Coach

Drabble Challenge (miscontinued)

~Coach


 

20. Hangeng & Donghae

 

At first, Donghae had disliked the high-school's football coach. Something about him was unnerving, scary even. Slowly, that dislike molded into hate, an emotion burning so strong that sometimes, the young boy couldn't believe it was possible for a human to hate another being so much. His mind still half-mature, Donghae didn't stop to wonder why he was feeling that way. The only fact in his half-adult mind was that coach Hangeng of 15th Mokpo's public high-school, was putting the team through the hardest practice they had even gotten. They even exchanged harsh words, Donghae yelling in front of the whole team that the man was taking out on them whatever problem he had, that because he was never good enough, he was pushing more and more the adolescent boys. Hangeng had glared coldly at the boy, his gaze sharper through the light rain that was falling since that morning.

 

"There will come a time, when you'll be grateful that I didn't pamper you like everyone else..." the coach icyly said, trying to keep calm. He demoted Donghae from the position as the team's captain.

 

That occured during the boy's first year as a serious, high-school student. And when - a few years later - his team and him were standing in the middle of their school's football court for the last time, victoriously holding the regional championship's cup above their heads, Hangeng's words came to the now young adult's mind. Donghae's tears of victory mixed with tears of regret - sweet with bitter - and he grabbed his coach in a bone-breaking hug.

 

"You did well..." the man whispered, so that only Donghae could hear him, his voice choked by his own tears.

 

These three words were enough to Donghae - enough to forget every sleepless night he had to endure due to various injuries, or the meals he skipped in order to catch up to his studies. All that were meaningless before the honour and pride the team acquired. Mustering his courage, Donghae looked deep in his mentor's eyes.

 

"You were right," he steadily said, and Hangeng felt like he had accomplished more in this world than anyone else.

 


 

Wow 20/100 are already written! I really have taken a liking in those little ones~ and, perhaps a comment wouldn't hurt...?