Someday

Drabble Challenge (miscontinued)

~Someday


 

7. Donghae & Siwon

 

The dome above their lowered heads was painted with a palette of oranges and reds at this late time of the day. Rays of the last light were being filtrated through the stained glasses, and casted upon the ornamented pillars at the far corners behind the two silent boys. Even when pertly illuminated and mostly shrouded in thick shadows, the place held a serene clarity that only the ones willing to believe were gifted with the right to witness its majesty.

Having ended some time ago, the choir's angelic voices during the liturgy were as if still echoing around them, absorbed in the marbles and closing them in their gentle embrace. Overlapping melodies, all creating a greater tune, a unique symphony sent from Heaven... whispering ever so lightly in their ears. Hands folded for one more prayer, knees resting on the a-thousand-times walked-over floor, and eyes closed so as to let the spirit inside free. Lips mouthing words forever engraved in memory and then, the faintest of sighs.

 

Noticing the slight movement at his left, the older of the two finished the inner dialogue with his Father and slowly did the cross sign over his chest.

 

"Hyung..." said a soft voice, its owner tugging at the older's shirt.

Siwon looked at the pair big, droopy eyes focused on him.

"Does He really hear us?" questioned his brother, glancing nervously towards the crossed figure made of marble above the altar. His small hands closed tightly around the fabric of Siwon's shirt, and his lower lip quivered.

"Always..."

 

Donghae's stare didn't waver, till he felt his brother patting his head. 

"Mum says never to doubt His kindness, but only the credibility of our own words when we speak to Him."

Blinking a couple of times, Donghae quietly admitted that he couldn't understand.

 

"I don't either... yet." Twelve-years-old Siwon took a deep breath, inhaling the scent of the steadily burning candles, and stood up. Following instantly, seven-years-old Donghae hurried to his brother's side. Grasping his hand, the boy flashed a smile of a few missing teeth.

"I want to find it out with you, hyung!" Donghae stated with excitement, and his exclamation was underlined by his grumbling stomach.

 

Pinching the little boy's cheek affectionately and holding his right pinky outstretched, Siwon promised that someday, for sure they would find out. Someday...