Rose

Drabble Challenge (miscontinued)

~Rose


 

32. Donghae & Kyuhyun

 

Anytime now, Donghae would make his appearance. Just like every other Thursday evening, he was working the late night shift at the neighborhood's family restaurant. Normally, Kyuhyun would complain about the stench of barbecued pork emanating from every pore of the young man's body but today, that was the least of Kyuhyun's concerns. Fidgeting nervously, Kyuhyun was doing his best to keep from pacing up and down in front of the restaurant's staff-entrance.

"!" he hissed and ran his fingers through his brown-red hair.

Abruptly halting, he shook his head and took a deep breath. He would stubbornly see his impulsive plan through, even if his ears were already painted an embarrassed crimson. The door opened behind his the moment he made up his mind, and Donghae emerged from the kitchen, exhausted and curry-scented.

 

"Hey," he greeted, stifling a huge yawn behind his hands. The taller man nodded in return, his heart racing wildly on his chest.

"Man... I can't wait to get home," Donghae mumbled and stretched his aching arms above his head, then locking the restaurant's door and beckoning the younger to follow.

 

"Wait!"

Struggling with words as the shorter man blinked questioningly at him, Kyuhyun produced a single rose from his jacket's pocket. A yellow one it was, discovered on his way to Donghae's work-place, on the side-walk outside a florist's shop. Probably left behind by a delivery boy in a hurry... Kyuhyun had picked it up without thinking, protected it in his pocket without any intention of using it in such way. And still, the more he was getting closer to the small restaurant, the more he couldn't stop thinking about the way Donghae's sad eyes would light up if he'd offered it to him... how his gentle smile would reveal his crooked front teeth, his messy hair hiding his round cheekbone's...

 

"Hyung... will you go out with me?"

Anxiously biting his lip and gaze lowering on the ground, Kyuhyun felt the rose leaving his grip, only to be replaced by Donghae's hand. The older man smiled indeed, his face partly hidden behind the yellow petals, welcoming the sweet scent after the long hours over burning stoves.

 

"Yes!"