Apple

Drabble Challenge (miscontinued)

~Apple


 

29. Yesung & Sungmin

 

Saturday morning was always centered around shopping. Yesung had to occupy his apartment to last for a week, since his job allowed him no free time mid-week in order to venture at the supermarket. Sliding his cart along the aisles, the young man crossed out a few items from the shopping list he had carefully prepared. 

"Let's se, hmm," he murmured to himself, doodling on the paper's corners while thinking. "Shampoo, chlorine -the lemon scented one-, this week's offer of five kilograms of rice, paprika flavoured crackers, hmm..."

Drawing lines over a few more things, he turned to the fruit-and-vegetables aisles, zig-zagging skillfully between other shoppers.

"Half a kilo of tomatoes and a few green peppers," he mumbled, an old couple nearby giving him weird side-glances. "Six lemons, a pack of strawberries and one mango. Oh! And a few cucumbers, hmm..."

 

Filling his cart with the rest of necessities, Yesung proceeded to weighting them. Given the rush hour of grocery shopping, the line was pretty lengthy. By the time his turn had come, the man had softly sang along to three pop hits faintly heard from the supermarket's speakers.

 

"Good morning, sir."

Brought out of his slight daze suddenly, Yesung blinked confused. "Ah, I-I'm sorry. Here." 

Handing the bags over for weighting, Yesung noticed that the usual clerk was absent. In the place of that scary old hag was a man probably younger than him. His hair had the colour of dark honey, the long locks tied neatly to a pony-tail. His skin was fair and clear of any marks, his lips full and forming a concentrated pout as he was pressing the the cashier's buttons.

 

"Sir, could you give me your mango? I have to weight it too."

Faking an embarrassed cough, Yesung realised he had been staring this whole time, the mango tightly clutched against his chest.

"Oh! Erm... yes, here."

 

Let me slap myself, ohmygod! - he thought for a single moment, but then the clerk smiled.

 

"Have you tried our apples, sir? They're the new harvest..." the brunet asked and Yesung wanted to spend the rest of the day just looking at his gentle eyes. And when the beautiful creature that clerk was offered him an apple from the tall pile as well as a second smile, Yesung decided that his favourite fruit was cherry no more.

In the end, the young man left the supermarket with a bag of red apples added to the rest of his supplies, and a post it in his pocket. On the small paper, Sungmin​ was scribbled in a hurry under a phone number.