CHAPTER 22

(EDITING) Letter from Prince Charming (왕자님으로부터온 편지)

For the next few days, it was like a routine. Chen would come to the hospital to visit Kai along with Baekhyun and Mi Hyun would come to visit her mother. And in a day, many times the two would passed by each other. Mi Hyun would become a little nervous when she walked pass him, but would pretend as though she didn't know him at all. Strangely enough, whenever she passed by him, she attracted his attention. 


"Look at her, look! She's so pretty!" Baekhyun carefully whispered to Chen when she walked passed the corridor. 


She heard everything, but turned a deaf ear. 


The more he looked at her, the more curious he became. He knew he had seen her before, but he couldn't recall when or where. 


The doctor had requested to extend a day for Mi Hyun's mother to stay, so that her condition would get better before she goes home. 


Chen was on his way to the vending machine to get drinks at the lobby, when he noticed Mi Hyun. 


Why do I always see her around all the time? He thought. 


He couldn't take how his mind has been filled with curiosity for the past few days. His curiosity soon grew into frustration. He had to ask her. 


"Jamkam-man!"


She turned. Stunned at the figure standing a few meters away from her. 


"By any chance, have we met before?"


Oh Mi Hyun! Ppali answer him! Don't wait too long he would notice there's something that you're hiding from him! she thought.


She gave him a reply, trying to look all natural, like as if nothing happened between them before. 


"Mwoh?" she chuckled. "Of course not. How could that be? I've never seen you around before, except for these past few days."


"Jungmall-yeo? But how come you look really familar?" he asked as he crossed his arms. 


"Well.... Maybe, you got the wrong person? You know my mother used to tell me that in this world, there are 7 people who looks exactly the same as you." she said as she held on to a can drink in her left hand.


"Interesting.... Well, maybe it's true though. *laughs*"....." Who are you here for anyway?"


"Uri eomma.... She fell and fainted the other day." 


"Ouch. That must hurt. Well, take care of her. I hope she recovers soon!" he gave her a warm smile. 


"Kamsahamnida! I shall make a move first?" she asked.


"Neh, bye! And I hope to see you again~" he waved at her who moved away from his sight. He then insert the coins that was in his hands into the vending machine. 


"Oh!" he suddenly remembered. 


Kim Jongdae, neo pabo-ya?! How can you not ask for her name! He thought.


He doesn't know why and how but she was like a magnet. The more he talked to her, the more he wanted to find out about her. She had a pair of big eyes and long wavy hair, she looked innocent and sweet. Throughout the past few months, there was no other girl made him feel this way. Who is she, really? That thought still lingers in his head. 


Meanwhile, in the lift lobby, 


" That was close" she thought. "Thank God he never asked for my name, or anything of that sort! I'm safe!"


Seattle, America

"The house became quiet after Mi Hyun left, isn't it?" Hee Sun asked her son. 


Jungshin quietly nodded. 


All the laughters, stories that they shared before, it all turned into memories now. The atmosphere in the house became different, it was empty. 


Jungshin went into the room that was once Mi Hyun's. He took a sit on her bed. Like he always do, he would come into this room greeted by her cousin who would be resting on the bed. They would often talk to each other for awhile which slowly lasted for an hour. But this time, the room was empty and quiet, with the bed made and things arranged in order neatly. 


As he about to leave the room, he felt an object on the floor. He moved away his feet to check what it was. An A3- sized hard paper lying on the floor, right beside the bed. He picked it up.


"What is this? A photo of a guy???" he turned the photo that was upside down. 


"Wait, isn't this..... Jongdae?! How did this ended up here?? Jamkam-man... does this belong to Mi Hyun? She knows him? But.... what is this even doing with her anyway? Wait....... so he is....." 


He took out his phone from his pocket. He remembered how Mi Hyun told him everything about the guy. How cruel he thought he was to treat a girl like that. Most of all, he couldn't imagined that it was his own friend who was doing it to his cousin. Although he has never met Chen for the past few years, he only remembered him as a kind, caring and sincere friend. Could he have changed?


'So you're the guy who broke my cousin's heart.'


'Now I know.'


'What kind of a person you are.'



He sent those messages to Chen who replied within a few seconds. 


"What are you talking about, hyung? I'm confused."


"I've got nothing else to say to you. Just recall."


Seoul, South Korea

Chen looked at those messages, thinking hard about the things his friend had just said. 


Could he have sent this message to the wrong person? He thought for awhile before realising how serious he was. He probably didn't, he told himself. Then he remembered the congratulatory photo that his cousin had sent him on his graduation day, he looked through the older messages to find it. He opened the image to take a look. 


To his surprise, it was the exact same girl that he has been seeing around the hospital for the past few days. The one whom he had a conversation with yesterday, the one who asked him for directions the first time they met. 


"So she's your cousin?! What's her name?" he asked his friend. 


"Yes. You're such a disappointment, really. I don't know if you're just putting on an act behind the handphone screen right now. But she's my cousin. And her name is Oh Mi Hyun." Jungshin gave him a cold reply. 


'So all along, it was her?!' he thought


"Hyung, it's nothing like that. I can explain. I can tell you now that it's all a misunderstanding." he tried to defend himself. 


"If it was a misunderstanding and you want to clear things up, it's not me whom you should talk to, but her." he replied back. 


"Sure. But can you give me her number? I think she got herself a new number" 


"What makes you think I will give you her new number to someone who broke her heart before?"


"It's okay if you don't want to. I have my ways. Kumawo. But what I'm going to tell you is, it's nothing like what you think it is."


There was no reply right after that.


Chen quickly ran to the lift, going up to the 9th floor that he remembered telling Mi Hyun where her ward was. Ward 84 Bed 4 he recalled whatever that was written on the paper she showed him a few days ago. 


As he reached the ward, the bed was empty and made. He turned to ask the nurse who was assisting the patient at the next bed. 


"Juhgiyo, this patient, where is she?" he lightly panted.


"Oh she went home this morning, with her daughter and her son." she replied him calmly.


"Is there any way that I can find out about her address?"


"Are you in any way, related to them?"


"Ani. But I'm the friend of her daughter."


"I'm sorry sir, there's no way that we can disclose our patient's personal information." 


He walked out of the ward, taking a sit at the side of the corridor. 


"Oh Mi Hyun, so it was you you all along? How did you look so different to the point that I can't even recognise you? I should have asked for your name yesterday... How am I going to find you now?" the unlucky guy asked himself.