Train

Drabble Challenge (miscontinued)

~Train


 

38. Kyuhyun & Henry

 

A hundred different noises were bombarding the little boy's ears and a multitude of pictures were mercilessly attacking his innocent eyes.

"Kyuhyun! Don't let go of your brother!"

The boy's lower lip trembled at his mother's desperate tone, and he peered at his brother. Kyuhyun looked like he had aged ten years in a single night. "Hyung..."

The hand around his wrist tightened in response, and they kept pushing their way in the frantic crowd, fighting to reach the soon-departing train.

"Kyuhyun! Hurry up!"

 

Their mother was holding their flannel bags, protecting their few possessions from any lurking thief. Even if she was running ahead of them to make way, only Kyuhyun knew she would ultimately stay behind - she had to. The bombs had started falling last night, a sneaky attack from the enemy's part. In times of war, no one respected nothing. The shaken up government called for all kids under the age of fourteen to be sent at the countryside, away from the terror reigning in cities. The first couple of trains had already left, still hundreds of children waiting. Kyuhyun's and Henry's mother was forced to sell her golden wedding ring and her grandmother's pearl earrings in order to secure a place in the next route for them.

 

"Hurry up!"

Tugging Henry forward, the two kids squeezed between a wailing lady and a huge luggage cart.

"Quickly, come!"

Securing the bags' straps on the boys' backs, the woman couldn't stop the tears flowing from her eyes - just like she couldn't help her children any further.

"Mum, why are you crying? Mum..." Henry's little hand brushed the woman's cheek, his own eyes stinging as tears were gathering.

 

"Let's go."

His older brother's firm voice rang in Henry's ears, and the boy sobbed.

"Mum... MUM!"

A new wave of people pushed them to the train's doors and onto the packed compartment, tearing the young boys away from their mother.

"NO! MUM!" Henry thrashed and kicked in Kyuhyun's hold, his chest tightening at the piercing sound of steam being released from the engine. They were leaving.

 

Kyuhyun located their mum in the frenzied crowd, the realisation of his responsibility knocking the breath from his lungs. He nodded at her, not trusting his voice or hands. Pulling Henry among the rest of the kids on the train, Kyuhyun couldn't help feeling guilty they were leaving her behind... that while war was raging, he and his little brother would be safe, far in the countryside...