store. But he doesn’t have much money and when he checks his bag, the pad of Post-its is really his best shot. She looks pretty surprised with it though, Kyuhyun thinks.

When he reaches the bus stop, Kyuhyun falls asleep while waiting for the bus and he wakes up to a nightmare entitled “Yoona”. He doesn’t know what’s scarier, the real Yoona in person or Yoona as his nightmare threatening to destroy everything that Kyuhyun loves until Kyuhyun becomes hers.

He shakes his head and tries to make the dizzy feeling go away as he begins thinking of Yoona. She’ll do it, right? She’ll stay away from me, right? That’s what Kyuhyun thinks.

But really, Kyuhyun should have waited for Yoona to agree on everything he said. He really, really should have waited. Because Yoona never agreed she’d do anything Kyuhyun asked her, did she?

She didn’t promise Kyuhyun she’s over him.

She didn’t promise Kyuhyun she’ll leave him – them – alone.

She didn’t promise Kyuhyun she’s done.

It’s really funny for Yoona, because at first, she’s only interested with Kyuhyun because of the fact that Kyuhyun is not interested with her. She can’t understand what’s going on Kyuhyun’s mind and she wants to get there, in Kyuhyun’s mind, but that never happened. She never realized that she’ll get to like Kyuhyun, despite him always trying to get her out of his face, despite him always pushing her away, despite him always reiterating that he doesn’t like her.

They think Yoona lost her leverage.

“It’s okay, oppa,” Sooyeon tells Kyuhyun, smiling at him widely even though it’s pretty obvious that she’s still not used with this, with people telling her mean things, with people avoiding them like they have some kind of contagious disease. She’s smiling for Kyuhyun, but the pain is for her and Miyoung.

“It’s not okay, Sooyeon,” Kyuhyun argues, looking desperately at Sooyeon. “I have to do something. I have to –”

“It’s okay,” Sooyeon repeats, reaching to hold Kyuhyun’s hand. “At least now, she will never be able to use it against you again. I’m really sorry, oppa… Even before, you’re putting up with her because you’re trying to protect me. Now, she can’t use it anymore against you… or us.” Sooyeon smiles at Kyuhyun again and this time, it’s also for them.

But that’s easy. That only means that Yoona has to find another.

Kyuhyun reaches for bus fare on his jacket’s pocket and along with the money is a pink Post-it with a note: I’m okay. Thank you.

He looks out at the window, the bus moving faster away from the neighborhood, as he softly asks although no one can hear him, “Have we met?”

 

 

 

A/N: “I believe that two people are connected at the heart, and it doesn't matter what you do, or who you are or where you live; there are no boundaries or barriers if two people are destined to be together.” – Julia Roberts

Updates are taking longer. I’m sorry. T_T My officer is really, really OC and constantly pressuring me to be “like her” though I can never be like her and I don’t want to be like her. Hence, the delay for updates. I was really surprised to see there were comments when I wasn’t even updating and thank you, you guys, for the “push”. So here’s an update!

I swear I’ll try to update faster.

And sorry for the rant. XD – Elle