CHAPTER 9

(EDITING) Letter from Prince Charming (왕자님으로부터온 편지)

"Mi Hyun come and sit here, eomma wants to talk to you," her mother called for her when she was about to enter her room.


"Ye eomma, what is it?" She smiled to her mother.


"I need just one favour from you." She paused before she continued, "I want you to go to America to accompany Hee Sun imo. Her son is going to go to a university in the UK and she's going to be alone."


Hee Sun is the younger sister of Mi Hyun's mom. She's a divorcee who lives together with his 22-year old son, Jungshin.


"Eomma, why is it so sudden? I don't think I want to go there. The flight there itself is already expensive. And the expenses, school and everything, who's going to pay for it? Umma you have to remember too that ever since Appa's gone, we've been having financial issues..."


She indirectly turned down the offer, thinking that it'd be a burden for her mother because she's been the one supporting her two children ever since the death of her husband.


Mi Hyun's dad passed away in June 2010. Her dad had been suffering from brain cancer, but have never told his children, except for his wife. Just like Mi Hyun, her dad had always preferred keeping things to himself in order not to worry anyone. Somehow, that similarity they shared brought made them closer to each other. During that time of her father's death, Mi Hyun was just on the way home from school when she received the news. It came off as a shock to her, it was what she had least expected. She had never thought that her father would be suffering from such illness. Because he had always looked fine.


"Ani. Before Appa passed away, he left behind a will for the both of you. He had set aside all his life savings for the both of you to support yourself.


"But still..... No. It's better that you just keep it. I don't want to go. It'll be troublesome for you. Just save the money that he had set aside for us. Let's not use it for things like this," the stubborn Mi Hyun refused.


Mi Hyun's mother then reminded her about how her aunt had taken care of her when she was young before moving to America. At that time, her mother had to make trips back and forth to the hospital because she was ill.


Finally after much persuasion.....


"Ara, let me think about it first. I'll give you the answer tomorrow morning. When is it anyway?"


Her mother smiled after hearing Mi Hyun saying that she would consider.


"Three weeks from now. Right after you are done with the last paper of your college entrance exams, you will leave for America."


"Oh"


"It's a good time for you to take a break too. You always look stressed or tired whenever you come back from school."


Mi Hyun just kept quiet.


She was given a few days to decide whether to go over to America and accompany her aunt for a year or stay. If she leave, she'd be missing too many things. She made up her mind. 


Eventhough high school have been painful for her, she would not want to miss graduation. She would not want to miss seeing Chen for the last time. And also spending graduation with Yura since she made plans to study overseas.


"Eomma............. mianhae. I don't think I want to go. There are many reasons why. I will think of other ways of how I can repay imo, don't worry about it."


Mi Hyun told her mother who was sitting across her at the dining table while the two are having their breakfast the next day. Her brother had already left for work.


"Arasso arasso, I will not force you since you don't want to go, it's ok." Her mom sounded disappointed.


Mihyun thought that staying was the best decision  that she has ever made. With her staying, she will not lose anything. The time spent with her bestfriend , the sight of Chen and her graduation before it's all gone. It was ridiculous to Yura though, how she still never give up on Jongdae but instead, stayed on despite the countless of times he had disappoint her. 


It was soon that she realised, she had made the wrong choice. 


"Ah.... young?" She quietly asked herself as she saw a familar looking girl inside Coffee Cojee, sitting at the table alone. She stopped and took a closer look. As she was just about to walk in to approach her bestfriend, a guy came to sit opposite her. Each of hands holding on to an iced latte, with a wide smile plastered on his face. 


"Jong....dae.....?" she voiced out.


'What are they doing together?'


She watched the two exchanging glances and smiling at each other while sitting at one table.  


She turned away completely to avoid more of what she had just seen. Her heart suddenly beats faster. Pain, hurt and betrayed, she felt it all at once. It's as though a knife has made its way through her heart. 


There's no need to assume anymore. It was obvious enough to her what kind of a pair they are. 


Tears start to form behind her eyes, but she didn't cry. 


'Because if I cry, I'm really admitting what kind of a fool I have been all these while.' she said to herself. 

*ding dong* the sound of the doorbell. 


Her mom opened the door, only to see her daughter crying so hard. 


"Eomma......" she pulled her mother into her embrace as she sobbed continuously.


Her mom just wrapped her arms around her daughter while constantly rubbing her back.


"Gwaenchanha gwaenchanha. Cry it out Mi Hyun-ie. Let it all out." her mom comforted her without asking the reason behind her tears. But she could feel it, the tears of sadness and hurt that she've bottled up for so long. 


'Mi-Hyunn-ie' that was the very first time her mother called her that. She remembered how Jongdae called her Mi Hyunn-ie in his letter to her. That thought made her cry harder. 


An hour passed, and she cooled down. She wiped her tears before getting ready to face her mother. She was embarrased that she had just wailed like a baby in front of her.


"Eomma....."


"Ye, my sweetheart, what is it?"


*breathes in*


"I've made up my mind. I will go to America."



 


A/N:
Comments would be nice :-)