Tea

Drabble Challenge (miscontinued)

~Tea


 

45. Hangeng & Henry

 

The electric kettle's switch snapped back to its original place as the water inside reached boiling temperature. Henry swiftly poured hot water in the aligned cups on the counter before him. The tea bags floated for a few seconds before the leaves  soaked, and then twirled to the bottom.

"Would you like a lemon cookie along with your tea, ma'am?" the young man asked one of the customers, his smile shining as bright as the small oval plate pinned on his chest. The woman shook her head and carefully took her tea.

 

It was just another busy morning at the coffee shop Henry was working part-time. The next customer in line had Henry extending his hand for a friendly handshake.

"Hangeng, my bro? Whassup?" he greeted enthusiastically in English, knowing by now that the older man didn't mind his familiarity. The office-suit clad guy rolled his eyes but accepted the gesture nevertheless. Over the past two months, he had grown used to the transfer student from Canada and his cheery attitude.

 

"Good morning," Hangeng answered, wearily rubbing the sleepiness away from his eyes as Henry turned around to prepare the usual mint tea the older man preferred. He knew that the other workers at the coffee shop were whispering behind his back, condemning the way he was confident around someone older - and one with an actually steady job, on top of that. But Henry didn't mind. They couldn't change his Western ways, nor stop him from greeting a guy who seemed so miserable every single morning.

 

"Here," the younger said, leaning closer to Hangeng and whispering conspiratorially to him. "I poured a little cognac in there, I hope you don't mind!" He straightened his body and laughed, awkwardly rubbing the back of his head. "The weather's getting colder and colder!" Henry explained.

Offering a rare smile, Hangeng in reality was more thankful than he would ever show.