Snowball

Drabble Challenge (miscontinued)

~Snowball


 

14. Siwon & Henry

 
 
Christmas was Henry's favourite holiday. If it was up to him, summer holiday would be replaced by three months of Christmas. He was always pouting whenever his mum would tell him that wasn't possible, angry at whomever was responsible for keeping Christmas so short.
 
Of course there are many reasons that can justify why this particular period was 6-years-old Henry's favourite: lots of delicious food, presents, no school, trips to the winter fair, special programs on TV... The most important reason of all though, was the return of his older brother at home. There was a ten-year between him and Siwon, and the older was studying at a private academy since finishing elementary school; somewhere far at the countryside. Everyone was so proud of him, Henry included. Even though he couldn't quite grasp the importance behind his brother being a student of such a  well-known institute, Henry always felt awe upon seeing him dressed in his exclusively tailored uniform, the light shining on the gold thread the school's crest was sewed with on the right side of the dark red blazer.
 
Siwon had developed a habit: every year on Christmas, he was giving Henry a snowball as a present. Perhaps not the best gift for a little boy, but Siwon was really bad at picking things like that. Besides, baby Henry had curiously examined his first snowball ever and since then, Siwon was bringing him a new one every December.
 
 
This year, Henry could barely contain his gleeful yell once the glass ball was unwrapped.
 
"It's like a go-cart track!" 
 
The young boy excitedly peered in the glass, examining with twinkling eyes every detail. Turning the snowball up and down, Henry watched the tiny flakes falling slowly upon miniature cars, pit-stops, tiers, lights, flags... His chubby cheeks making his grin ten times cuter, Henry tightly hugged his brother. 
 
 
"Hyung! You're the best!"
 
Siwon patted the boy's head, helping him carry the grapefruit-sized snowball in his room later that night. There, Siwon gave the glass ball another twirl before placing it next to the rest four of its kind. 
 

 

"Next year, I'll find an even bigger one," he promised to Henry, and the little boy fell asleep watching the white flakes dancing in the clear liquid, his brother's arms protectively holding him all night long.