Pages

Drabble Challenge (miscontinued)

~Pages


 

56. Leeteuk & Yesung

 

The hushed conversations of students and the the whispers of book pages turning were quite welcome sounds to Jongwoon's ears. He had never been a studious kid, and that wasn't about to change now, in his senior year of high school. But ever since that little game had begun, the boy had come to appreciate the peace and quiet of the school's library. 

He carefully studied the rows of books, double-checking the number scribbled on a piece of paper, the torn-out corner of a notebook. Jongwoon had been twisting it in his hands since that morning, when he had found it in his modern history textbook, a pleasant surprise interrupting the boring flow of World War II information.

 

"314.1..." he muttered the book's self-code softly, then checked his phone for the time, conscious about the narrow time-limits of recess. Finally, he spotted the book he was looking for and pulled it out of the self. It was a rather small textbook about the different kinds of bacteria cultures that could be found in a household's kitchen. Jongwoon shook his head as he quickly flipped through the pages; Jungsoo's choice of books would always be weird. Suddenly, a bright green post-it flew from the pages, and the boy flailed his hands awkwardly as he tried to catch it in the air.

 

-- Psychologists estimate that we will fall in love about seven times in our lives! Six to go ;) -- read the brief note in Jungsoo's somewhat messy hand-writing. 

Jongwoon rolled his eyes at the gross  line and safely put the little paper away in his blazer's pocket, a faint blush dusting his cheeks and a smile lighting up his eyes. Taking out a notebook from his backpack, he tore a piece of paper and scribbled an answer, then hid the note in the same book and put it back on its self.

 

-- You're disgusting, why do I even like you...

 

 

 

 

 

But, if possible, I don't care about using my remaining six, only experiencing the first one to its fullest <3 --

 

This game had started out of boredom one evening during self-study. Jungsoo had returned from his bathroom break with a sly grin adorning his features, explaining in excited whispers about a secret note that Jongwoon had to find in the library. His only hint had been that it was located in a book somewhere in the Arts section, and Jongwoon had pointed his middle finger at him. If Jungsoo thought that Jongwoon was bored enough to go look through every damn book in the library, he was mistaken! Or not... Curiosity won over boredom and the next day Jongwoon found himself doing exactly what he had dreaded doing.

-- Let's go eat ssamgyeopsal once tests are over! -- read the folded note found in an art-nouveau textbook. Jongwoon used the same piece of paper to curse at Jungsoo for making him go through that hassle just for a simple lunch invitation, and that, yes, he would like ssamgyeopsal, thank you very much!

It became a habit afterwards, something to look forward in their dull, repetitive senior lives. It was just a game but Jongwoon couldn't help but feel his chest tighten in sweet anticipation every time he'd discover a new note. Something special, only for him. Despite his constant grumbling about what a pain it was to look through the whole library, he secretly enjoyed the attention... because he knew they were highschool seniors and innocent games would be over once the school year ended.